The Metalhead thread

Zizou-5

I was wondering about how you lot got into metal. I'm guess many will be like myself and are a product of the nu-metal era. I really wasn't into music that much before then. I had some albums and it was mostly a mix of rock/indie stuff like the Manics and The Verve.

Limp Bizkit were the first band I got into...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLqNmUnRoiw

and then there was all the other stuff like Slipknot, Korn, Papa Roach and Linkin Park I got into as a result. I spent so much of my time at school when I was 15/16 listening to albums like Hybrid Theory, Follow the Leader and Iowa.

I knew people at school who were a bit more into their metal so after a while I started listening to bands that they recommended like Metallica, Iron Maiden, In Flames and Nine Inch Nails. I soon reached the point where I was discovering bands for myself. I still find it a buzz when I hear a band for the first time and I think "This sound awesome!"

I was wondering about how you lot got into metal. I'm guess many will be like myself and are a product of the nu-metal era. I really wasn't into music that much before then. I had some albums and it was mostly a mix of rock/indie stuff like the Manics and The Verve.

Limp Bizkit were the first band I got into...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLqNmUnRoiw

and then there was all the other stuff like Slipknot, Korn, Papa Roach and Linkin Park I got into as a result. I spent so much of my time at school when I was 15/16 listening to albums like Hybrid Theory, Follow the Leader and Iowa.

I knew people at school who were a bit more into their metal so after a while I started listening to bands that they recommended like Metallica, Iron Maiden, In Flames and Nine Inch Nails. I soon reached the point where I was discovering bands for myself. I still find it a buzz when I hear a band for the first time and I think "This sound awesome!"

It was one of my mates needing some cash and he sold me all his Black Sabbath albums that got me into metal. Bands like Judas Priest and Iron Maiden got me well into it and also some of the older bands like Deep Purple and Led Zeppelin. Love Metallica too. I try and get to three of four gigs a year. Bullet for my Valentine was the last oneand it was great.

Just checked my e-mails and one of my mates had sent me a link to these 'chaps'. Anyone seen them live or heard any of their other stuff?

I saw them support Sonata Arctica, and they were very impressive. They're one of the "darling" bands on an online radio station I listen to, so despite not owning an album, I know most of their stuff.

Some good stuff, and given the reaction they got as a support band, they should have a bright future ahead of them.

14th April, at the O2 ABC.

Tickets are around £16 if I remember correctly, but there's none left in Tickets Scotland, you'll have to order them online. Suddenly, £16 becomes £22 dry.gif

I've genuinely never seen Saxon put in anything less that an excellent performance. Thursday should be no exception.

Was at this last night and was excellent, Biff still has good pair of lungs and a 2 hour set, well worth the money

Wtf has happened to The Haunted? I recall when they were particularly solid thrash band whose output was consistently aggressive and engaging. However their latest album really is a crock of shit. Biggest disappointment of the year so far for me, it sounds like poorly written nu metal trash.

Wtf has happened to The Haunted? I recall when they were particularly solid thrash band whose output was consistently aggressive and engaging. However their latest album really is a crock of shit. Biggest disappointment of the year so far for me, it sounds like poorly written nu metal trash.

I was disappointed with Unseen as well...besides the title track the albu was pretty "meh" to me on first listen, willing to give it another shot though....

They're miles away from the Made Me Do It/One Kill Wonder albus now :( but I really really like The Dead Eye and Versus.....

The legendary guitarist has announced his retirement from Priest with immediate effect.

Judas Priest guitarist K.K. Downing has announced that he has retired from the band with immediate effect. Downing will not be joining the band on their upcoming Epitaph tour and will be replaced by 31-year old former Lauren Harris guitarist, Richie Faulkner.

http://www.metalhammer.co.uk/news/k-k-downing-retires-from-judas-priest/

The timing of this seems a bit odd with this final tour being so close to starting.

I don't know what to think of KK quitting Priest. You have to wonder if there was some huge falling out between him and the rest of them or if he just doesn't feel like doing it anymore. It just seems a bit peculiar as it's billed as their final tour but there was also talk of them working on new material just a few weeks ago. Have seen them a couple of times and still thinking about going to the Glasgow show.

Richie Faulkner playing with Metalworks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TIySmtxbi0

Looks commanding and got a good rhythm but K.K will be missed sorely - RF's wasn't even born when they started playing!

Won't happen with Faulkner but Travis's drumming sounds a lot stronger than Holland's latter stuff did with JP.

Official statement from KK Downing.

Shame as it's meant to be a final tour but it must have been pretty bad to make him decide to bail.

"Dear friends,

"It is with much regret that I will not be with you this summer.

"Thank you all from the bottom of my heart for your concerns about my health. Please rest assured that I am OK.

"There has been an ongoing breakdown in working relationship between myself, elements of the band, and the band's management for some time. Therefore I have decided to step down rather than to tour with negative sentiments as I feel that this would be a deception to you, our cherished fans. However, I would urge you to please support the PRIEST as I have no doubt that it will be a show not to be missed.

"All my love and respect."

Recently i have been preferring listening to Metallica S&M rather than the normal versions.

Is there any other metal band who could do such a thing successfully?

By that i mean make an album with an orchestra and it not sound crap.

Edited by Bowers

Recently i have been preferring listening to Metallica S&M rather than the normal versions.

Is there any other metal band who could do such a thing successfully?

By that i mean make an album with an orchestra and it not sound crap.

Dimmu Borgir are doing a gig next month in Oslo with the Norwegian Radio Orchestra and Choir. If I could afford it I'd love to see that.

dimmu-orchestra.jpg