The Metalhead thread

Zizou-5

On 19/04/2023 at 20:02, jagfox said:

Anybody remember this wee gem? 

Judgement Knight soundtrack

An album of rap rock crossovers from 1993(?)

A few bangers in there. Apologies if rap/hip-hop is anathema to your ears*

* not sorry 🤣

Loved this album, although ironically for a rap/rock fusion album the best track was actually from Teenage Fanclub and De La Soul! 😂

On 19/04/2023 at 20:02, jagfox said:

Anybody remember this wee gem? 

Judgement Knight soundtrack

An album of rap rock crossovers from 1993(?)

A few bangers in there. Apologies if rap/hip-hop is anathema to your ears*

* not sorry 🤣

Aye, I had that. Slayer doing a trio of Exploited songs with Ice-T, and I quite liked Faith No More's tune with Boo-Yaa TRIBE (although I'm not sure the former had much to do with it). The film itself was utterly forgettable.

I believe 1993 was when the Last Action Hero soundtrack came out too, with a number of crackers from bands like Megadeth and Anthrax that were only available on that album. I seem to remember Megadeth recording another cracking song for the Beavis & Butthead soundtrack around the same time too, so somebody in Hollywood was working overtime in licencing quality music.

On 30/04/2023 at 10:12, parsforlife said:

If this is what a world without ETID is going to sound like then bring it on.

Greg Puciato is a fucking hero. For me he's one of those guys that when you hear he's involved you don't need to wonder if it will be good. And the main thing is if you played DEP, Killer Be Killed, The Black Queen and Jerry Cantrell's last solo album for someone, you'd have a tough time getting them to believe it's all the same guy.

On 30/04/2023 at 11:30, BTFD said:

Aye, I had that. Slayer doing a trio of Exploited songs with Ice-T, and I quite liked Faith No More's tune with Boo-Yaa TRIBE (although I'm not sure the former had much to do with it). The film itself was utterly forgettable.

I believe 1993 was when the Last Action Hero soundtrack came out too, with a number of crackers from bands like Megadeth and Anthrax that were only available on that album. I seem to remember Megadeth recording another cracking song for the Beavis & Butthead soundtrack around the same time too, so somebody in Hollywood was working overtime in licencing quality music.

Another Body Murdered by FNM and Boo-Yaa Tribe is still amazing! Spawn is probably my favourite soundtrack in that kinda area though.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw Metallica in Paris and while the band and crowd were awesome it's worth pointing out that this particular stage set-up is pretty w**k - we ended up in roughly the same spot both nights and for large chunks of the gig couldn't see any members of the band at all due to the raised sections of stage that allow for access to the Snake Pit

Also ... I know it's a bit pantomime anyway but they didn't do any of the encore/one more song routine on either night - just wrapped it up after Master on night 1 and Sandman on night 2 - did seem a bit odd.

Edited by Ned Nederlander

44 minutes ago, Derek Patterson said:

Maiden set from the first show of the Future Past tour.

OOFT!

Good few that haven't been played in decades and the big guns from Senjutsu.

I am going to be a wibbling mess that night.

Fortress was a blast:~

Wode
Can Bardd

Winterfylleth

Nemerous

Ard
Cenotaph

All ruled. I spent way too much money. Roll on Fortress 2024.

On 10/06/2023 at 19:30, GNU_Linux said:

What is objectively the best metal album ever turned 20 a couple of days ago

It still doesn't get respek

Back in 2015 a guy re-recorded the full album by himself (apart from the vocals which are a different guy), used more conventional production and shortened it by a total of 15 mins.

It's REALLY good.

1 hour ago, Al B said:

Back in 2015 a guy re-recorded the full album by himself (apart from the vocals which are a different guy), used more conventional production and shortened it by a total of 15 mins.

It's REALLY good.

This is probably an unpopular opinion, but I've always felt that Metallica could use an editor, even in the classic days.

Just absolute masters of guitar riffs and dynamics, James Hetfield's a great frontman and vocalist, Kirk Hammett's leads usually work really well, and Lars is...well, also there. But I could never really get into them because I'm usually bored by the end of a lot of their songs, and I can never make it through a whole album.

I'd suggest the biggest difference between them and Megadeth was that Mustaine was a stronger songwriter.

On 12/06/2023 at 10:33, Al B said:

It's REALLY good.

They’ve intermittently had the odd St Anger song or two feature in their live sets over the years. St Anger and Frantic in particular are fucking dynamite live minus the tin can drums, and I think that’s gone some way to softening the overall dislike of the album.

On 12/06/2023 at 12:25, BTFD said:

This is probably an unpopular opinion, but I've always felt that Metallica could use an editor, even in the classic days.

Just absolute masters of guitar riffs and dynamics, James Hetfield's a great frontman and vocalist, Kirk Hammett's leads usually work really well, and Lars is...well, also there. But I could never really get into them because I'm usually bored by the end of a lot of their songs, and I can never make it through a whole album.

I'd suggest the biggest difference between them and Megadeth was that Mustaine was a stronger songwriter.

How do you figure that? Metallica have always been the far bigger, more popular of the two bands, even prior to the Black album and Metallica’s commercial success. 

I would say Mustaine is a way faster and more technically gifted guitar player, but stronger songwriter? Nah. 

17 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

They’ve intermittently had the odd St Anger song or two feature in their live sets over the years. St Anger and Frantic in particular are fucking dynamite live minus the tin can drums, and I think that’s gone some way to softening the overall dislike of the album.

How do you figure that? Metallica have always been the far bigger, more popular of the two bands, even prior to the Black album and Metallica’s commercial success. 

I would say Mustaine is a way faster and more technically gifted guitar player, but stronger songwriter? Nah. 

Let's not venture down the <x> sold more than <y> path when discussing quality, or one of us will end up stanning the Backstreet Boys, and it ain't gonna be me!

I like Megadeth's songs a lot more, and have sat through an entire album on many occasions. Much as I've liked Metallica's sound and parts of songs, they've almost always lost me by the end of the record. Which is a shame as their highs were very high indeed, and I always wanted to like them more than I did.

Bit of a moot point in a world where Slayer used to exist, right enough.

On 12/06/2023 at 10:33, Al B said:

It's REALLY good.

I took over the horror/metal society and became president when I was at Strathclyde Uni ((oh man 2009 was so long ago...)) and put up posters and stuff trying to attract enough members to keep it going. One dude turns up from one of the colleges across the road and his opening introduction was "I like St. Anger." and he insisted on calling himself The St Anger Kid at subsequent meetings, even though we knew his name was David. Despite all this we let him stay and he is my friend on facebook still. I may send him this and see his reaction...

For the current discussion ; idk who's better. I like more Metallica songs, but I could never stomach a full album or call myself a fan. I like one Megadeth song and one cover of a Megadeth song and that's all.  YET I feel that for myself, and others I know, the big barrier that comes up between liking and LOVING Megadeth is Mustaine's voice.

@BTFD said Mustaine was a stronger songwriter. So let's skip the sales, crowd, money, influences talk and get down to what I think is maybe the real issue.
Metallica with Dave's voice OR Megadeth songs with Hetfield vocals
in my non-fan-of-either opinion, it's really the only way to decide who's the best songWRITER. And I think Ginger Dave can maybe write a tune but Papa Het would be better at vocalising it.