The Metalhead thread

Zizou-5

Worked out my Damantion plans:

Alunah, The Infernal Sea, Carnation, Dawn Ray'd, Blood Red Throne, MGLA, Enter Arma, Primordial, Birds in a Row, Alcest, Gaahl's Wyrd, Mayhem, Venom Prison and Opeth.

Seriously hyped about Blood Red Throne, MGLA, Birds in a Row and Mayhem.

On 27/10/2019 at 16:16, Comrie said:

Alunah, The Infernal Sea, Carnation, Dawn Ray'd, Blood Red Throne, MGLA, Enter Arma, Primordial, Birds in a Row, Alcest, Gaahl's Wyrd, Mayhem, Venom Prison and Opeth.

Enjoy.  I'm giving Damnation a miss this year as the line up just didn't excite me enough.  Last year the very first announcement had me buying a ticket.  That Voices/Primordial clash though.

To make up for it I'm going to Cattle Decap and Opeth next week.

Judas Priest at Bloodstock :lol:
Since when did they have bookings that matched two years ago?

Ach why not, they’re going to be touring for their 50th anniversary, they’re still a big draw and have all the gimmicks, theatrics and catalogue to put on a quality show. Should probably make the most of it whilst they’re still around too.

44 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

Ach why not, they’re going to be touring for their 50th anniversary, they’re still a big draw and have all the gimmicks, theatrics and catalogue to put on a quality show. Should probably make the most of it whilst they’re still around too.

Yeah, I get the logic. Bloodstock just didn't strike me as the sort of fest to do that.

Aye, bit of a strange one in that they’ve simultaneously got three bands I love headlining and yet I can see they’re an underwhelming set of headliners, if that makes sense. They’ve repeated headliners with a three year gap before - Slayer, Megadeth - but never two.

I suppose Priest are legitimately the biggest headliner they’ve ever had and you can make the argument for a festival of that stature it’s akin to Sonisphere having Metallica twice in three years. No one minds because it’s that big a band and they have some big occasion to differ it from the last time - with Metallica and Soni it was the Big Four, with Bloodstock it’s Priest’s 50th anniversary.

If they were repeating someone who’s not as big a deal like Nightwish over such a short space of time all hell would break loose, akin to when Download rebooked Def Leppard that soon and had their worst attended year, but I reckon they’ll be fine for all that I’d have rather had Mercyful Fate.

There are still some suggestions that Mercyful Fate might be booked as special guests, but I can’t see it myself.

Assuming they aren’t, that’s three years running Bloodstock has missed out on someone ideal for what you’d see as their ‘traditional fanbase’ between Helloween, Demons & Wizards and now Mercyful Fate (also Manowar but their financial demands and ego stopped them ever being realistic). I’d be interested to know how much of this is a deliberate decision and how much is financially enforced, eg would the fee to book a band who can command headline slots at much larger European festivals as special guests be detrimental to the line-up as a whole as they’d have to save so much money elsewhere, or are they just choosing to go in a more straight ahead musical direction ignoring bands in certain niches, such as power and folk metal, regardless of how their long-time attendees feel about it?

I’ve generally defended Bloodstock’s bookings which have been seen as controversial by the stereotypical traditional attendee, particularly the headliners. People complaining that Trivium, Parkway Drive or even Gojira are somehow the wrong type of metal or not metal at all, while simultaneously praising the booking of some clapped out cock-rockers like Scorpions, is pretty hilarious. However it’s always been a platform for bands in more niche genres to play to a UK audience, when they can’t sustain a UK tour in venues anywhere near the size they’re accustomed to playing in Europe. It’d be a shame if that was to stop in favour of a pile of bands you can reliably see on tour every couple of years or will play Download as well anyway.

On 27/10/2019 at 16:16, Comrie said:

How was Damnation?  I heard Mayhems set had some issues with the sound but at least it sounds like the fire alarm didn't go off this year.

45 minutes ago, NorthernLights said:

How was Damnation?  I heard Mayhems set had some issues with the sound but at least it sounds like the fire alarm didn't go off this year.

Opeth and Mayhem struggled with the acoustics on the Jager stage. Primordial's sound went completely out on their second song.

Almost everyone else was alright to great, with Birds in a Row being the lowpoint and Big Business/Dawn Ray'd/Blood Red Throne being highlights.

Anyone go to An Evening With Robb Flynn last night?

I did. Thoroughly enjoyable night - decent set and the Burn My Eyes stuff sounded great live. Kontos is fucking immense as well. Even met Mr Flynn in the Cathouse after the gig as well.

I did. Thoroughly enjoyable night - decent set and the Burn My Eyes stuff sounded great live. Kontos is fucking immense as well. Even met Mr Flynn in the Cathouse after the gig as well.

I was expecting to feel disappointed that I couldn’t make it this morning but I didn’t. Just kind of ‘meh’...

I was expecting to feel disappointed that I couldn’t make it this morning but I didn’t. Just kind of ‘meh’...

I was probably more excited due to the fact it was the first of me seeing them live. I remember getting BME when I was like 14 or 15 and being in my 30’s now it fairly took me back. For as much as an erse Flynn comes across online he had the crowd in the palm of his hand all night. For an older dude he has some energy to do a set like that and keep the energy up for 3+ hours, same goes for Jared who seemed very amped last night due to being of Scottish descent (according to Flynn anyway - his surname is probably a giveaway haha). A very random rendition of Flower of Scotland went down well between songs and the circle pits looked impressive from where I was standing. Didn’t know what to expect having never seen them but they were a very impressive and professional live band.

I was probably more excited due to the fact it was the first of me seeing them live. I remember getting BME when I was like 14 or 15 and being in my 30’s now it fairly took me back. For as much as an erse Flynn comes across online he had the crowd in the palm of his hand all night. For an older dude he has some energy to do a set like that and keep the energy up for 3+ hours, same goes for Jared who seemed very amped last night due to being of Scottish descent (according to Flynn anyway - his surname is probably a giveaway haha). A very random rendition of Flower of Scotland went down well between songs and the circle pits looked impressive from where I was standing. Didn’t know what to expect having never seen them but they were a very impressive and professional live band.

Think last night would’ve been my 14th time seeing MH live I think but yeah, they’ve always been a really good live band. For me, since Phil and Dave left they’re just not Machine Head anymore, albeit I know neither were founding members.