The Metalhead thread

Zizou-5

Well, that new Tool song is incredibly dull.

They are one of my top 3 bands of all time, but that's just utterly underwhelming and sounds like someone else trying to write a Tool song, taking all their little trademarks and playing them for 10 minutes.

Apparently the album is 9 tracks in total, 2 being extended intros with 7 proper songs, although the whole thing clocks in at around 80 minutes which is their longest yet.

I do like their atmospheric side but for it to not just sound like indulgent meandering, it has to be intertwined and wound around things like Sober, The Grudge, Parabola, Schism, Stinkfist, Lateralus, The Pot etc.

Releasing Fear Innoculum first would have been like releasing Reflection as the lead single from Lateralus...works in the context of the album, but an album full of it would get turned off halfway through track 2.

Hoping for more from the rest.

4 minutes ago, Al B said:

They are one of my top 3 bands of all time, but that's just utterly underwhelming and sounds like someone else trying to write a Tool song, taking all their little trademarks and playing them for 10 minutes.

Apparently the album is 9 tracks in total, 2 being extended intros with 7 proper songs, although the whole thing clocks in at around 80 minutes which is their longest yet.

I do like their atmospheric side but for it to not just sound like indulgent meandering, it has to be intertwined and wound around things like Sober, The Grudge, Parabola, Schism, Stinkfist, Lateralus, The Pot etc.

Releasing Fear Innoculum first would have been like releasing Reflection as the lead single from Lateralus...works in the context of the album, but an album full of it would get turned off halfway through track 2.

This all supports my difficult decision to hold off listening until we get the full thing at month end.

Reading that I thought, Reflection is my favourite tune on Lateralus, so let's do this.
I've listened three times now and I'm aware the time it takes to digest Tool songs and all the rest of it, but it is just meh to me.
Maynard seems to have forgotten he's in Tool on this song and has stuck with that cringey as f**k mourning style that he went with on the most recent APC shitshow.

So what's everyone's opinion on the Lords of Chaos movie?

Hands up, I'm a 90's NBM nerd, and I realise there's a serious TROO KVLT negative response to it, but I liked it. So many moments capturing iconic photographs and so on.

The violence is unflinching and "real" in a horrible way. I understand Greifi Grishnakh had nothing to do with it, which is regretful, as Euronymous was a deeply flawed guy too.

I got the book way back when it came out and it was fascinating relating the ins and outs of the court cases etc. I have Jon Kristiansen's "Slayer Mag Diaries" magnum opus which is as on-the-spot as is possible to get.

4 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Hands up, I'm a 90's NBM nerd, and I realise there's a serious TROO KVLT negative response to it, but I liked it. So many moments capturing iconic photographs and so on.

The violence is unflinching and "real" in a horrible way. I understand Greifi Grishnakh had nothing to do with it, which is regretful, as Euronymous was a deeply flawed guy too.

I got the book way back when it came out and it was fascinating relating the ins and outs of the court cases etc. I have Jon Kristiansen's "Slayer Mag Diaries" magnum opus which is as on-the-spot as is possible to get.

I saw it when it was in the cinema. I remember seeing the trailer and expecting the worst.  However I left the cinema having quite enjoyed it.  The Dead suicide scene was a hard watch though.

On 14/08/2019 at 22:27, NorthernLights said:

Thoughts on the new Slipknot album?  It is by far their best since Volume 3.  Also it is currently on course to be number 1 in the album charts too.

Just wish they'd hurry up and get that Glasgow date properly announced for next year.

I think i'd put in in exactly the same bracket as AHIG and .5 in that, the good stuff is FANTASTIC, but there's a fair bit of slipknot-by-numbers meh.

On a separated note, that's Tool the #1 most streamed artist on Spotify, all 5 releases in the top 10 album chart, and in the Billboard Rock singles download chart they have 15 (fifteen) songs in the Top 20, including the whole Top 10.

That's just incredible, and before their new album is even out.

I was very underwhelmed with the new Slipknot album. Whilst I enjoyed the singles they released the only non single song on the album I’ve really enjoyed is Nero Forte. The ‘experimental’ parts were pretty meh particularly Spiders which people seem to love. If I want a genuinely unnerving experimental Slipknot song Scissors or Tattered and Torn does it for me.

Thoughts on the new Slipknot album?  It is by far their best since Volume 3.  Also it is currently on course to be number 1 in the album charts too.
Just wish they'd hurry up and get that Glasgow date properly announced for next year.

Personally I think it’s very, very meh and for me by far their weakest album to date. Solway Firth is a phenomenal track. Unsainted is decent. Other than that there’s nothing really doing it for me.

NBM - Norwegian Black Metal?

TROO KVLT - Whits this?

Would really like to see this movie though. Will need to have a rake and see if I can find it online.

I was very underwhelmed with the new Slipknot album. Whilst I enjoyed the singles they released the only non single song on the album I’ve really enjoyed is Nero Forte. The ‘experimental’ parts were pretty meh particularly Spiders which people seem to love. If I want a genuinely unnerving experimental Slipknot song Scissors or Tattered and Torn does it for me.

Basically what you’ve said.

Singles are good. Nero Forte is ok. The experimental stuff has never really done anything for me. In most cases for me it’s just filler noise and I usually feel that it could’ve been a proper song instead.

Basically what you’ve said.

Singles are good. Nero Forte is ok. The experimental stuff has never really done anything for me. In most cases for me it’s just filler noise and I usually feel that it could’ve been a proper song instead.

NBM yep.

TROO KVLT is basically a sort of insult thrown at scenesters who are self appointed in defending the purity of the genre.

Accidentally became an Anathema fan recently. I stuck on a bland compilation CD at work that contained their song Closer and piqued my interest. Been listening to A Natural Disaster for a couple of weeks now - what a fucking album. Not my usual kind of thing at all, but definitely raiding their back catalogue in the near future.

Last I heard of them was back in the early Nineties when, they were a (IMO at the time) poor Doom Metal band. What a difference.

Accidentally became an Anathema fan recently. I stuck on a bland compilation CD at work that contained their song Closer and piqued my interest. Been listening to A Natural Disaster for a couple of weeks now - what a fucking album. Not my usual kind of thing at all, but definitely raiding their back catalogue in the near future.

Last I heard of them was back in the early Nineties when, they were a (IMO at the time) poor Doom Metal band. What a difference.

They dropped the doom stuff after getting rid of their old singer in the late 90s.

A superb band for high quality background music!