The Metalhead thread

Zizou-5

Rust In Peace is IMO the finest album any of the Big Four made.

I'd also like to join the Opeth love in, or love for anything Mikael Akerfeldt is involved in. Any Bloodbath fans here?

I'm also loving the Pantera talk. The Great Southern Trendkill is up there with Alice In Chains' Dirt and Machine Head's The Blackening as one of favourite albums of all time. Floods: best guitar solo ever.

I think that Kill Em All is better than Rust In Peace but it's better than Ride the Lightening and Master of Puppets.

I'm not a massive Slayer fan(sorry Mik) but they have decent songs, yer Bloodline, Angel of Death, Seasons in the Abyss etc but both Metallica and Megadeth have better songs and more importantly more really good songs.

The difference between Metallica and Megadeth can be summed up by one song. The Four Horsemen/Mechanix:

Pretty much the same song. Metallica's is all about the lyrics, whereas Megadeth is just heavy as f**k.

Metallica are planning on starting to write a new album. Decent chance they could feature at Download if they write it in the next six-eight months. Maybe Sonisphere, again.

Reign in Blood is the best album by any of the big 4 im afraid :rolleyes:
Not really that big a metallica fan and think megadeth are ok... Im an fan of anthrax but feel they arent really IN the big 4 anymore

Say in a hypothetical if there were to be a big 4 tour, would anyone else be like me and rather see Machine Head replace Anthrax?

Panteras live album is something else i'll tell ye, I really wish I coulda seen them sad.gif Edited by Zizou-5

No. Anthrax are criminally underrated these days. Spreading The Disease and Among The Living are superb albums. I do prefer Machine Head, but I prefer them to the other three as well so ye know. If I'm going to a big four tour, I want the big four regardless of how the reputation of Anthrax has declined.

As an auld c**t I have seen all of the 'big four' (as it were) live over various years.

Slayer were incredible, with the kind of dangerous mosh pits that get you killed. Marvellous. Fucked if I can remember the tour and year though. 90's anyway.

Metallica were and always will be a band that needs to be seen live. Marvellous. Saw them at the SECC with MattBairn last year.

Megadeth were (at the time I saw them) fucking abysmal, sadly. (Youthanasia tour at the Barrowlands, whenever the hell that was, late 90's?). Mustaine was disinterested and the crowd knew it. Poor.

Anthrax were by far the best band seen live. The power was incredible, the set was tight, John Bush was immense and the entire place was in uproar start to finish. Okay, they benefitted from playing at a small venue (Glasgow Garage) but it helped that the album they were touring off was utterly superb (Stomp 442 - from 1995). To this day it's still the best gig I've ever attended, and I included the mighty Oasis in that. That tour was not long after the shite film Judge Dredd with Stallone, and they lamented on stage about not having been asked to contribute 'I am the law' to the soundtrack of the film, then proceeded to bang out about an eight minute rampage of that very song. I needed medical attention and I did not fucking care. :lol:

I've seen a few metal acts live.

I make a point of going to see Slipknot whenever they play in Glasgow now. The first time I seen them at Gig on the Green I wasn't into them, but that night changed my mind. Best time was probably when they played the Barrowlands as a warm up to the festivals before Volume 3 came out.

Seen Metallica twice. Best time being at Download Scotland.

Iron Maiden are probably the best metal act I've had the chance to see live.

Dillinger Escape Plan were absolutely terrible.

Machine Head were good at Download Scotland although I'd wager I'd have enjoyed it more had I known their stuff as much as I do now.

I forgot to mention that Machine Head supported Metallica last year at the SECC. They were that good that I didn't go out for drinks during their set. Totally brutal. As good as I remembered from the 'Burn My Eyes' tour in '95, where 'Davidian' was received particularly well with the audience. Broke a rib at that one IIRC.

To save me the bother, if I don't mention the location, assume it's either Download 2009 or 2010. So for me it's:

Maiden for the Dance of Death tour. Was good, bit too young and don't remember a whole lot but was good.

Slipknot, twice, once at Download 2009 and when they toured the All Hope is Gone album. Download was better. Last gig with Paul Gray, I think. They are about to release the gig in an upcoming DVD so I'd try and check that out when it comes out. Their All Hope is Gone gig was good but not as good as Dload.

Machine Head, supporting Slipknot on said tour. They were amazing but it was a short set since Bodom were also supporting, but I was too late to see them.

Megadeth,twice, when they were touring United Abominations and at Download 2010. The Download gig was better, fresh from a US tour where they were playing RIP in full, it included a lot off of that album. Rust in Peace....Polaris was played at Donington but not at the Carling Academy but Take No Prisoners was on the Carling but not Download setlist.

AC/DC. I'm not a big fan tbh. They were decent. Wouldn't pay to see them in particular. But since they were the only band playing at the time, not actually part of Download but a separate gig to celebrate 30 years of Donington. But you're download ticket allowed you to see them. They had their own stage aswell. Fucking pointless. They had some kind of inflatable on top of it, the train, the bell and the hoor inflatable which were the only real things that were different from the normal main stage. Also fucked up the crowd separation. Meant that the right hand side of the barrier was right infront of the main stage but the left was waaay the left. Probably the reason why Rage was so crowded.

Rage Against The Machine, spoiled by the poor crowd. As I mentioned, briefly, the crowd were pushing before it and into the start of Bombtrack. So bad that De La Rocha had to stop and tell them to stop.

Marilyn Manson, alright. Only caught half of his set since I was at Chris Cornell. Some bad reviews from other people bout it though.

Deftones. Really good. Didn't play Back to School or Head Up but a decent set nonetheless.

Limp Bizkit. Really enjoyed it. Played most of the "big" songs. No re-arranged, which is one of my favs. Durst got skanted during Eat You Alive, which always is funny.

Korn, good. A lot off of the album with Y'all Want A Single(Untouchables?). I was so wasted I think I was doing some kind of dance to Got The Life which is a bit embarrassing.

Faith No More. Brilliant. Better than Rage. Seeing them made me go back and listen to them alot more than I did before it. Gutted they've split back up because I woulda loved to have seen em again.

Other metal bands that I've seen: Five Finger Death Punch, Chris Cornell(2), Tenacious D, Them Crooked Vultures, Down, Motorhead and Sarcastic Affection (last ones a joke and if anyone gets it they are a legend). All were good in their own way. Dunno what is classed as "metal". If you feel any aren't metal then I apologise.

Only ever gone to see one of the big 4- that was Slayer who iv seen a few times.

would love to see Metallica, but I go through a love hate with metallica so would have to be touring at a time where I like them.

Best live band Iv ever seen would be the mighty In Flames at the Barralands circa 2005- Support was Sepultura who also rocked out that night