The Metalhead thread

Zizou-5

I'd say that's harsh on Maiden who continue to make great albums and continue to be very good live.

Think they timed the recording of the new album wrongly. They should have spent more time rehearsing as Dickinson has clearly found his voice at this point, and that was the weakest part of the album.

I'd say that's harsh on Maiden who continue to make great albums and continue to be very good live.

Think they timed the recording of the new album wrongly. They should have spent more time rehearsing as Dickinson has clearly found his voice at this point, and that was the weakest part of the album.

I know it's harsh on Iron Maiden, I'm a big fan of them. You pretty much know what you're gonna get with them though. There's never anything new, even when it's new. Just that standard tried & trusted Maiden sound and a solid 7/10 Maiden album.

On 20/12/2016 at 21:18, marty_j said:

watching this at the minute - what a gig! Crowd losing their shit - no phones in site. Brixton academy great venue - people jumping off crush barriers.

I saw them back in the day at The Barras. Probably early 90s. It was utter carnage. Stage diving and crowd surfing the whole gig. Was this from about that time? 

20 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

Same here but I'd pay it. I don't think I'll ever tire of going to a Metallica gig. Yeah they're getting old but unlike (IMO) Iron Maiden and Judas Priest etc, for me they're still totally relevant, haven't become a nostalgia band yet and keep writing absolutely belting tunes. Hardwired... is a fucking brilliant album and would love to see them play some of those tracks live.

I think when they do release the tour dates for the UK they'll sell out fast. Maybe even break the internet.

maybe it's personal taste but Metallica's last album bored the shit out of me and I kept skipping forward on it, kind of heard it all before. Got gods of violence from kreator recently, sounds fresher and newer than hardwired to... ... 

Priest have been a bit bland for  their last couple of albums now I suppose but I'd hardly say that maidens doing the nostalgia thing, if it's not broken don't fix it.

maybe it's personal taste but Metallica's last album bored the shit out of me and I kept skipping forward on it, kind of heard it all before. Got gods of violence from kreator recently, sounds fresher and newer than hardwired to... ... 

Priest have been a bit bland for  their last couple of albums now I suppose but I'd hardly say that maidens doing the nostalgia thing, if it's not broken don't fix it.

Personal taste is what it all boils down to at the end of the day Bennett. I just prefer that down-tuned thrashy sound Metallica produce as opposed to Maiden's less heavy, more technical sound. Like you say though, if it's not broken, don't fix it.

20 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

The weakest point of the last album were all of the songs. Dreadful, Bayley era-esque stuff.
And I'm a mega fan!

Got to disagree, also a massive Maiden fan. I for the most part loved the new album, especially when comparing it to final frontier which i think is their weakest album since Virtual XI. Bayley gets a bad rep, the x factor is actually a good album, and 2/3 songs of VXI are good too. 

For the relevance side of things, Maiden are arguably bigger now than they've ever been. Playing countries they've never played, to full houses.

Well it's all about opinions!

I absolutely love the Final Frontier, and can appreciate Bayley too. I really liked Wolfsbane, and he was a good frontman, but never Maiden 'quality'.

Not querying the relevance thing, they deservedly play to packed houses as they still put on a great show.

As far as the latest album goes, I find it almost unlistenable. The songs are far too long for the limited ideas contained in them, they've always, ahem, paid tribute to earlier works by themselves, but the song on the new one with the intro that's almost note for note the intro to "Wasted Years" is simply taking the piss.

Worst of all though, are Bruce's vocals. They should have put the whole thing back by a year or two to sort them out, because I find them thin, reedy and weak. We all know about the illness, but he's big enough to know that his performance was not up to his own stratospheric standards.

I guess I always feared them becoming a pale caricature of themselves, and that's what this album feels like to me. Believe me, nobody wishes it to be no more than a stumble than me.

1 hour ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Well it's all about opinions!

I absolutely love the Final Frontier, and can appreciate Bayley too. I really liked Wolfsbane, and he was a good frontman, but never Maiden 'quality'.

Not querying the relevance thing, they deservedly play to packed houses as they still put on a great show.

As far as the latest album goes, I find it almost unlistenable. The songs are far too long for the limited ideas contained in them, they've always, ahem, paid tribute to earlier works by themselves, but the song on the new one with the intro that's almost note for note the intro to "Wasted Years" is simply taking the piss.

Worst of all though, are Bruce's vocals. They should have put the whole thing back by a year or two to sort them out, because I find them thin, reedy and weak. We all know about the illness, but he's big enough to know that his performance was not up to his own stratospheric standards.

I guess I always feared them becoming a pale caricature of themselves, and that's what this album feels like to me. Believe me, nobody wishes it to be no more than a stumble than me.

Of course it is. Everyone has their favourites. For me since coming back, Bruce's vocals were at their peak round about 2003-5. Watch the Ullevi concert 2005 i think. He's insane, wrathchild and where eagles dare especially. 

Agree with the shadows of the valley (wasted years ripoff). The empire of the clouds for me is also unlistenable. Too long and too many hooks from previous songs. The riffs off the other songs had enough to take it past TFF for me though.  

Maidens last few albums haven't been as polished as previous ones have, I listen to book of souls quite regularly, especially if I've got a longish drive tho I think they could've maybe shortened a few of the songs a bit.

Probably their weakest Bruce albums were no prayer...... And fear of the dark.