Zizou-5

The Metalhead thread

Can't be arsed linking them but Metallica are releasing a new video for every song on the new album every two hours tonight apparently, "Dream No More" and "Confusion" have been released so far.

Wednesday, Nov. 16: 12PM ET – “Dream No More” (Directed by Tom Kirk) 2PM ET – “Confusion” (Directed by Claire Marie Vogel) 4PM ET – “ManUNkind” (Directed by Jonas Åkerlund) 6PM ET – “Now That We’re Dead” (Directed by Herring & Herring) 8PM ET – “Here Comes Revenge” (Directed by Jessica Cope) 10PM ET – “Am I Savage” (Directed by Herring & Herring) Thursday, Nov. 17: 12AM ET – “Halo On Fire” (Directed by Herring & Herring) 2AM ET – “Murder One” (Directed by Robert Valley) 4AM ET – “Spit Out The Bone” (Directed by Phil Mucci) 6AM ET – “Lords of Summer” (Directed by Brett Murray)

Confusion was decent, they've basically sat down and come up with hundreds of riffs and tried to shoehorn them into the album. Sucker for a good riff tho so not too bothered.

Me and my mate are huge Metallica fans and have made a conscious effort to not listen to the new album until Saturday afternoon with a few beers. We've heard the three songs that have been out for a while but that's it. Heard a few folk say it's a Load, meets Death Magnetic with hints of the Black Album type album. Looking forward to hearing it as I really enjoyed the three released tracks they initially put out prior to suddenly putting up the vids of the rest of the tracks. 

18 hours ago, Randy Giles said:

I have to say. ManUNkind is very nice indeed.

I veered between meh and bobbing my head up and doon a wee bit during bits of it.

5 hours ago, PrestersKTID said:

Confusion was decent, they've basically sat down and come up with hundreds of riffs and tried to shoehorn them into the album. Sucker for a good riff tho so not too bothered.

It's like they've went too far down the perfectionist road and tinkered with it too much.

Anyone wanting a ticket to BFMV/KSE at the O2 Academy on the 30th of November?  Plans have changed and I won't be in Glasgow on that evening.  I'll be in Glasgow from Saturday through to the Tuesday before so can hand it anyone who wants it then.  It was £30 + P&P etc but happy to sell it for £20.

Ticket purchased for Anthrax :thumsup2

Not been at the Barras for a few years.

Gonna be good.

Turns out Mrs Ned has got me Sabbath tickets as part of my Christmas ... wasn't that fussed but looking forward to it now that I'm going, seen Ozzy a few times but never Sabbath.

Anyone know what can I expect from Gold Standing ?

As long as it doesn't include a shower you'll be alright .... Weird image of ozzy pissing over the crowd now.. Hmm

Anyway..
I've managed to catch Sabbath 4 times in the last few years, twice Donington, once at Hyde Park and the other in the Hydro. The Hydro was by far the best one of the lot. Happened to be the 13 album tour (big fan of that album) so least got some new songs in there.
It's a pretty standard set now, just the big classics but they're brilliant nonetheles.
I was going to go to this gig but baulked at the price they were charging. In the space of 3 years the price had went up £30! Unreal..

Aaaand now for Metallica's new album..

Thought most of it was pretty average/poor without a couple of gems. Standouts for me are Moth, Spit out the bone, am I savage and Lords of summer.
Halo on fire was not bad too.
Special mention though to dream no more, now that we're dead and murder one which are fucking horse shit. The rest is just average filler...

Oh, almost forgot about the Remember Tomorrow cover that was alright.

Turns out Mrs Ned has got me Sabbath tickets as part of my Christmas ... wasn't that fussed but looking forward to it now that I'm going, seen Ozzy a few times but never Sabbath.

You'll be right at the front.

I would advise getting there in time for the support Rival Sons as they are bloody brilliant.

There's a few absolute bangers on the new Metallica record that will sound sensational live. Spit out the Bone is possibly the best thing they've written since the Justice sessions.

They could have done better with the track ordering. Having 4 weaker tracks clustered together in the 2nd half disrupts the rhythm. I'd have been inclined to drop Am I Savage and Murder One altogether.

I struggle to be objective with Metallica but this is a very solid effort to my ears and is probably my favourite release of theirs since the Black Album.

Hydro next year I expect...

Edited by Consolidate

There's a few absolute bangers on the new Metallica record that will sound sensational live. Spit out the Bone is possibly the best thing they've written since the Justice sessions.

They could have done better with the track ordering. Having 4 weaker tracks clustered together in the 2nd half disrupts the rhythm. I'd have been inclined to drop Am I Savage and Murder One altogether.

I struggle to be objective with Metallica but this is a very solid effort to my ears and is probably my favourite release of theirs since the Black Album.

Hydro next year I expect...

Very much agree with this. I've listened to it a few times through on the commute this week and I genuinely really like it. I'd also have done away with Am I savage and maybe Murder One though - both have decent main riffs but are tracks I've started to skip.

Theres definitely a big hint of Load/Reload on this new album which I'm really pleased about as they both, especially the former, contain some of Metallicas best work, despite not being tr00 metalz or whatever.

My biggest complaint about this album however is Kirk Hammetts contribution, or lack of it. He supposedly lost a phone containing over 250 riffs, but he said that left him to concentrate on his solos - which is bizarre as it feels like almost every solo on this album could be interchanged between songs and no-one would notice. They all feel like sloppy pentatonic messes with far too much wah pedal. What makes Hammett one of the greats isn't his actual technical skill (or lack of it) but his ability to write solos so good that you couldn't imagine the songs with anything else.

Moving on, it's also great to hear a proper Metallica album that isn't actually painful to listen to. Death Magnetic had some good stuff but the production was so poor it makes it unbearable at loud volumes.

I'd give this new album an 8/10 but it could have been higher had they trimmed some of the fat and if Hammett had his finger out.

Kirk Hammett when I first started playing guitar was my idol. These days live though he can be a bit sloppy and seems to dial it in on new material.

I still think the production is fucking terrible. The drum sounds and the guitar tones are just harsh and trebley (and i don't mean in that scooped way they used to be), and the drums are just faaaarrrrr too loud and prominent. It's borderline sore on the ears to listen to through headphones unless you turn it down a bit (not nearly as sore as Death Magnetic, but that's for different reasons obviously), and that combined with a lot of the songs being longer for the sake of it has meant that whilst there's a lot of good stuff...It's been a rare occurrence that I've listened to any of the tracks all the way through in one go.

That being said, there IS a lot of good stuff there. Spit Out The Bone is a phenomenal song, and the main riff is one of the best I've heard from any band in years...it's absolutely brilliant.

Am i the only one that has equaliser options and turn the but where drums are down compared to anything else?
After st anger any modern metallica song gets that treatment.