The Metalhead thread

Zizou-5

1 hour ago, Forfinn said:

Re Iron Maiden ticketing and pre-sales, is there a workaround that would enable me to use a friend's SSE details to unlock the Hydro pre-sale tomorrow for me to purchase under my own name?  In a simpler time, he could just have bought them for me, but he won't be going to the gig so we're scuppered by this whole named-person ticket process.

Also, the same question for O2 Priority.  I'm sure I could find someone I know who hasn't jumped ship to another network yet.

Otherwise I'm waiting until they go on general sale on Friday.

Live Nation pre sale is tomorrow just register with them???

http://www.livenation.co.uk/artist/iron-maiden-tickets

14 hours ago, marty_j said:

Live Nation pre sale is tomorrow just register with them???

http://www.livenation.co.uk/artist/iron-maiden-tickets

Thanks for the heads up. Turns out I even already had a Live Nation account so tickets have now been successfully purchased.  With fees, £66.35 a ticket is utterly scandalous though.

So as every Metallica fan knows (and I'm a proper fanboy), they can be extremely guilty of going through the motions these days, particularly when they are focusing on other things. The 2 new songs have been VERY promising, although I've felt for a long time that the days of them sounding better live than on record were looooonnggggg gone.

Wrong. Oh my god are they on it. This just sounds ferocious!!!

And I haven't heard Puppets sound this good for about 25 years. Hetfield delivering a few telt's in a "don't you forget who I am" style, and looking like he's just having a great time.

Edited by Al B

See, to a point I'd kinda agree, but in Metallica's case they had gotten to a stage where everything just seemed half-arsed. There's been a good 5 year period where it was almost like they were barely paying attention, going through the motions, Lars and Kirk in particular were unbelievably sloppy in a "just not really bothering" type of way, James was trying to croon his way through songs almost as if he was trying to be more of a singer than just sticking to what he does best. As he himself once said "I sing like a sailor"...but that's what works.

The 3 concerts in the Binge & Purge boxset - San Diego, Mexico City and Seattle are unbelievable. The Moscow show in '91 is the best performance I've ever seen from any band.....f**k trying to be another band around at that time! But the last 5 years...maybe even more (the Nimes show is amazing but you can imagine a commercially released DVD to be post-produced to within an inch of it's life), have actually been sad to see at times. They had been playing on stage with the same enthusiasm as they do in the tuning room videos on Youtube

Right now though they just seem focused, sharp, tight, and utterly on it! Maybe there's life in the old dog yet.

Edited by Al B

Whilst I'm talking about Metallica I thought I'd share this video. I have always thought St Anger was basically 5 or 6 decent ideas utterly swamped by a complete pile of shit, and then generally produced into unlistenable nonsense.

Stumbled across this a few weeks ago, one guy doing guitars, bass and drums and a 2nd guy doing vocals. They have completely re-recorded the whole album from scratch, re-arranged a lot of it, cut out a lot of the shit (it's a whole 15 minutes shorter overall), and actually re-written little bits here and there. I have to say....it's actually really really good! Most definitely worth a listen.

22 hours ago, Al B said:

And I haven't heard Puppets sound this good for about 25 years. Hetfield delivering a few telt's in a "don't you forget who I am" style, and looking like he's just having a great time.

Those opening riffs could be the best I've ever heard them being played, so f'cking heavy. Metallica are back (not that they had ever gone away, mind you...). Cannot wait till they tour over here :D 

Edited by IainMorton

1 hour ago, PrestersKTID said:

Very Very good live version of puppets. They are due to play a UK tour again surely. Missed out last time coz my pal bought 2 tickets then sold mine for a tidy sum....p***k. 

I think they'll be a stick on for Download 2017 and then do a UK tour in the winter.

Anyway...Red Fang tonight in the Garage :thumsup2

Edited by Mik

Anyone been listening to the new Opeth album?

Its solid but that's all I can say.  My problem is too many of the songs plod along with little change in tempo.

The first song I heard by them was To Bid You Farewell.  The way it started so slowly and built up the epic ending was brilliant.  The last Opeth album I truly enjoyed was Watershed.  The opening song Coil is simply beautiful and then to go from that Heir Apparent :o  That is what I enjoyed about them. 

I really hope they rediscover that again in the next album after the last three albums of this sort of prog rock as sadly they are becoming too predictable.  There hasn't been a point during Sorceress where I've been like "Wow!  Where did that come from!?" 

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎28‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 20:55, 8MileBU said:

Aye? As good as The Formation of Damnation?

Yes. Get it round yer ears. Personal highlights are; Seven Seals, Stronghold, Neptune's Spear, The Pale King & the title track.

TFOD was great when it came out but didn't hold any longevity for me personally. The Dark Roots of Earth was OK, but only OK.

This new album seems like a good return to form anyway, for the time being...