The Metalhead thread

Zizou-5

Black Sabbath and Rammstein added to Download.

Struggling with my choices here, there's also a Download Paris taking place this year where tickets are about £100 cheaper, doing that can throw in some time soaking up the atmosphere of the Euros and they also have Rammstein and Maiden. Alternatively, some of my mates are going back to Hellfest which I've loved in the past but I'm definitely going somewhere that Rammstein are playing.

Bloodstock's looking great as well, Mastodon and Twisted Sister (last ever UK gig) the headliners so far.

Comes down to personal preference, but I'm much happier to have fewer bands with longer sets. It's a bit pish when a festival books an amazing band who you didn't expect to play, then they only get a 15-20 minute set. Every band should get 30 minutes at least. Does increase the risk of the undercard not having many bands to your taste, but that's worth it to see more of the bands you do like IMO.

Off to see Maiden Scotland at the ABC2 this evening.

Have heard they're decent.

Saw them at The Lemon Tree a couple of years ago an they did a solid job.

I felt old today when I read that Hybrid Theory is 15 years old. If LInkin Park announced a tour where they would play that album in full I would be all over that with no shame!

I felt old today when I read that Hybrid Theory is 15 years old. If LInkin Park announced a tour where they would play that album in full I would be all over that with no shame!

If they actually returned to Scotland after over 10 years since their last visit, I'd be all over it regardless.

Black Dahlia Murder are playing the Cathouse on Jan 19th. Very good band and great live. Their latest effort Abysmal is really really solid. Not their best but still a good album.

Yes, that's what I'm after!

I saw Maiden Scotland at the Lemon Tree a few years before that (must've been '06 or '07) and they were excellent. They also had Paul Di'Anno as a special guest and he came on to do a few of the early Maiden classics. He was rubbish. Middle-aged, fat, washed-up, voice gone. It was a blessed relief when he got off and the Bruce tribute bloke came back on. Sad really.

Disclaimer - *not metal*.

So, I play a bunch of instruments and in a past life I used to write and play music for a (very modest) living. Although I don't really do anything at all musically these days, decided to enter a wee competition that needed to be in the format of a Youtube video. Seeing as it's there now I might as well share it and let the good folk keeping me company in the Metalhead Thread have a wee listen.

This is the result of me rocking up to a studio on my own in 2007 with a racket in my head, and recording it so that people could hear it. Like I say it's not what you'd call metal but it's very much in the heavy guitar ballpark. I may upload more if and when I get round to it, and if it happens to go very well in the various areas I've shared it, I could be tempted back to writing and recording (if I can ever find the time!).

Anyway for now, wrap yer lugs round this (and like and share on Facebook and all the other good stuff that apparently cures famines and diseases). Cheers!

Edited by Al B

Despite my reservations about the line up I had a good time and I think I actually saw a couple more bands then I did last year. I saw... The King is Blind, Wiegedood, Voices, Savage Messiah, The Ocean, High of Fire, Solstafir, Keep of Kalessin, Primordial, Maybeshewill and At The Gates.

22256762163_43416ba3d9_b.jpg

22889020351_45392e8275_b.jpg

22864318352_c1ac9e0eef_b.jpg

22459495088_390b91bde8_b.jpg

Damnation festival on Saturday. Anyone else heading down to Leeds for it?

The line up isn't as good as last years but that is more a testament to the strength of last years festival then anything else.

Really enjoyed this year's edition. Caught the following:

Tacomo Narrows Bridge Disasater

Talons

Ohms

Crown

Maybeshewill

The Ocean

Alter of Plagues

Solstafir

Amenra

Mono

At The Gates

Bands of the day award goes to Mono and Amenra, both were just astonishing. Wish we could find a way to bring Amenra to Glasgow.