The Metalhead thread

Zizou-5

Id say metal is in a great state at the moment. There are some great bands out there, alot more than say five years ago, when metal was really in a rut. There wont be bands of that size again, I agree on that. There havent been any in the last 10 years apart from Slipknot. Thats mostly down to the way that music has changed and downloading has taken over. Alot more music out there and alot of ways to get it.

If we are talking pure fan boy dream scenarios. Id like to see this line up for future festival headliners/subs- Alter bridge/Ghost Mastodon/Gojira Lamb of God/Amon Amarth

Edited by Zizou-5

I wouldn't say metal is in too bad of state tbh. Its circular and their will always be periods when it's more popular than others but generally i think there is enough good music being released. Definitely won't be another massive act as its very easy for people to find somebody they prefer over the bigger acts. That's not metal specific tho and the only big acts will be cheesy pop bands as they appeal to those to lazy to look for music.

Oh yeah, it's certainly in a good state. For all that we won't see any truly massive bands again, there are a good number of bands doing well for themselves, you can pick out bands across all the sub-genres who are doing so, there are plenty of bands who've came along relatively recently and are continuing to push the boundaries of the genre, and importantly the live scene is thriving, while festivals dedicated to metal/hard rock continue to grow in size and reputation. We don't need to worry about heavy music dying or any of that bollocks.

Read a good piece by some musicologist who said that metal is now showing signs of filling a similar niche as country music does in the states - only rarely in the forefront of popular culture, but a constant presence, continually evolving and absorbing outside influences. With nearly half a century of history, it looks like it's definitely here to stay.

I agree entirely. If you look at the U.K.s festival scene alone. In the last 5 years we had 3 festivals that are geared solely to a rock and metal audience. 2 of which were in the top tier of festivals in the country in Sonisphere and Download. Compare that to other festivals in the top group like say a TITP or V festival, which doesnt really have a set audience and just kind of throws everything in there to sell tickets- which by all means is not a bad thing- Then its amazing that there were two festivals purely geared toward rock and metal up there. Obviously we lost sonisphere but we still have bloodstock, which isnt up there with download, with regard to size but is still going strong and getting stronger each year. Its just a great time to be a fan of heavy music.

One of Ozzy's best songs in his entire catalogue in my opinion.

Going back to the chat about what we're all going to go see in 10+ years time, its an incredibly dim prospect for myself. I really struggle to get into new bands in general nevermind the newer ones coming out nowadays so I dont know if I'll get to many gigs in the coming years! I'm hoping I can get into a somewhat newish band though and enjoy many years of gigs :thumbsup2:

Judas Priest are a good shout.

Hard to think of another 'likely' band like who haven't played there in recent years and 'big enough' to headline.

Was having a blether with a couple of mates the other night and we ended up getting on the subject of 'metal 10 years from now'...

Pretty bleak outlook we had lol! In fairness we'll all be in our forties by then, but got thinking and questions were asked.

What will metal sound like? Will there be another horrific 8 year blip like the late 90's through into the nu-metal era when just about all 'popular' metal was total pish?! Wonder who'll headline the metal festivals in 10 years?

We kinda ran through bands who are pretty unlikely to still be going in 10 years and the list was hefty!

ACDC, Metallica, Slayer, Anthrax, Megadeth, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden?? Gone?

Sepultura, Soulfly, Machine Head, Slipknot?? Gone?

Who's gonna be left and who's gonna step up???

Discuss!! ;)

Korn? Bullet for My Valentine? ............erm :unsure:

I think I'm right in saying that BFMV are the most succesful UK metal band since Maiden, considering Maiden debut album was 1980 that is a fairly depressing statement to be honest, whilst they have had their moments you couldn't put them anywhere close to the stature of Maiden. The days of the mega bands are truly over .

Edited by Co.Down Hibee

Theres plenty of really good newer (last ten years)bands out there. Ghost, Heart of a coward, The Sword, Hang the b*****d, Parkway Drive, Palm Reader, Hacktivist, Cancer Bats, Baby Godzilla , Crossfaith to name but a few

Saw Metallicas "Through The Never" tonight and I highly recommend it to anyone with even a slight interest in them.

Basically a shortened greatest hits live show with a narrative breaking it up.

It looks great in 3D and sounds absolutely incredible (Though its obviously been touched up a tad in the studio as Lars sounds like a more than competent drummer) The bass and bass drums feel like you're eardrums are being punched over and over, but in a good way.

It also reaffirms what an absolute beast of a rhythm guitar player Hetfield is.

Superb stuff.

Having myself a bit of a Testament day today.

DNR is an absolute thrash masterpiece!

Now I'm working my way through Dark Roots of Earth, not a great album but the album is incredible. Its currently my wallpaper on my PC at work and I always catch myself just looking at it instead of doing work!