The Metalhead thread

Zizou-5

Just back from Bloodstock and what a weekend with so many awesome bands, For me Xentrix was the best followed close by Slayer and Exodus showing these newer thrash bands how its done. Check out a band called Lifer who were amazing. Second time at this festival and i love it, went by far too quick.

Edited by JasonElgin

Avantasia were the band of the festival for me, but Exodus were most definitely second. They were outstanding.

Absolutely tremendous weekend, I'm in agony but it was entirely worth it. Definitely going next year for Emperor, and the end of fest speech from the stage announcer seemed to hint at Manowar as well.

If there are any AC/DC fans out there can I recommend Volts, the Scottish AC/DC tribute band. Caught them in Behind The Wall last night for free and they are excellent. Two hours of mostly Scott era, but they also do five or six post Bon songs. I know tribute acts aren't everyone's cup of tea, but I'm never gonna' see them with Bon Scott, so this was a treat. They really caught that low down dirty groove of the early era. Great stuff!

Ol Drake has left Evile. Statement:

"It's been half my life (15 years) since I started jamming in a room with three other guys, in a group in which I didn't know would grow to be EVILE, go through what EVILE has gone through and achieve what EVILE has so far achieved.
"Since 1999, I've put 100% of my time and life into the band we formed, while us all had/have to sacrifice a lot financially and personally along the way.
"I've had some of the best times of my life in the past 15 years and met some amazing and fascinating people. I've had the huge honour to play a part in so many things I'd never have dreamed of: paying tribute to Dimebag [PANTERA] by covering 'Cemetery Gates' in Metal Hammer; supporting MEGADETH, EXODUS and many bands I grew up listening to; playing and recording with DESTRUCTION; touring/seeing places in the world I'd never have got to see otherwise and many more.
"Over the past year, I've, unfortunately, found myself becoming more and more detached from the touring/band lifestyle.
"In my opinion, the music business for a band of our genre and 'level' determines a very unrealistic way of life to me, and I personally find it difficult to make a living and have a 'normal' life.
"This is not a plea for sympathy, I'm simply being honest.
"I've reached a point where I want a family/kids, a house, a steady and definite income and everything in between, and in regard to my personal preferences, a touring band's income and uncertainties, in the state that I feel they would continue to be in, has become incompatible with how I feel and what I want/need.
"There is no animosity between the rest of the band and I. This is purely a personal and financial decision I've been mulling over for a while and I wish them all the best for the future.
"I am not unappreciative of the position EVILE has in the music world; I know a lot of people would love to be where EVILE are.
"I want to thank each and every person who supports the band, and I want to extend a special thanks to Digby and the Earache Records crew.
"Huge apologies to anyone this disappoints, but I have to do what makes sense to me.
"I am not quitting writing or playing; I do plan on continuing to record and write my own music (solo project, general composing/recording etc), I just won't be touring etc.
"I'll still be playing the two upcoming festival shows EVILE have.
"You can keep up to date with what I'll be doing on my Twitter or on Facebook.
"A big thank you to everyone!"
I'm pretty gutted at that, love Evile. It's entirely understandable though.

I imagine this is partly the case for the difficulties within and leading up to the departure of Adam Duce from Machine Head...

Id really doubt that. Machine Head are a huge act,they sell out arenas, they headline festivals that are just below the likes of say a Download. Bloodstock being the perfect example. One of the most popular bands in metal. Machine F'n Head chants were heard all around download this year and they werent even playing. Id say Adam left because he felt he couldnt work with Rob Flynn anymore, even Flynn himself said at times he is a nightmare to be around.

Id agree on your point about the Evile situation. They are one of those nearly bands, who should really be as huge as say a Machine Head but never really made it. That can be seen from the fact they are playing Stereo in Glasgow. Which is a shame cause evile are a really good band.

I read an interview with Mark Hunter from Chimaira where he said that they dont make any money from touring anymore. Only in album and merch sales. Some people dont realise how hard it can be for bands like them, you would have thought they would have a steady income but they dont

While Machine Head are a big act in Europe, I don't believe they command a similar status in the US. No idea what sort of money they take home on an annual basis, but i wouldn't imagine they are living it up by any means.

You're right that Adam and MH parting company was nothing to do with financial issues, and that it was down to personal issues with Robb. The two of them had been seeing a 'therapist' for 5 years plus to try work things out, but i think that relationship had ran its course after close to 30 years.

I also read that Mark Hunter said Chimaira lost money on their last tour! You go on LinkedIn and you find guys like Dallas Coyle and Jim LaMarca having to side line their musical interests for financial security.

Also expecting this to become more common....

^ True - the tour cycle for TTAOE and The Blackening was ridiculous! I think they may have played Glasgow 3 times in support of each album (twice at Barrowlands, and Download @ Glasgow Green for TTAOE, and at the SECC for Black Crusade tour, and supporting Slipknot & Metallica?)

Edit: a quick google shows they also played Carling Academy in 2007, and O2 academy 2010! Those guys must hate the sight of each other spending that much time on the road.

Edited by Adrian84

Aye, I absolutely love Machine Head but even I was starting to get sick of the sight of them in Glasgow. Didn't bother with the SECC gig when they came back over after Unto the Locust, although I regretted it when it came to the night and I was sat in my house doing f**k all.

As for their financial situation, they're comfortable enough but far from making millions; it's highly unlikely any 'conventional' metal band will do so again. I not keen on using the word conventional as it has connotations of elitism which isn't my intention, but short of acts with a fair amount of crossover with another genre which leads to mainstream appeal, eg Linkin Park, or push the boundaries of the genre like Slipknot, metal bands just don't get properly huge any more.

I know you all know that already, but I'm procrastinating in work. :P

Any of you heard the new Avenged Sevenfold album? I really wanted it to be good but unfortunatly I just cant get over how much they have ripped off other bands work pretty blatently. Its really sad, because this should have been their huge breakthrough- I mean fair enough they got to number 1 but they have became a bit of a laughing stock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SokRilLQcyU

I mean this obviously is just sad but true by tallica.