The Metalhead thread

Zizou-5

Avantasia announced for Bloodstock. Brilliance.

Avantasia deserve better than an hour before Lamb of God (who play here often enough), mainly because limiting their show to an hour will prompt Tobi to play all the "hits". If we were promised The Metal Operas in full, or even a Metal Opera select with absolutely nothing from The Scarecrow et al. I would be dropping my plans to be here and making every effort to be at BOA.

I really hope they do a proper full length set sometime in the UK.

Katatonia were great. A band that sound as good live as they do on record. Seems the setlist was a bit shorter then the one they did in London.

Sadly Alcest will go down as the most disappointing performance of 2012 for me. There were serious sound issues during the first half of their set. Things did improve but I was so disappointed.

Katatonia were great. A band that sound as good live as they do on record. Seems the setlist was a bit shorter then the one they did in London.

Sadly Alcest will go down as the most disappointing performance of 2012 for me. There were serious sound issues during the first half of their set. Things did improve but I was so disappointed.

Yeah only the final two songs of Alcest's set were audible to me. Hugely disappointing.

Katatonia fair rattled through their set but sounded great if a little rushed. What a back catalogue they have.

One minor gripe: I think Kat's Glasgow setlist was indeed a couple of tracks shorter than the rest of the tour due to a shitty curefew - why couldn't all the 2 other bands sets be brought forward 15mins or so to accomodate?

Yeah only the final two songs of Alcest's set were audible to me. Hugely disappointing.

Katatonia fair rattled through their set but sounded great if a little rushed. What a back catalogue they have.

One minor gripe: I think Kat's Glasgow setlist was indeed a couple of tracks shorter than the rest of the tour due to a shitty curefew - why couldn't all the 2 other bands sets be brought forward 15mins or so to accomodate?

What is the deal with the curfew at The Cathouse? Is it a case of they simply can't have live music after 10:30pm. I thought it might be because they are a nightclub as well but from what I could see on their website they don't have anything on on a Wednesday. Although the setlist was a bit shorter I did like the fact they skipped over the whole encore thing. I wish more bands did that. I went to the Manics at The Music Hall in Aberdeen back in 2010 and they didn't do an encore but did a long set with some awesome surprises in it. As I was leaving there were people going "Oh I can't believe they didn't do an encore". I just thought to myself "What!? What more do you people want?" but I guess we're so used to bands doing an encore that when one band doesn't do one we somehow feel ripped off. Here is the setlist which shows how good it was - http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/manic-street-preachers/2010/music-hall-aberdeen-scotland-bd539b6.html

I've seen bands where the sound is muddy and unclear but there were large portions of Alcest that were genuinely uncomfortable to listen to in a physical way. I was tempted to go round to the back at one point as I was feeling pretty bad from it!

That is my last gig of 2012. I already have Grand Magus, Gojira and Devildriver lined up next year.

Did anybody go and see Fear Factory/Devin Townsend Project the other day?

Fear Factory were really good (although i had some really irritating big b*****d in front me the whole time, who spent more time obsessing over 2 girls than watching the band and i was near the front too)

Devin Townsend was awsome, the video leading up to the band coming on was quality and even though the only album ive heard of theirs was "addicted", i thoroughly enjoyed it, Devin Townsend i must say has a very poisitive outlook on life, doesnt he?

Thats it for 2012, The Sword play first week in January but im working that night so i might not get to that one, id like too though.

Fear Factory were really good (although i had some really irritating big b*****d in front me the whole time, who spent more time obsessing over 2 girls than watching the band and i was near the front too)

Devin Townsend was awsome, the video leading up to the band coming on was quality and even though the only album ive heard of theirs was "addicted", i thoroughly enjoyed it, Devin Townsend i must say has a very poisitive outlook on life, doesnt he?

Excellent gig. Again my only gripe being that DT was only on for an hour due to a restrictive curfew. The end of the show was too rushed.

Saw this on blabbermouth though it doesn't say which countries it'll cover.

ANTHRAX will headline the third annual Metal Alliance Tour, set to kick off in March and run through the month of April. The bandlb_icon1.png will perform its fan-favorite 1987 album "Among The Living" in its entirety during the trek, which will feature support from EXODUS, MUNICIPAL WASTE, HOLY GRAIL and a couple of additional bands, to be announced at a later datelb_icon1.png. <br itxtNodeId="58">

I'm sure they've done the Among the living album before when Belladonna 1st returned but i may be wrong.

First time I've seen Fear Factory. Burton's voice was a bit Colin Nish but the band were tight as feck. Only know a handful of their songs but they were decent at what they do. Got Dino to autograph a ticket for my missus outside. Sound lad.

I saw Dev early last year when he was touring Addicted! He pretty much always delivers live. I saw Strapping Young Lad back in 2006 when he was still into the booze/pot/pharmaceuticals. It was an incredibly intense, unforgettable show featuring some of the finest metal musicians there has been imo, but looking back you could see that the guy had a lot of issues he was dealing with. It's good to see the guy happy in himself now and not putting on an act in order to appear "metal". There were quite a few tunes from the latest release (Epicloud) which sounded quality although annoyingly I don't have the record yet so only knew a couple of them.

Kvelertak is on the 9th

I was going by the dates on the Metal Hammer website and they had the 10th down - http://www.metalhammer.co.uk/news/kvelertak-announce-uk-tour/

My main issue will now be sorting out transport so if I decide to go to this now I can see the Aberdeen-Motherwell game and make it down in time.