The Metalhead thread

Zizou-5

Machine Head (as always) were fucking outstanding in the Liquid Room in Edinburgh tonight.

Loved Robb getting involved with and adopting the “Here we! Here we! Here we fucking go!” chant. Freely admit forty-something me lost the plot and went nuts when they played Nation On Fire. Then when they covered Raining Blood I almost made a dash for the pit but luckily the forty-something sensibilities kicked in and said “Just stay where you are you silly auld c**t”. 

Still kicked the arse out it, bent myself double and headbanged like f**k all night like it was 1994 all over again. God help me in the morning!

What a fucking gig though! 

ETA: Morning after update: 

Send help 🤕

D6678447-3BBA-4392-9C86-F51D7BE93B45.jpeg

17596978-D633-4F6F-95AB-B9AA16A846CA.jpeg

C6D818F4-A1F7-4A40-8A57-A40E6CF5B882.jpeg

Edited by 8MileBU

• 2 months later...

New single time lads, just released this yesterday. Links here to Spotify  Apple Music  Tidal  or you can watch the performance video below. 

As always...any and all support is massively appreciated, but especially this time as a 30 second section towards the end earns Andrew Lloyd Webber a percentage of my 0.007p per stream 🤣🤣.

Cheers!

Damnation was great. Saw:

Salvation:

Mastiff (missed first 10 due to a late train)

Pupil Slicer (very good)

Ithaca (crowd loved it, I wasn't so keen)

We Lost the Sea (astonishing, second best post-rock/metal set I've seen at Damnation behind Bossk.

Celeste (was utterly done, enjoyed what I heard but I was knackered)

Damnation:

Distant (solid, if generic start)

Irist (one of my favourites from the weekend)

Bruit (really made the use of being on the stage with the best sound)

So Hideous (decent)

Full of Hell (okay, but wasn't in the mood for it)

We Lost the Sea (very good again)

Pig Destoyer (did Prowler in the Yard, it ruled)

Wolves in the Throne Room (in full pretentious mode, got bored)

My Dying Bride (sound was a mess, but recovered)

Misery Index (pretty good)

Godflesh (took a few songs to get the audio sorted but good, Like Rats to start is a set is brilliant)

Despised Icon (very fast, very intense)

Elder (a candidate for band of the day)

Converge (excellent)

1 hour ago, Comrie said:

Damnation was great. Saw:

Salvation:

Mastiff (missed first 10 due to a late train)

Pupil Slicer (very good)

Ithaca (crowd loved it, I wasn't so keen)

We Lost the Sea (astonishing, second best post-rock/metal set I've seen at Damnation behind Bossk.

Celeste (was utterly done, enjoyed what I heard but I was knackered)

Damnation:

Distant (solid, if generic start)

Irist (one of my favourites from the weekend)

Bruit (really made the use of being on the stage with the best sound)

So Hideous (decent)

Full of Hell (okay, but wasn't in the mood for it)

We Lost the Sea (very good again)

Pig Destoyer (did Prowler in the Yard, it ruled)

Wolves in the Throne Room (in full pretentious mode, got bored)

My Dying Bride (sound was a mess, but recovered)

Misery Index (pretty good)

Godflesh (took a few songs to get the audio sorted but good, Like Rats to start is a set is brilliant)

Despised Icon (very fast, very intense)

Elder (a candidate for band of the day)

Converge (excellent)

Sounds like the move to the new venue went pretty well. Most of the complaints I've read have been about lack of seating, access to water, queue for food and the sound on the main stage.

Hopefully I'll get to go next year.

I see the Lamb of God/Kreator tour has been postponed AGAIN to February/March next year. To rub not just salt but highly corrosive acid into the wound the Glasgow date has just been plain cancelled. Absolute shite.

https://www.facebook.com/lambofgod/posts/pfbid0E7auXVnvAesxV3xrFx1GpUsgwdKFVMmBrNXeWU9rkTASzPRKctgonfie1KQWqdqml

Edited by NorthernLights

7 minutes ago, NorthernLights said:

Sounds like the move to the new venue went pretty well. Most of the complaints I've read have been about lack of seating, access to water, queue for food and the sound on the main stage.

Yeah, that's about the only issue I had with it, along with people gathering on the steps to the Pins and Knuckles stage, blocking the way down. Taxis were scalping folk badly as well- though I walked both days.

The Damnation Forum pass was a godsend, allowed a little down time when needed.

Edited by Comrie

2 minutes ago, NorthernLights said:

Hopefully I'll get to go next year.

I see the Lamb of God/Kreator tour has been postponed AGAIN to February/March next year. To rub not just salt but highly corrosive acid into the wound the Glasgow date has just been plain cancelled. Absolute shite.

https://www.facebook.com/lambofgod/posts/pfbid0E7auXVnvAesxV3xrFx1GpUsgwdKFVMmBrNXeWU9rkTASzPRKctgonfie1KQWqdqml

That's really disappointing from LoG, particularly since the gig was sold out. It's been nearly a decade since they headlined here.

Contrastingly, Damnation's success is terrific and well deserved. Hopefully the event continues to go from strength to strength over the next few years. It and ArcTanGent are the only UK festivals I'd consider attending now.

• 3 weeks later...

A couple of days ago Metallica dropped a new single 'LuxAeterna' in advance of their new album '72 Seasons' which comes out next year.

72 Seasons | Metallica.com

Bit of an old school vibe and something of a banger. Hetfield's voice in great shape. As veteran of seeing them back in 86 I rather like it.

No UK Dates except for Download next year. 

20 minutes ago, AndyM said:

A couple of days ago Metallica dropped a new single 'LuxAeterna' in advance of their new album '72 Seasons' which comes out next year.

Bit of an old school vibe and something of a banger. Hetfield's voice in great shape. As veteran of seeing them back in 86 I rather like it.

It manages to combine such diverse influences as '80s Motörhead '90s Motörhead and even twentyfirst century Motörhead to produce one of the greatest songs of the genre

That genre being songs that sound like Motörhead but aren't

And right now that's as good as we're going to get

Voice sounds rough but in a good way, and I'm a total sucker for that Motorhead/NWOBHM quick style.

My brother said to me it sounds like a Metallica NWOBHM cover song B-side, and I agree and am always up for that. Think It's Electric, The Prince, Blitzkrieg etc.

7 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Voice sounds rough but in a good way, and I'm a total sucker for that Motorhead/NWOBHM quick style.

My brother said to me it sounds like a Metallica NWOBHM cover song B-side, and I agree and am always up for that. Think It's Electric, The Prince, Blitzkrieg etc.

Yep, It's much more Diamond Head / early Maiden than Motorhead IMHO.

But it's their style now. Melody, clean vocals, loud guitars and Drums and the bass buried in the mix.  Most of the Under 25s who wear Metallica t shirts (like my daughter) have no idea about NWOBHM bands and why should they. I'm not expecting another Master or Justice but I enjoyed it and I've pre-ordered the vinyl.

They're still superb live but it's an expensive old night out seeing them now. Those two nighter European dates will max out a lot of folk's credit cards, a far cry from my £5.50 at the Playhouse in September 1986.

16 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

1990 "Escape From The Studio" mini tour for my first, at the SECC which cost about thruppence ha'penny.

Enjoyed them at the Hydro in '17 (IIRC) but the sound was terrible, especially the bass, for us paupers up in the gods.

Ha, I was at that one too, despite a University exam the next day, am sure it was about a tenner at most.

Re the Hydro gig in 2017, I was front row in the seats but yes the sound was terrible for the first couple of songs where we were. Previous Glasgow gig in 2009 at the SECC, the sound was excellent.

One of my finest ever nights was at the Barras where, unbelievably, your actual Metallica played. They were supported by prime Corrosion of Conformity and it was the hottest I've ever been at a gig. Was amazing to get down to the front and be so close to them.

Soaked in sweat by the end, so bought my one and only bootleg t shirt outside to walk back to town.

On 30/11/2022 at 11:37, AndyM said:

Just given a listen,  Sounds like a metal by numbers effort,   I know that's an accusation that has been thrown at metallica for about 30 years but mostly I think its been unfair this however contains absolutely zero innovation and is just patched together parts with little transition. 'there should be a guitar solo here, put one in. should we match it with the rest of the song? nah why would you do that?

Edited by parsforlife

On 30/11/2022 at 11:37, AndyM said:

Just listened to it, and I must admit the song is cracking. 

On 30/11/2022 at 16:26, Ranaldo Bairn said:

1990 "Escape From The Studio" mini tour for my first, at the SECC which cost about thruppence ha'penny.

Enjoyed them at the Hydro in '17 (IIRC) but the sound was terrible, especially the bass, for us paupers up in the gods.

On 01/12/2022 at 08:44, AndyM said:

Ha, I was at that one too, despite a University exam the next day, am sure it was about a tenner at most.

Re the Hydro gig in 2017, I was front row in the seats but yes the sound was terrible for the first couple of songs where we were. Previous Glasgow gig in 2009 at the SECC, the sound was excellent.

I was at both of these but have to disagree. I was up in the gods at the Hydro but thought the sound was excellent. Yeah it was a bit bass heavy for the opening Hardwired, but their sound team seemed to have it sorted about 30 seconds into Atlas Rise. The remainder of the gig I thought the sound was excellent.

As for SECC 2009, I thought the sound was absolutely atrocious. Those tin box halls were always hit or miss with metal bands though. For every great sounding gig I’ve seen at the SECC there’s been an awful one.