The Metalhead thread

Zizou-5

28 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

That's right, although Antisocial was before Nicko joined.

I reckon Senjutsu is a big improvement on Book of Souls but still miles off everything else they've done since Bruce returned. The drop off in that period is pretty stark for me. Brave New World - Dance of Death - A Matter of Life and Death is a genuine contender for the greatest three album run in their career, then Final Frontier - Book of Souls - Senjutsu is among the weakest.

Big day of releases today with Carcass, Employed to Serve and Alien Weaponry albums out.

No Prayer... through Virtual XI is obviously the weakest by a mile. Although it is perhaps unfair to judge the Bayley period as he was poorly chosen, the actual music on his 2 albums is dull and repetitive.

Note: yes I know every album has the odd bright spot but overall I think this is true.

I got the Carcass Despicable EP and was very disappointed, so I will probably skip Torn Arteries.

6 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

No Prayer... through Virtual XI is obviously the weakest by a mile.

Oh aye, no argument there.

Would not recommend the Alien Weaponry album to anyone, big disappointment. Employed to Serve however, fucking hell.

On 14/09/2021 at 17:45, Ranaldo Bairn said:

I cannot stand TBoS at all. I hate it. TFF is one of my top 5 IM albums ever, on the other hand! In't opinions weird!

Your points about re-using material is absolutely valid though. Nicko's down to about 3 different drumbeats these days, and the blatant theft of the intro from Wasted Years on some song or other on TBoS is reason #36365169 why I can't stand it.

Janick's been the "sub goalkeeper" of Iron Maiden FC for some time now. Harsh, perhaps. But would they miss him if he left?

Good analogy. For no real reason at all I’ve never really been able to take to Janick. Tbh I think it’s maybe as petty as his love of big white trainers and trying to play fight whatever big Eddie is on stage. Both these things annoy me even more than Dave being in Iron Maiden with a bit of a Lloyd-Webber appearance about his face.

On 17/09/2021 at 11:48, Dunning1874 said:

Oh aye, no argument there.

Would not recommend the Alien Weaponry album to anyone, big disappointment. Employed to Serve however, fucking hell.

Haven’t heard their latest offering but as their previous stuff is utter pish anyway, probably not missing much.

I went and booked my ticket for Damnation 22. 

Gambled on it and so far they've booked in the following so happy:

• Ministry.
  • Converge.
  • Elder.
  • Pallbearer.
  • Pig Destroyer.
  • Destruction.
  • Despised Icon.
  • Toxic Holocaust.

30 minutes ago, Comrie said:

I went and booked my ticket for Damnation 22. 

Gambled on it and so far they've booked in the following so happy:

• Ministry.
  • Converge.
  • Elder.
  • Pallbearer.
  • Pig Destroyer.
  • Destruction.
  • Despised Icon.
  • Toxic Holocaust.

It'll be an interesting one next year with the move back to Manchester. The venue does look better suited to hosting a multistage type event like Damnation but I will miss the charm and chaos of the venue in Leeds.

Actually just finalised my plans for this years Damnation yesterday - down and back for under £38 in travel costs.

Got a ticket for the "Night of Salvation" pre-show on the Friday night as well.

Looking at the line up for this year I think I'll struggle to see everyone I want to see as clashes will surely be inevitable - Dvne, Wode, Urne, Man Must Die, Boss Keloid, Party Cannon, Green Lung, Hellripper, Evile, Winterfylleth, Conjurer, Memoriam, Onslaught, Paradise Lost & Carcass. 

2 hours ago, NorthernLights said:

It'll be an interesting one next year with the move back to Manchester. The venue does look better suited to hosting a multistage type event like Damnation but I will miss the charm and chaos of the venue in Leeds.

Actually just finalised my plans for this years Damnation yesterday - down and back for under £38 in travel costs.

Got a ticket for the "Night of Salvation" pre-show on the Friday night as well.

Looking at the line up for this year I think I'll struggle to see everyone I want to see as clashes will surely be inevitable - Dvne, Wode, Urne, Man Must Die, Boss Keloid, Party Cannon, Green Lung, Hellripper, Evile, Winterfylleth, Conjurer, Memoriam, Onslaught, Paradise Lost & Carcass. 

£38 is mad, bus?

I spent about £90 on a train as I find the bus seats way too cramped.

And I'm going to the Night of Salavation as well. I think Boom! shut, so it'll be something to do on the Friday when I get down there.

41 minutes ago, Comrie said:

£38 is mad, bus?

I spent about £90 on a train as I find the bus seats way too cramped.

And I'm going to the Night of Salavation as well. I think Boom! shut, so it'll be something to do on the Friday when I get down there.

Managed to get a train from Glasgow (I live nearer there then Aberdeen nowadays) for about £21.  I was struggling to get back via the train without spending a small fortune and I wasn't willing to wait any longer to see if any more advanced fares got released so its a bus back from Leeds via Manchester for about £17.

Got the bus once from Perth to Donington.

Boys pissed by Glasgow, spewing up by the border, dead on arrival at Donington.

Foolishly got it again from London to Eindhoven for Dynamo. Whole journey soundtracked by the execrable sounds of a Strapping Young Lad live album played over and over and over again by a gang of big boys on the back seats. Driver and many passengers utterly homicidal by the end.

So no, I would not recommend getting the bus to a metal event.

Edit: these were chartered buses, not service buses.

Edited by Ranaldo Bairn

On 22/09/2021 at 13:03, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Got the bus once from Perth to Donington.

Boys pissed by Glasgow, spewing up by the border, dead on arrival at Donington.

Foolishly got it again from London to Eindhoven for Dynamo. Whole journey soundtracked by the execrable sounds of a Strapping Young Lad live album played over and over and over again by a gang of big boys on the back seats. Driver and many passengers utterly homicidal by the end.

So no, I would not recommend getting the bus to a metal event.

Edit: these were chartered buses, not service buses.

Did Download from Perth a few times back in the day. Picked up in Canal Street and had possibly got folk in Dundee before. Went from Buchanan Street in Glasgow before too. Hazy days.

15 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

Well that sounds awful. 

I read some claims that whenever possible now Tool gigs are all seater due to an incident back in 2006 when some fans got hurt in a crush at one of their gigs. I do remember being at their SECC gig in 2006 and the crowd really did surge right at the start. 

I was already considering getting a seating ticket for this one anyway so I wasn't that bothered when it turned out it was all-seating anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Starting to decide on who I'll see at Damnation. So far:

Cryptic Shift

Abduction

Party Cannon

Urne/Evile - very unsure on this one still

Bossk

Green Lung

That's me sorted until 5:30 or so, at least.

• 2 weeks later...