The Metalhead thread

Zizou-5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, Derek Patterson said:

Went to get the new Maiden after work but shop shut just as I got there 😞

Waiting on the new Wildhearts arriving too. Getting the CD and also the limited edition purple vinyl.

I'm loving it.

A warm, laidback feel to most songs. Brexit Bruce seems to have lowered and calmed his voice - it's not so shrill as before.

It's levels above the shite that was TBOS.

1 minute ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

I'm loving it.

A warm, laidback feel to most songs. Brexit Bruce seems to have lowered and calmed his voice - it's not so shrill as before.

It's levels above the shite that was TBOS.

As an aside, I also ordered the two Samson albums that Bruce sang on before Maiden. They are superb! Highly recommended.

The record was actually done during a break from touring in 2019 so I'd figure Bruce's voice would be in good shape for it.

I'll go and pick up the cd the morn and blast it in the car. Bar the 2 songs they put out prior to the release, I've not listened to anything else. Never been arsed with streaming.

On 24/06/2021 at 08:20, 8MileBU said:

I will happily admit that I am far happier with Miley Cyrus covering Nothing Else Matters than Biffy Clyro covering any Metallica or having anything at all to do with this album.

Cover ? i'd listen to anything by Cyrus, Miley or her da' if the alternative was Biffy.

2 hours ago, Meldrew said:

Cover ? i'd listen to anything by Cyrus, Miley or her da' if the alternative was Biffy.

I think it's perfectly reasonable for Miley Cyrus to be covering something on "The Black Album." a record which if we're being honest is a pop record. It would be much more interesting to hear Miley tackle "Battery", "Master Of Puppets" or even "One".

26 minutes ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

I think it's perfectly reasonable for Miley Cyrus to be covering something on "The Black Album." a record which if we're being honest is a pop record. It would be much more interesting to hear Miley tackle "Battery", "Master Of Puppets" or even "One".

The Black album is where i said my goodbyes and thanks for the metallica memories, i don't care about Miley Cyrus, don't @ me again until Little Mix do a cover of the Four Horsemen

I always find these Metallica takes absolutely wild.

The only way I could understand anyone dismissing all things Metallica after AJFA (Which is my favourite incidentally), is if you ONLY like metal music. If that's the case then fair enough. That's weird....but fair enough.

If you like other genre's of guitar music and you dismiss anything after AJFA then you are missing out on some of the best hard rock songs ever written. I'm an old school Metallica fan, however I could give you a albums worth of songs even from Load onwards let alone the Black Album, that are just phenomenal. Even from a metal point of view my favourite actual metal riff of all time is from their later catalogue.

Also, Master of Puppets is held up amongst guitar players as the benchmark of downpicking ability. But in my opinion the Black Album has a harder one thats more difficult to nail....

Edited by Al B

To be fair I really liked book of souls barring a couple songs. Riffs were better than Senjutsu tho imo but I thought Final Frontier was probably their worst bruce album so anything after that was going to be better.

New one has some real highlights, Writing on the wall is different but grew on me. Loving stratego and Days of future past. Time machine is good once you get past the legacy rip off intro. Will need to relisten a few more times to get into the longer songs. They didn't instantly draw me in like the Red and the black did last outing.

Only downsides to me are repeating licks and solos especially from Janick. He's had the same solos for 4 albums.  

1 hour ago, PrestersKTID said:

To be fair I really liked book of souls barring a couple songs. Riffs were better than Senjutsu tho imo but I thought Final Frontier was probably their worst bruce album so anything after that was going to be better.

New one has some real highlights, Writing on the wall is different but grew on me. Loving stratego and Days of future past. Time machine is good once you get past the legacy rip off intro. Will need to relisten a few more times to get into the longer songs. They didn't instantly draw me in like the Red and the black did last outing.

Only downsides to me are repeating licks and solos especially from Janick. He's had the same solos for 4 albums.  

I cannot stand TBoS at all. I hate it. TFF is one of my top 5 IM albums ever, on the other hand! In't opinions weird!

Your points about re-using material is absolutely valid though. Nicko's down to about 3 different drumbeats these days, and the blatant theft of the intro from Wasted Years on some song or other on TBoS is reason #36365169 why I can't stand it.

Janick's been the "sub goalkeeper" of Iron Maiden FC for some time now. Harsh, perhaps. But would they miss him if he left?

On 15/09/2021 at 02:01, marty_j said:

Days of future past riff Is basically anti social by Trust (Nikos original band £ - more famously coveted by anthrax . I think

That's right, although Antisocial was before Nicko joined.

I reckon Senjutsu is a big improvement on Book of Souls but still miles off everything else they've done since Bruce returned. The drop off in that period is pretty stark for me. Brave New World - Dance of Death - A Matter of Life and Death is a genuine contender for the greatest three album run in their career, then Final Frontier - Book of Souls - Senjutsu is among the weakest.

Big day of releases today with Carcass, Employed to Serve and Alien Weaponry albums out.