The Metalhead thread

Zizou-5

2 hours ago, NorthernLights said:

So Jon Schaffer of Iced Earth is a pro-Trump lunatic. Probably not a massive surprise tbh.

Oh FFS, between that and the lad from Deftones mincing on about anti-vax. Sometimes have to really focus on separating the art from the artist.

48 minutes ago, George Parr said:

Oh FFS, between that and the lad from Deftones mincing on about anti-vax. Sometimes have to really focus on separating the art from the artist.

I don’t even want to see or hear anything from Ted Nugent! Rock’s premier roaster!

Black metal is full of sketch folk. It's like six degrees of Kevin Bacon but it's six degrees of sketchy b*****d. Pretty much name any somewhat known black metal band & there's a dodgy connection eventually down the line.

• 3 weeks later...

Been enjoying quite a bit of music released in the last year or so. The new BMTH album was really good, new Architects isn't much like old Architects but the singles still sound pretty good, the new Erra album is shaping up very nicely as well. Enjoying their new stuff as much as anything since Augment.

• 1 month later...

Delighted to see Architects secure a number 1 album on Friday with For Those Who Wish to Exist.

https://www.officialcharts.com/chart-news/architects-win-close-battle-to-secure-their-first-number-1-album-with-for-those-that-wish-to-exist-it-s-unbelievable-__32616/

The first couple of singles I heard I wasn't sure about if I would like this album or not but its been on pretty constantly for me since it was released. Can't wait to hear the likes of Black Lung, Demigod, Animals, Impermanence and Meteor live.

Download has been cancelled but Bloodstock is hanging in there. They've lost Merciful Fate and a replacement headliner is due to be announced this week. I was wondering if it might be Architects who get the nod. I get the impression that Bloodstock are willing to give "newer" bands a chance of headlining and not caring what the "troo" metal fans say, they did have Parkway Drive the other year.

I have my ticket for Damnation so I'm really hopeful that goes ahead given its not until November. Just seen they are down to under 200 tickets so if anyone on here was interested then you probably don't have long to make a move.

L-G Petrov vocalist of Entombed has passed away aged 49

It’s with heavy hearts that Decibel announces the passing of Entombed A.D. vocalist Lars-Göran “L-G” Petrov, who lost his battle with bile duct cancer on March 7 at the age of 49.

Petrov famously fronted Nihilist, universally hailed as the most important Swedish death metal band of the late-’80s, before the group split and quickly reformed as Entombed a few days later. With Entombed, Petrov recorded Left Hand Path in 1990, widely considered to be ground zero for the Swedish death metal explosion. The vocalist would leave a band for a year before returning to record the equally influential death ‘n’ roll classic Wolverine Blues, eventually released in 1993.

Petrov would go on to record seven more LPs with Entombed before the group splintered, resulting in a legal dispute regarding ownership of the band’s name. In 2014, Petrov, with bandmates Nicolas Elgstrand and Olle Dahlstedt, carried on as Entombed A.D., who recorded a trio of death metal records for Century Media between 2014 and 2019. During the same period, Petrov also recorded three LPs with the old-school death metal side project Firespawn.

Decibel sends our love to L-G’s family and friends, all of Entombed and Entombed A.D.’s fans around the world and everyone who was inspired and influenced by his incredible performances that helped define death metal as we know it. To you, you own god, master slave, you will be beyond the grave.

That's shite. Hopefully he got to enjoy himself for a while with the donations that he received.

Doesn't seem like folk in touring metal bands are very long-lived, on the whole.

On 09/03/2021 at 15:27, GNU_Linux said:

THAT first 30 seconds or so of LHP changed my life forever. I had been a metalhead for 6 or so years already, but mostly trad stuff, Maiden and that. Bit of Slayer maybe.

I can clearly picture myself doing the ironing, funnily enough, and my jaw hitting the floor when Uffe /Alex kicked in with the godliest of all guitar tones.

Within a week or two, I'd played 'Beneath the Remains' and 'Deicide' to death, and I'm still utterly in thrall to quality Death and Black Metal ever since.

Rest In Festering Slime, LG.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Imagine the da's/generic 'heavy music' taste types are raging about the prospect of popular musician Myley Cyrus et al covering super underground  real music band Metallica.

Track list for those curious

CD 1:

Enter Sandman – Alessia Cara & The Warning

Enter Sandman – Mac DeMarco

Enter Sandman – Ghost

Enter Sandman – Juanes

Enter Sandman – Rina Sawayama

Enter Sandman – Weezer

Sad But True (Live) – Sam Fender

Sad But True – Jason Isbell

Sad But True – Mexican Institute of Sound feat. La Perla & Gera MX

Sad But True – Royal Blood

Sad But True – St. Vincent

Sad But True – White Reaper

Sad But True – YB

CD 2:

Holier Than Thou – Biffy Clyro

Holier Than Thou – The Chats

Holier Than Thou – OFF!

Holier Than Thou – PUP

Holier Than Thou – Corey Taylor

The Unforgiven – Cage The Elephant

The Unforgiven – Vishal Dadlani, DIVINE, Shor Police

The Unforgiven – Diet Cig

The Unforgiven – Flatbush Zombies feat. DJ Scratch

The Unforgiven – Ha*Ash

The Unforgiven – José Madero

The Unforgiven – Moses Sumney

CD 3:

Wherever I May Roam – J Balvin

Wherever I May Roam – Chase & Status feat. BackRoad Gee

Wherever I May Roam – The Neptunes

Wherever I May Roam – Jon Pardi

Don’t Tread on Else Matters – SebastiAn

Don’t Tread on Me – Portugal. The Man

Don’t Tread on Me – Volbeat

Through the Never – The HU

Through the Never – Tomi Owó

Nothing Else Matters – Phoebe Bridgers

Nothing Else Matters – Miley Cyrus (feat. WATT, Elton John, Yo-Yo Ma, Robert Trujillo, Chad Smith)

Nothing Else Matters – Dave Gahan

Nothing Else Matters – Mickey Guyton

Nothing Else Matters – Dermot Kennedy

Nothing Else Matters – Mon Laferte

CD 4:

Nothing Else Matters – Igor Levit

Nothing Else Matters – My Morning Jacket

Nothing Else Matters – PG Roxette

Nothing Else Matters – Darius Rucker

Nothing Else Matters – Chris Stapleton

Nothing Else Matters – TRESOR

Of Wolf and Man – Goodnight, Texas

The God That Failed – IDLES

The God That Failed – Imelda May

My Friend of Misery – Cherry Glazerr

My Friend of Misery – Izïa

My Friend of Misery – Kamasi Washington

The Struggle Within – Rodrigo y Gabriela

Edited by GNU_Linux

17 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:

Imagine the da's/generic 'heavy music' taste types are raging about the prospect of popular musician Myley Cyrus et al covering super underground  real music band Metallica.

Track list for those curious

I will happily admit that I am far happier with Miley Cyrus covering Nothing Else Matters than Biffy Clyro covering any Metallica or having anything at all to do with this album.

• 4 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

New Maiden sounds promising. 

I like the "Appalachian" feel.

Still not forgiven them for The Book of Souls though, so the album better be a stonker. 

Not heard it yet...are there any metal musicians that aren't total spaffheads!?