The Metalhead thread

Zizou-5

11 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Blessed are the Sick is a class album. Been listening to a bit of Morbid Angel lately and I like them far more now than back in the day. Listened to Scream Bloody Gore a few weeks ago and it's still Death's worst album, for me, but considering how good albums like Leprosy and (especially) Human are, that's probably not as harsh as it sounds. Chuck Schuldiner was a talented fucker; a terrific lyricist, and did an excellent job of assembling (what basically amounted to) session musicians around him on a rotating basis.

I believe I'll be trying out these Cryptopsy and Necrophagist albums in my work bunker tomorrow. Also that unpronounceable Bone Saw thing. If anyone wants to put together a band called Dead on a Burning Dick, I'll be happy to give your creations an ear; I like the way you think already.

I will always love Leprosy and Spiritual Healing, and I met Chuck and co. on the Human tour when they came to Glasgow. Lovely polite young men they were too.

I lost interest in Death thereafter, and actually only got their post Human CDs in a wee splurge a couple of weeks ago. They are all highly proficient, no doubt, but are not quite to my palate.

I chose SBG for the sheer ferocity of its attack, given the early time period, and the excellent job it does of providing classic earworms in a difficult genre to do so!

Oh, I actually forgot Deicide's debut album as a contender for the podium too.

19 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Blessed are the Sick is a class album. Been listening to a bit of Morbid Angel lately and I like them far more now than back in the day. Listened to Scream Bloody Gore a few weeks ago and it's still Death's worst album, for me, but considering how good albums like Leprosy and (especially) Human are, that's probably not as harsh as it sounds. Chuck Schuldiner was a talented fucker; a terrific lyricist, and did an excellent job of assembling (what basically amounted to) session musicians around him on a rotating basis.

I believe I'll be trying out these Cryptopsy and Necrophagist albums in my work bunker tomorrow. Also that unpronounceable Bone Saw thing. If anyone wants to put together a band called Dead on a Burning Dick, I'll be happy to give your creations an ear; I like the way you think already.

© 8milbu 🖕

A few live streams coming up over the next few weeks that I'm excited about.

This Saturday Trivium are doing a free stream on Twitch from their rehearsal space entitled "The Deepest Cuts".

https://www.facebook.com/events/359083872161809/

On the 5th of September Behemoth are doing a paid stream from a church in Poland, this one is called In Absentia Dei.  I bought my "directors cut" ticket for £11.  For a few quid more there is an option where you can select the camera angles during the performance. Imperial Triumphant are doing a support set too.

https://www.facebook.com/events/243974576745801/

Almost immediately after the Behemoth stream Devin Townsend is doing a "Live By Request" show.  It is the set he was going to be doing at Bloodstock this year.  Its the priciest of the ones I'm listing here at $25 but its Devin so you know it'll be fun and you'll have a lovely time and some SYL songs too.

https://www.facebook.com/events/306533504045360/

Finally on the 13th of September Venom Prison are doing a paid (£4.99) live set via Hotel Radio.   

https://www.facebook.com/events/675284899733150/

It isn't the same as going to a live gig in person but I do find these shows are scratching some of that itch for live music.

Edited by NorthernLights

10 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

Fucking hell. Been listening to them loads in recent years. My newest favourite band. Well waking up to that news sucks! ☹️

Nightmare Logic was as perfect as a thrash album could be this century. Seeing them open sets with that riff storm of Soul Sacrifice followed by Executioner's Tax was a delight, when they did it supporting Trivium it was great to look around at people who'd never heard them before and see jaws dropping all over the place.

8 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

Nightmare Logic was as perfect as a thrash album could be this century. Seeing them open sets with that riff storm of Soul Sacrifice followed by Executioner's Tax was a delight, when they did it supporting Trivium it was great to look around at people who'd never heard them before and see jaws dropping all over the place.

I had tickets for the Lamb of God gig that was scheduled back in May. The tickets were purchased more for the opportunity to see Power Trip live for the first time as opposed to Lamb of God for the 6th, 7th time or thereabouts. 

A total bummer to hear that today. Power Trip’s albums are thrash perfection. Riley was a proper fucking frontman too. Gutted for the rest of the band too just as they were arguably about to hit their peak. 

Been listening to a bunch of lads called Pissgrave this week. Great to work to, as it blocks everything else out and sounds like some horrific industrial machine is about to rip you apart for not working hard enough. Takes Phil Spector's Wall of Sound production philosophy to new levels.

Anyway, I was listening to an album on YouTube just now, when it stopped for an ad break mid-grind: "Millions of Britons are being ripped off by the funeral industry..." [emoji1]

Been listening to Damnation Verses, a podcast from, unsurprisingly Damnation Festival.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxZgB-AxWBjXjmgNJ8aLfrQ

https://damnationversus.buzzsprout.com/?fbclid=IwAR1ftaLB1Pm3qys3GSukn_7o9fAGCQBfASWdx4YcDlx1-ITLWmAAX99Rpc4

An interesting look behind the scenes from various view points of the music industry be it band member, tour manager or festival booker.

Seeing as Damnation Festival looks done this year, it's  disappointing that I can't see Bossk this year. However, I'm delighted to see they've confirned that they'll come back for 2021 if it can go ahead.

2 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

Some horrendous allegations have been made about the founder and head of Holy Roar, to the point that several bands have walked from the label along with the rest of the management.

Just read the Holy Roar stuff. Alex Fitzpatrick sounds like an absolute predator and all round wrong-un. 

On 03/08/2020 at 10:01, Mad Capsule said:

New Download line up looking pretty tasty. Worried about if it'll actually go ahead though!FB_IMG_1596444924667.jpeg

Thoughts on Biffy Clyro as a Saturday headliner? Personally think Biffy are gash and would rather see any of Korn, Killswitch, Gojira or ADTR in that spot.

Would definitely be heading to the second stage after Gojira that day.

6 hours ago, GiGi said:

Thoughts on Biffy Clyro as a Saturday headliner? Personally think Biffy are gash and would rather see any of Korn, Killswitch, Gojira or ADTR in that spot.

Would definitely be heading to the second stage after Gojira that day.

Agree about Biffy. Not a fan at all. 

Looking at that lineup, for me only Korn or Volbeat have that ‘niche’ headliner thing about them.

Given download have traditionally been reluctant to have a rookie headliner if biffy are going to be on the lineup then they are going to be as headliner.

Agree there’s probably a few bands who are worth giving the chance to now but as said they don’t like rookies and someone like biffy is going to give the lineup a broader appeal than have moving one of sub-headliners up.