The Metalhead thread

Zizou-5

6 minutes ago, GNU_Linux said:

LG Petrov the vocalist of Entombed has been diagnosed with incurable bile duct cancer.

https://metalinjection.net/news/bummer-alert/vocalist-lg-petrov-ex-entombed-entombed-a-d-diagnosed-with-cancer

That's shite. I was just listening to Entombed last week. Good band. Nobody warns you that life's about watching everyone you've ever admired die.

There's a link to his crowdfunder in the article. I don't think many of these guys make enough money that they can afford to give up working, so tossing them a bit of cash when things like this happen seems only fair. Hopefully he'll get to enjoy the time he has left.

(I was more Hollowman EP/Wolverine Blues than the early Death Metal stuff)

13 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

Good job you weren’t attempting any Slayer, SOD or Exodus type-stuff then! Even some Megadeth might make your arm fall off. Not much of a fan of the them but fair fux to Mustaine, he is lightning fast.

Aye but he's a shitebag. Down picking all the way, none of this alternate nonsense.

On 10/08/2020 at 16:11, 8MileBU said:

He’s a strange fellow but credit where it’s due, he’s fast.

Not sure what it is about Mustaine but I just can't take to him. Watched a live version of Hangar 18 and it was brilliant but the way plays gives me a sore neck. Singing like that as well would stop me from hitting most of the notes. Not the greatest picture to be fair because he was hunched over much more but I get sore just looking at it

100_5623.JPG

22 minutes ago, Toma_BullyWee said:

Not sure what it is about Mustaine but I just can't take to him. Watched a live version of Hangar 18 and it was brilliant but the way plays gives me a sore neck. Singing like that as well would stop me from hitting most of the notes. Not the greatest picture to be fair because he was hunched over much more but I get sore just looking at it

100_5623.JPG

Aye I’m not a fan of his singing and only like a handful of Megadeth songs but just kind of have to give credit because he can play fast as f**k.

Mustaine's a renowned w**k, but anyone who's tried to learn his guitar parts will appreciate his ability. Megadeth was the gateway drug that got me into the whole metal thing, before I discovered much harder, more addictive substances  :P

On 15/08/2020 at 10:29, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Mustaine's a renowned w**k, but anyone who's tried to learn his guitar parts will appreciate his ability. Megadeth was the gateway drug that got me into the whole metal thing, before I discovered much harder, more addictive substances  :P

Aye I was more referring to the speed of Hetfield's downpicking. My fingers are happy enough flying about the fretboard but that constant downpicking took a while to get back up to speed without my shoulder suffering.

Go on then, what's your poison?

Metallica were just perfect for me at the right age. Fast, melodic and interesting to play. Much heavier stuff out there but full pelt screaming was never really my thing. Some bands I just find ridiculous when they are down tuned to f**k, bang bang bang with growling over the top. Just never my thing really. 

I've never really gotten into the heavier side of metal. I get that it isn't, but some of it reaches a point where it all sounds the same.

I've grown obsessed with power metal and symphonic metal the last few years because my cousin takes me to gigs and a couple of them are among my favourites ever.

On 17/08/2020 at 14:00, Toma_BullyWee said:

Aye I was more referring to the speed of Hetfield's downpicking. My fingers are happy enough flying about the fretboard but that constant downpicking took a while to get back up to speed without my shoulder suffering.

Metallica were just perfect for me at the right age. Fast, melodic and interesting to play. Much heavier stuff out there but full pelt screaming was never really my thing. Some bands I just find ridiculous when they are down tuned to f**k, bang bang bang with growling over the top. Just never my thing really. 

On 17/08/2020 at 16:27, Willow Rosenberg said:

I've never really gotten into the heavier side of metal. I get that it isn't, but some of it reaches a point where it all sounds the same.

I've grown obsessed with power metal and symphonic metal the last few years because my cousin takes me to gigs and a couple of them are among my favourites ever.

I’m the same. I like a lot of really heavy sh*t, but some shit is just far too intense, lacks any melodies or harmony and is just too dark and horrible to listen to. 

Despite it being a massive success with a few good tracks, Slipknot’s second album Iowa is one I find practically unlistenable. Just roaring anger from start to finish.  

The genre ‘djent’ is just awful too. No idea how anyone can listen to Meshuggah for example.

Also, whether it’s black or death metal, I pretty much despise all the Scandinavian bands. 

One of my mates loves this band called Legion of the Damned. Some fast stuff which I‘d normally appreciate, but they are that down-tuned with an evil troll on vocals type-stuff and just really horrible to listen to.

Edited by 8MileBU

On 17/08/2020 at 14:00, Toma_BullyWee said:

I like all sorts, and have been away from 'the scene' for a very long time, but I do like a bit of grindcore.

I've seen a few videos about the evolution (and sprouting offshoots) of the genre, and it's amazed me to see how it evolved. I remember when it was mainly kids who couldn't play their instruments properly, like thrash with an even more punk aesthetic, but some of these bands are incredibly talented.

I feel very old!  :lol:

16 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

I like all sorts, and have been away from 'the scene' for a very long time, but I do like a bit of grindcore.

I'm lost already. About 10 years ago a million sub genres appeared and I have no idea who falls under what category.  Any bands in particular from that scene?

I mind when "hardcore" became a thing on the local scene about 2005. It was hilarious. Horrendous haircuts and lassies trousers coupled with truly magnificent dancing. 

As much as I enjoyed some of the bands the people were utterly bizarre. Same ones who go scene to scene because instead of having an actual personality they just go with what everyone else likes for that 3 week period.

Azriel and Flood of Red were 2 glasgow bands from that era who were pretty good.

3 minutes ago, Toma_BullyWee said:

I'm lost already. About 10 years ago a million sub genres appeared and I have no idea who falls under what category.  Any bands in particular from that scene?

There are a lot of radio-friendly, well known bands in the ‘grindcore’ genre you’ll have heard or heard of, such as:

*Anal c**t

*Assück

*Brain Drill

*Cattle Decapitation

*Cock & Ball Torture 

*Defacation

*Dead On A Burning Dick

To name but a few......

3 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

There are a lot of radio-friendly, well known bands in the ‘grindcore’ genre you’ll have heard or heard of, such as:

*Anal c**t

*Assück

*Brain Drill

*Cattle Decapitation

*Cock & Ball Torture 

*Defacation

*Dead On A Burning Dick

To name but a few......

Jesus. I've heard of Anal c**t but I'm not sure Dead On A Burning Dick is something I want to sink my teeth into

How about XavlegbmaofffassssitimiwoamndutroabcwapwaeiippohfffX?

Thats short for...

Acidic Vaginal Liquid Explosion Generated By Mass Amounts Of Filthy Fecal Fisting And Sadistic Septic Syphilic Sodomy Inside The Infected Maggot Infested Womb Of A Molested Nun Dying Under The Roof Of A Burning Church While A Priest Watches And Ejaculates In Immense Perverse Pleasure Over His First Fresh Fetus.

On 09/08/2020 at 23:12, BigFatTabbyDave said:

That's shite. I was just listening to Entombed last week. Good band. Nobody warns you that life's about watching everyone you've ever admired die.

There's a link to his crowdfunder in the article. I don't think many of these guys make enough money that they can afford to give up working, so tossing them a bit of cash when things like this happen seems only fair. Hopefully he'll get to enjoy the time he has left.

(I was more Hollowman EP/Wolverine Blues than the early Death Metal stuff)

LHP is the finest Death Metal album ever. Close runners up is Blessed Are The Sick and either Scream Bloody Gore or Mental Funeral get the bronze.

LHP is the finest Death Metal album ever. Close runners up is Blessed Are The Sick and either Scream Bloody Gore or Mental Funeral get the bronze.
None So Vile by Cryptopsy for me followed by Necrophagist's Epitaph.

Blessed are the Sick is a class album. Been listening to a bit of Morbid Angel lately and I like them far more now than back in the day. Listened to Scream Bloody Gore a few weeks ago and it's still Death's worst album, for me, but considering how good albums like Leprosy and (especially) Human are, that's probably not as harsh as it sounds. Chuck Schuldiner was a talented fucker; a terrific lyricist, and did an excellent job of assembling (what basically amounted to) session musicians around him on a rotating basis.

I believe I'll be trying out these Cryptopsy and Necrophagist albums in my work bunker tomorrow. Also that unpronounceable Bone Saw thing. If anyone wants to put together a band called Dead on a Burning Dick, I'll be happy to give your creations an ear; I like the way you think already.