The Metalhead thread

Zizou-5

On 20/02/2020 at 22:37, NorthernLights said:

Starting to get the feeling LotL isn't happening this year.  Only three bands announced and those were announced by November. No venue confirmed either and the obvious ones - Barrowlands and SWG3 are booked already on the 4th of April already.

Not been cancelled but has been rescheduled to September 26th.

I'm well up and I mean well up for Pig Destroyer at Damnation. Their last album was pretty good,

A tad bummed about Darkness but some of the bands they announced...christ, no wonder there's been a kickback against them. Kroda last year should have been a warning, surely?

• 3 weeks later...

Organizer insisting Darkness Guides Us is going ahead, with no line up changes but with a reduced attendance of 450.

Not convinced this will happen.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Watched Anvil. The Anvil Story the other day. Didn't know anything about them and was half expecting a Spinal Tap style piss take but it was actually very good and I warmed to them more as it went on. It was released in 2008 and I see they're still touring and releasing albums so good luck to them.

1 hour ago, Mad Capsule said:

New Download line up looking pretty tasty. Worried about if it'll actually go ahead though!FB_IMG_1596444924667.jpeg

At the current rate our country and the USA are making a c**t of it, it’s hard to have any hope for it even 10 months away still. 

If there’s no vaccine before then, I doubt it’d be feasible financially to run it on reduced attendance with social distancing rules. Once the beer is flowing, I also think it’s doubtful that folk could be trusted to distance and not start a mosh pit. Will some of the bands even want to come here if thugs don’t improve significantly or a vaccine be found? Do we want some of the bands coming here from any countries where the virus may still be rife?

IF we get a vaccine within that time frame, is everyone going to get vaccinated in time? Will there need to be some sort of proof of vaccination implemented before entry ban be guaranteed? Would need to be applied to the bands too. 

So many ifs, buts, maybes and things to consider. 

Got back into Metallica in a big way after not listening to them for a number of years. It still amazes me how the songs hold up almost 40 years later and other than the production, it doesn't sound that dated at all. 

16 minutes ago, Toma_BullyWee said:

Got back into Metallica in a big way after not listening to them for a number of years. It still amazes me how the songs hold up almost 40 years later and other than the production, it doesn't sound that dated at all. 

Greatest band alive and ever. The production was good on the old albums but just doesn’t have the oomph of today as it was all recorded in the pre-digital era. I prefer to watch YouTube live gigs as all the old shit sounds fucking ferocious and just better live.

10 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

Greatest band alive and ever. The production was good on the old albums but just doesn’t have the oomph of today as it was all recorded in the pre-digital era. I prefer to watch YouTube live gigs as all the old shit sounds fucking ferocious and just better live.

I watched Seattle 89 a few weeks ago and it was absolutely incredible

1 minute ago, Toma_BullyWee said:

I watched Seattle 89 a few weeks ago and it was absolutely incredible

Just an incredible live band. Was a hugely pleasant surprise how great an album Hardwired turned out to be an all that new stuff sounds fantastic live too. The day covid fucks off and Metallica get back over here the better! 

26 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

Just an incredible live band. Was a hugely pleasant surprise how great an album Hardwired turned out to be an all that new stuff sounds fantastic live too. The day covid fucks off and Metallica get back over here the better! 

I mind giving it a courtesy listen when it came out because the band I was in at the time were doing decent enough with poppy sounding guitars (with Hammet style footery bits for the sheer f**k of it) so didn't want to show up one week demanding *another* 11 minute tune, because I'm like a big daft dug switching between whatever catches my eye at any given moment.

But aye, what I heard was solid and as much as I miss some of the mad stuff they were doing in the 90s it's good to have them booting baws again.

I dug out my guitar after barely playing for years and tried to get back up to speed with the whole 100mph Hetfield rhythm stuff. It felt like my arm was about to pop out the socket at points but I'm glad I persevered and now i have an electric drum kit coming next week so fingers crossed i get to grips with it and can be my own wan man Metallica band. 

Tried like f**k to think of a decent play on words there but cannae get it. 

On 03/08/2020 at 10:01, Mad Capsule said:

New Download line up looking pretty tasty. Worried about if it'll actually go ahead though!FB_IMG_1596444924667.jpeg

Agreed,  the last couple of major festival line ups have been poor IMO but even without that lineup being padded out and before scouting fellow attendees I’d be very likely to commit to that.  It looks fantastic. I’ll be diving in two footed as long as COVID fucks off and we can behave like normal human beings without worrying about killing each other.

Edited by parsforlife

1 hour ago, Toma_BullyWee said:

I mind giving it a courtesy listen when it came out because the band I was in at the time were doing decent enough with poppy sounding guitars (with Hammet style footery bits for the sheer f**k of it) so didn't want to show up one week demanding *another* 11 minute tune, because I'm like a big daft dug switching between whatever catches my eye at any given moment.

But aye, what I heard was solid and as much as I miss some of the mad stuff they were doing in the 90s it's good to have them booting baws again.

I dug out my guitar after barely playing for years and tried to get back up to speed with the whole 100mph Hetfield rhythm stuff. It felt like my arm was about to pop out the socket at points but I'm glad I persevered and now i have an electric drum kit coming next week so fingers crossed i get to grips with it and can be my own wan man Metallica band. 

Tried like f**k to think of a decent play on words there but cannae get it. 

Good job you weren’t attempting any Slayer, SOD or Exodus type-stuff then! Even some Megadeth might make your arm fall off. Not much of a fan of the them but fair fux to Mustaine, he is lightning fast.