The Metalhead thread

Zizou-5

It'll take several weeks and listens to properly unravel Fear Inoculum but a couple of initial observations:

• The  signature Tool sound is all over this thing.
  • Pneuma is an instant classic. Banger.
  • The post-rock "quiet-loud-quiet" approach is very much in play and might not be to everyone's taste. Works for me but it'll bore anyone looking for insta-hooks.
  • Danny Carey is a human octopus.

1 hour ago, George Parr said:

It'll take several weeks and listens to properly unravel Fear Inoculum but a couple of initial observations:

• The  signature Tool sound is all over this thing.
  • Pneuma is an instant classic. Banger.
  • The post-rock "quiet-loud-quiet" approach is very much in play and might not be to everyone's taste. Works for me but it'll bore anyone looking for insta-hooks.
  • Danny Carey is a human octopus.

It was my go to song for the pub jukebox before the Ross County game on Saturday 😄 Got to love modern day jukeboxes that can play almost any song thanks to the internet.

They've announced a US tour for the end of the year.  I really hope we get a UK tour next year.  Its been so long since I was them at the SECC 😭

IMG_0148.thumb.jpg.140a8bf87898b769a713feb388b659e5.jpg a nice wee tour this [emoji102]

Indeed. Power Trip are fucking brilliant. Hopefully get a ticket.

How is the balcony seating at the O2 Academy?  I'm not the biggest fan of the O2 Academy and find the standing area a pain compared to other venues.

Likewise re the academy. Capacity is alright and sound is usually ok but overall and mostly due to the layout, it’s a shite venue tbh.

The balcony booths are good fun. Get to properly soak in the atmosphere without actually being able to go mental.

Can still go mental, just in a smaller more confined area.

The AA-side is slightly less all-out 'groovy hokey cringey, man' but it does sound like a decent tune as performed by mid-80s Damned with Dave Vanian replaced by Jon Anderson of Yes until the vocals improve during the hooky chorus which (like most of their good hooks) sounds like it has been lifted straight from Interpol. Can't fault the name of the EP though.

Most of their stuff is a bit MOR though with lashings and lashings of style over substance.

16 hours ago, Warren Mears said:

I really like Mary on the Cross but hate the other one, which is weird for two songs that are stylistically the same.

The two songs are not the same at all. Maybe that's why you you differentiate.

One could absolutely be a 60s song and the other is nothing like that, no matter if that is what it is supposed to be.

They have maybe tried to do that but Mary sounds like 80s Damned or late 70s prog-pop. Kiss the Goat has a definite 60s kitsch.

Totally different vibes. Totally different.

I love them both. Big fan of how they unapologetically go into self-parody in response to the persistent ‘just a Blue Oyster Cult rip-off’ internet criticism, and they’re the first songs since the first album which could go on that album and not feel out of place, which is great because it’s still my favourite.

Similarly, people complained there wasn’t enough Satan in Prequelle; here we go, straight in with a wildly over the top chorus about Satan on the next release.

I’d expect to see the Kiss the Go-Goat in the set for the upcoming tour, they launched Square Hammer right in as the opener after Popestar.