The Metalhead thread

Zizou-5

Read that yesterday. What a strange situation. As per the usual ‘trial by internet’ speculation crowd are out in force claiming he was either on meth or had some mental breakdown. CC had just been announced to support Slayer on their North American tour so christ knows what will happen now and who knows, Pat might find himself doing a bit of prison time. Met Pat a few times and he seemed such a laid back normal bloke. Had a pint with him after one of their Glasgow gigs during their Evisceration Plague tour and the dudes obsessed with guns so not surprised to read he had a shitload of ammunition in his house and, randomly, flamethrowers haha.

• 4 weeks later...

Next week is going to be good.  Architects and then a couple of days later Mastodon at the O2 Academy.

And it won't be long until Behemoth, At the Gates and Wolves in the Throne Room at the QMU.

I'm meant to be saving my holidays for a honeymoon later in the year, I'm going to have to be creative with how I handle my holidays if 2019 has this consistency of gigs throughout it.

Hoping to get to Decapitated and Dyscarnate in February. Been on a big Dyscarnate binge lately, great Death Metal band with an abundance of groove and riffs that you just can’t help but headbang along to. I remember seeing them in Edinburgh before they released their debut record and they’ve went from strength to strength.

Hoping to get to Decapitated and Dyscarnate in February. Been on a big Dyscarnate binge lately, great Death Metal band with an abundance of groove and riffs that you just can’t help but headbang along to. I remember seeing them in Edinburgh before they released their debut record and they’ve went from strength to strength.

I seen Decapitated supporting Lamb of God about 5 years ago. Not my cuppa tea but a really good live band. I remember the mosh pit looked kind of brutal and think a few folk had burnt themselves out before Lamb of God came on.

• 2 weeks later...

A good weekend of gigs there.  I've ended up buying Aggressive by Beartooth after seeing them support Architects.  Been a while since I've seen a support band get such a positive response from a crowd.  Mastodon were good as well and I thought it was an interesting set they played as it was a really equal spread of songs from their albums,

Anyone heard any decent new albums yet this year?  I'm trying to keep a spreadsheet of new ones I've listened to.  So far the one I've enjoyed the most is a bit predictable as its the new one from Soilwork.

• 2 weeks later...

Enjoyed Decapitated and Dyscarnate last night. Nice to get back to a small intimate gig rather than some big arena. Thank christ I brought ear plugs as it was loud as f**k.

For a 3 piece Dyscarnate sounded brilliant and Decapitated, as expected, were super tight. Was pleasantly surprised by Baest, who I’d never heard of pre gig, good old school sounding Death Metal.

Bit of a sore head this morning ☹️

On 12/02/2019 at 19:20, 8MileBU said:

Disagree. Not metal but saw NOFX supported by The Dancehall Crashers at QMU many moons ago. Good gig and good venue for it.

I've attended several gigs over the years at the QMU, which have been fine, but Monday night was farcical, bordering on a shambles.

Power outages / fire alarms disrupted At the Gates set and spoiled Behemoth's set to the extent that the gig was abandoned mid-way through the encore. A real pity as this was the final night of an 11 week tour. The venue opened late, appeared to be oversold and the entry queues were processed at a snail's pace. The bar ran out of vodka.   

In fairness the QMU have now offered a public apology but this gig just seemed too big for them and I wonder if we're now beginning to see the impact of the ABC-sized gap in the Glasgow gig market.

I've attended several gigs over the years at the QMU, which have been fine, but Monday night was farcical, bordering on a shambles.
Power outages / fire alarms disrupted At the Gates set and spoiled Behemoth's set to the extent that the gig was abandoned mid-way through the encore. A real pity as this was the final night of an 11 week tour. The venue opened late, appeared to be oversold and the entry queues were processed at a snail's pace. The bar ran out of vodka.   
In fairness the QMU have now offered a public apology but this gig just seemed too big for them and I wonder if we're now beginning to see the impact of the ABC-sized gap in the Glasgow gig market.

That does sound a shambles to be fair! [emoji1]

Shite though.

10 hours ago, Raithie said:

Enjoyed Decapitated and Dyscarnate last night. Nice to get back to a small intimate gig rather than some big arena. Thank christ I brought ear plugs as it was loud as f**k.

For a 3 piece Dyscarnate sounded brilliant and Decapitated, as expected, were super tight. Was pleasantly surprised by Baest, who I’d never heard of pre gig, good old school sounding Death Metal.

Bit of a sore head this morning ☹️

Would love to have gone to that gig.  The last Dyscarnate album was really good, as was the Decapitated one.

9 hours ago, George Parr said:

I arrived after WITTR started and the queue didn't see too bad.  I've never seen a gig with so many technical issues as this one though.  All three bands though sounded pretty good and this was my first visit to the QMU. 

I've noticed that SWG3 seem to be picking up gigs that I'd expect the ABC to have picked up.  I'm really gutted that we seem to have now lost the ABC for good, it was my favourite venue in Glasgow after the Barrowlands.  In December I've got tickets for Devin Townsend and Bury Tomorrow booked for SWG3.  Has anyone been to SWQ3 for a gig before and if so what is it like as a venue?