The Metalhead thread

Zizou-5

I've seen them quite a few times and my general feeling on Trivium live has always been 'meh', but they were fucking exceptional tonight. I wouldn't have bothered going if Sikth weren't the support, and in a surprising twist Sikth were totally average, but that was great.

Thought Sikth and Shapes (or Shvpes) were pretty poor, but Trivium were on top form yet again. Not the best I've seen them though, thought the sound was off especially at the start with Corey's mic not working, and his guitar seemed to be too low during the whole gig. Matt was superb though. Spot on with the vocals and those solos were pretty immense sound wise. Also thought the new drummer fit in well.

Edited by IainMorton

Yes.
I've wanted to see Autopsy for years, and Primordial live are magnificent.
Everyone else just adds to a superb looking evening.

I wish some of these bands had more legible logos so I can youtube them and give them a listen to. Can someone translate that line-up for me in a less jaggy, spikey font?! [emoji1]

20 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

I wish some of these bands had more legible logos so I can youtube them and give them a listen to. Can someone translate that line-up for me in a less jaggy, spikey font?! emoji1.png

Autopsy, Mayhem, Primordial, Marduk, Venom Inc, Dragged Into Sunlight, Acid Reign, Memoriam, Rotten Sound.

Just typing that lot out is making me moisten at the tip!

On 21/02/2017 at 09:09, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Is that Venom anything to do with NWOBHM Venom?

On 21/02/2017 at 09:21, Ranaldo Bairn said:

I think they're "Venom" minus Cronos.

Venom Inc.

It's Mantas and Abaddon from the classic lineup with Tony "Demolition Man" Dolan on bass & vocals who was part of Venom when Cronos initially left for a solo career in the late 80s. The Prime Evil record they did was excellent.

The other "Venom" is basically just Cronos and a couple of other lads. Whilst they're decent musicians and it's obviously his voice on those tunes, they don't sound like Venom.
Suppose it's kinda like how GN'R toured for as many years with just Axl and a revolving door of musicians. Whilst it may not have sounded bad as such, it didn't sound like Guns.

Want to weigh-in with the Maiden/Metallica/Priest discussion.

Iron Maiden

The Book of Souls took me a while to get properly into but has, I would say..6 absolutely fantastic tracks (eternity, speed of light, red & black, river runs deep, book of souls and tears of a clown). Empire is far too f*cking long though. Absolutely loved The Final Frontier, start to finish. The blaze albums, no prayer and fotd are definitely the weakest albums.

Metallica

Hardwired was a major disappointment for me, a lot of people love it but it's just not for me. There's nothing on it that really excites me, I havn't listened to it since it first came out. Testamen't s new album was far, far better. That said, Metallica are f*cking amazing and always will be and i'll definitely be going to see them when they tour the UK (hopefully with Volbeat pleeeease).

Judas Priest

Did anyone actually listen to Redeemer of Souls? It was f*cking BRILLIANT. Nostradamus was gash and Angel of Retribution wasn't very good either. They were absolutely amazing when they played in the Barrowlands recently... much, much better than the SECC shows in recent years

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone else at Devin Townsend last night?  A great set as always and I loved the chance to see him play the Barrowlands.  Hopefully he didn't get into any trouble for going slightly over the 11pm curfew due to the technical issues in the middle of the set.

Lords of the Land is the next big one for me and a third trip already this year to the Barrowlands.

11 hours ago, NorthernLights said:

Anyone else at Devin Townsend last night?  A great set as always and I loved the chance to see him play the Barrowlands.  Hopefully he didn't get into any trouble for going slightly over the 11pm curfew due to the technical issues in the middle of the set.

Lords of the Land is the next big one for me and a third trip already this year to the Barrowlands.

Admittedly not at the Barrowlands, but I have seen venues kill the power the the stage if they feel the bands are taking the rip with curfew times, so I assume Devin is in the clear.

I thought it was an enjoyable gig overall. I've never been able to get into Leprous and the live setting did nothing to change that for me. Tesseract were great as always and they're certainly improving as a live band all the time. I like the addition of the ambient interludes between songs, it's certainly better than tuning noises and "Is everyone feeling good?" tired old patter. The exclusion of Acceptance from the set was disappointing, but it would mean two other songs getting cut so I can live with it.

I thought Devin's set was a good mix of old and new. I thought it strange he didn't play Truth considering he's reworked it for the new album. I'm definitely in a minority with this opinion, but I can't stand Devin's high school / Family Guy style patter and it detracts from the show every time for me. I get that the character of Devin Townsend is a big draw for some people, but I'd rather have another song or two instead of penis jokes. And my favourite Devin tracks never seem to make the setlist. In four viewings I've seen him play Seventh Wave and Grace once each. That sounds pretty negative, but it was a good show and I'll doubtless go see him again next time he comes around.

3 hours ago, IainMorton said:

Metallica playing Glasgow. 26th October.

Thinking of trying to get tickets for Manchester on the 28th as it is a Saturday and means I won't have to use up any holidays from work to go.  I wasn't too surprised by the ticket prices as the likes of Muse and Black Sabbath at The Hydro means I seem to be becoming immune to the shock of expensive tickets for gigs like this.

Thinking of trying to get tickets for Manchester on the 28th as it is a Saturday and means I won't have to use up any holidays from work to go.  I wasn't too surprised by the ticket prices as the likes of Muse and Black Sabbath at The Hydro means I seem to be becoming immune to the shock of expensive tickets for gigs like this.

Where are you seeing the ticket prices? Are they £96 each as quoted on the Gigs thread?