The Metalhead thread

Zizou-5

Turns out Mrs Ned has got me Sabbath tickets as part of my Christmas ... wasn't that fussed but looking forward to it now that I'm going, seen Ozzy a few times but never Sabbath.

Anyone know what can I expect from Gold Standing ?

You'll be right at the front.

I would advise getting there in time for the support Rival Sons as they are bloody brilliant.

There's a few absolute bangers on the new Metallica record that will sound sensational live. Spit out the Bone is possibly the best thing they've written since the Justice sessions.

They could have done better with the track ordering. Having 4 weaker tracks clustered together in the 2nd half disrupts the rhythm. I'd have been inclined to drop Am I Savage and Murder One altogether.

I struggle to be objective with Metallica but this is a very solid effort to my ears and is probably my favourite release of theirs since the Black Album.

Hydro next year I expect...

Edited by Consolidate

There's a few absolute bangers on the new Metallica record that will sound sensational live. Spit out the Bone is possibly the best thing they've written since the Justice sessions.

They could have done better with the track ordering. Having 4 weaker tracks clustered together in the 2nd half disrupts the rhythm. I'd have been inclined to drop Am I Savage and Murder One altogether.

I struggle to be objective with Metallica but this is a very solid effort to my ears and is probably my favourite release of theirs since the Black Album.

Hydro next year I expect...

Very much agree with this. I've listened to it a few times through on the commute this week and I genuinely really like it. I'd also have done away with Am I savage and maybe Murder One though - both have decent main riffs but are tracks I've started to skip.

Theres definitely a big hint of Load/Reload on this new album which I'm really pleased about as they both, especially the former, contain some of Metallicas best work, despite not being tr00 metalz or whatever.

My biggest complaint about this album however is Kirk Hammetts contribution, or lack of it. He supposedly lost a phone containing over 250 riffs, but he said that left him to concentrate on his solos - which is bizarre as it feels like almost every solo on this album could be interchanged between songs and no-one would notice. They all feel like sloppy pentatonic messes with far too much wah pedal. What makes Hammett one of the greats isn't his actual technical skill (or lack of it) but his ability to write solos so good that you couldn't imagine the songs with anything else.

Moving on, it's also great to hear a proper Metallica album that isn't actually painful to listen to. Death Magnetic had some good stuff but the production was so poor it makes it unbearable at loud volumes.

I'd give this new album an 8/10 but it could have been higher had they trimmed some of the fat and if Hammett had his finger out.

I still think the production is fucking terrible. The drum sounds and the guitar tones are just harsh and trebley (and i don't mean in that scooped way they used to be), and the drums are just faaaarrrrr too loud and prominent. It's borderline sore on the ears to listen to through headphones unless you turn it down a bit (not nearly as sore as Death Magnetic, but that's for different reasons obviously), and that combined with a lot of the songs being longer for the sake of it has meant that whilst there's a lot of good stuff...It's been a rare occurrence that I've listened to any of the tracks all the way through in one go.

That being said, there IS a lot of good stuff there. Spit Out The Bone is a phenomenal song, and the main riff is one of the best I've heard from any band in years...it's absolutely brilliant.

Am i the only one that has equaliser options and turn the but where drums are down compared to anything else?
After st anger any modern metallica song gets that treatment.

Haha, strangely AJFA is my favourite Metallica album by quite a distance, and part of the reason for that is the way it sounds. Im not against "different" sounding production, it just has to work with the material and in the case of AJFA it just does. Not sure if you'll have heard it but theres a boy on Youtube who's been doing the new songs with Justice tones, and they are wayyyyyy better!!

I think me and my mate made the mistake at the weekend of listening to the new album via the music videos. Some of the videos were a bit 'weird' to the point where we were losing focus on the music, that and we'd had several pints during it as well. Probably give the album another listen soon though. The bulk of the album was good with a few fillers in there though. Some of the better tunes were the 3 they had released a while back (title track, Moth, Atlas). Really enjoyed the Lemmy tribute song (going by the video anyway) and Spit Out The Bone was tremendous.

Not metal, but f*ck yees.

KISS are playing the Hydro in May next year. 27th of May to be exact. :thumsup2

Definitely going - will be my 4th time seeing them. Last time at the SECC they were phenominal, not so much at Download admittedly...

Edited by Mik

Class, bout time they played. Last time round i skipped Uni to get tickets, 9am on the button sold out. Had to wait for seated tickets and got given 2 as far away from stage as human possible. Didn't take away from the show, fantastic production. Gene can still sing but Paul is struggling now

Anthrax tickets arrived yesterday :thumsup2

Have they done an Among The Living rerelease to tie in with the tour?

Also been listening to Book of Souls in advance of the Maiden gig. I'm liking it quite a bit.