E-Chat Quick Question Thread

forehead7

Just a wee add on to this - I got Sky BB installed last Tuesday, and on the first day my speed jumped from the abysmal 0.74 Mbps I was getting with Orange, to............................................ 1.42 Mbps mad.gif.

Since last Tuesday it's went down to 0.91, and it seems pretty constant at that. All the documents I got from Sky said that over the first ten days they would start low, then increase the speed until day 10. This doesn't seem to be happening.

Anyone any idea how I can check and see if there's something wrong?

Same happened to me. You can phone up and ask them to re-analyse the line, but not until after the first 10 days (I think). I did that, but it didnt make any difference.

I did regular speed tests and kept a note of the results. I also logged what the modem was syncing at when I did the tests (you can get that info by logging into the router web page) Mine did change a little bit over the first few days, but not significantly.

As we've just moved into a new house, Ive no idea what speeds I could get with other providers to compare it with, so Ive just stuck with Sky.

Go to somewhere like samknows.org and do a line check there. That will tell you how far away you are from the local exchange and the max speed you, theoretically, can get. If you were getting 0.7 with orange and only 1.4 with Sky, you might find the distance to the exchange from your house means you wont get anything faster without going to fibre, or BTs new package - if either are available in your area

Thats certainly the case for me

Same happened to me. You can phone up and ask them to re-analyse the line, but not until after the first 10 days (I think). I did that, but it didnt make any difference.

I did regular speed tests and kept a note of the results. I also logged what the modem was syncing at when I did the tests (you can get that info by logging into the router web page) Mine did change a little bit over the first few days, but not significantly.

As we've just moved into a new house, Ive no idea what speeds I could get with other providers to compare it with, so Ive just stuck with Sky.

Go to somewhere like samknows.org and do a line check there. That will tell you how far away you are from the local exchange and the max speed you, theoretically, can get. If you were getting 0.7 with orange and only 1.4 with Sky, you might find the distance to the exchange from your house means you wont get anything faster without going to fibre, or BTs new package - if either are available in your area

Thats certainly the case for me

Cheers for this X.

I'm definitely going to phone them tomorrow, but I have my doubts as to what they can do.

I have to say though, and I say this with zero technical know how at all - but I can't help thinking there must be something wrong with the line. I've been on Sppedtest.net every day since we got the Sky BB installed, and just yesterday I noticed that I could check previous tests; it transpires that back in August last year there were occasions when I was receiving over 5Mbps. It tumbled down to under 1 Mbps in September, and hasn't been above 1 until the first day with Sky last week. I do vividly remember it being far faster than what I'm receiving now, and I also remember phoning Orange on various occasions and getting short shrift.

I've read a few things online about line noise, attenuation (sp) etc, but I've no idea how to check these and whether or not they'd be a factor.

When you order broadband now, you're supposed to be quoted your estimated line speed, and your minimum expected line speed. It's part of the new Ofcom (I think, might be Ofnet or some shit) regulations. Basically what it means in general is that if you're ever getting less than the minimum you were quoted you can cancel your broadband regardless of contract lengths.

In your case, it means that there should be line test results from when you switched to Sky, and even if there isn't, they can run a test and find out what sort of speeds you should be getting.

Cheers for this X.

I'm definitely going to phone them tomorrow, but I have my doubts as to what they can do.

I have to say though, and I say this with zero technical know how at all - but I can't help thinking there must be something wrong with the line. I've been on Sppedtest.net every day since we got the Sky BB installed, and just yesterday I noticed that I could check previous tests; it transpires that back in August last year there were occasions when I was receiving over 5Mbps. It tumbled down to under 1 Mbps in September, and hasn't been above 1 until the first day with Sky last week. I do vividly remember it being far faster than what I'm receiving now, and I also remember phoning Orange on various occasions and getting short shrift.

I've read a few things online about line noise, attenuation (sp) etc, but I've no idea how to check these and whether or not they'd be a factor.

You can check noise etc by logging into the router admin page - http://192.168.0.1 for sky. They will defintely make a difference, as they are affected by how far away you are from the exchange, physical line quality etc etc. Although, it wont be obvious which are good and which are bad, you might need to do a bit more reading up once youve checked.

The other thing that can affect speed is contention ie how many other people you are sharing the capacity with. The only way to test this - and it isnt particularly scientific - is to do speed test at different times of day and, if possible, at odd times when theres likely to be less people online. If the speeds are fairly static then the issue is your line. If they vary a lot, then you're slow speeds could be down to others using the service

When you order broadband now, you're supposed to be quoted your estimated line speed, and your minimum expected line speed. It's part of the new Ofcom (I think, might be Ofnet or some shit) regulations. Basically what it means in general is that if you're ever getting less than the minimum you were quoted you can cancel your broadband regardless of contract lengths.

In your case, it means that there should be line test results from when you switched to Sky, and even if there isn't, they can run a test and find out what sort of speeds you should be getting.

I think I was quoted between 2Mb and 8Mb when I signed up, which isnt exactly helpful. Im getting around 1.5Mb, so I suppose I could technically question it against my contract. However, given the line noise and attenuation on the line, I dont think Id get any faster with anyone else (no-one provides cable down here and I dont think BT have rolled out their super highway here yet either)

Yes, but you have to root your phone to use them (I think)

Sure I used appkiller for a while and positive it killed things like Google maps etc. Took it off in the end tho, more hassle than it was worth.

I have heard of this before but don't have a clue how to do it? Also will it mess my phone up if I do this? Thanks. :D

It wont mess up your phone, but if you havent a clue what you're doing, its probably better not to. Do a search on google and have a read, you might find its not as difficult as you think - the process can vary phone by phone.

Sure I used appkiller for a while and positive it killed things like Google maps etc. Took it off in the end tho, more hassle than it was worth.

IIRC, app killers will kill the apps that automaticall start up, but you'd have to do it each time you start the phone, unless youre rooted. There are other apps out there that will let you delete preinstalled apps completely, but Im pretty sure youd have to have root to do that.

IIRC, app killers will kill the apps that automaticall start up, but you'd have to do it each time you start the phone, unless youre rooted. There are other apps out there that will let you delete preinstalled apps completely, but Im pretty sure youd have to have root to do that.

True but with smatphones who actually turns them off ? The alarm on my HTC only works if on so probably at least 6 months since its been off (battery died).

True but with smatphones who actually turns them off ? The alarm on my HTC only works if on so probably at least 6 months since its been off (battery died).

It's the ones that came preinstalled on the phone that I want to get rid of,as when I try and download new apps I always get the memory low prompt. That's after I went and bought another memory card.

It's the ones that came preinstalled on the phone that I want to get rid of,as when I try and download new apps I always get the memory low prompt. That's after I went and bought another memory card.

As far as I know you would be only able to kill the processes not get rid of them unless as Mr X said you root it.

Some of the pre-installed apps that came on your phone can only be removed once your phone has been rooted this is to ensure you don't delete stuff that iis necessary to the running of the phone. If you are on android 2.2 and above you can save apps to your sd card but have to change settings or transfer exisiting ones manually because at the moment your apps are all being saved on the phones internal memory and buying a higher capacity SD card won't make any difference.

Neither my laptop nor my PS3 can connect properly to wireless network.

The network shows up fine and the signal strength is excellent, but I get "local only" access on laptop and PS3 doesn't connect to network.

Have tried the classics of unplugging and resetting the router, but once the network reboots itself the same thing happens again.

I don't have an ethernet cable with me to check if it's working when hardwired, and I don't want to hassle my landlady if possible. Any suggestions? It's been working fine since I moved in a month ago until yesterday.

It's Sky broadband if that helps any.

Neither my laptop nor my PS3 can connect properly to wireless network.

The network shows up fine and the signal strength is excellent, but I get "local only" access on laptop and PS3 doesn't connect to network.

Have tried the classics of unplugging and resetting the router, but once the network reboots itself the same thing happens again.

I don't have an ethernet cable with me to check if it's working when hardwired, and I don't want to hassle my landlady if possible. Any suggestions? It's been working fine since I moved in a month ago until yesterday.

It's Sky broadband if that helps any.

Norton ??? by any chance???

Graham? Ken?

Nope, no anti-virus issues. Got to be something to do with the router I think, but don't know what. The PS3 is a good one as it should connect automatically as well.

Sorry, without ethernet cable i'm out of things to try :( , I 'believe' Sky routers use WPA encryption which might have been problematic, but if its worked for a month......