E-Chat Quick Question Thread

forehead7

Yes it should make a considerable difference. LLU means that the internet provider has gone into the exchange and put their own equipment into the exchange. If a provider doesn't have LLU they only hire the use from BT and sublet it to you. As BT are more likely to limit other providers using their equipment.

Sky LLU services are meant to be extremely good. I had Sky Connect and it was a terrible service.

I know you said high street, but Amazon or Play do really cheap ones. I've bought this one twice, my link, first one lasted probably about two years and I had to replace it a month or so ago. I haven't looked in many electrical stores, but I recall being in Tesco and they were looking for something ridiculous (20 or 30 quid) for it. I knew about them being cheaper online but didn't want to wait for it. I was not that desperate though!

I guess you'd just need to look in places like Currys, Argos etc if you wanted to buy it. I'm sure you. If you wanted really quickly then go to Amazon and pick one that doesn't express delivery or something.

I know you said high street, but Amazon or Play do really cheap ones. I've bought this one twice, my link, first one lasted probably about two years and I had to replace it a month or so ago. I haven't looked in many electrical stores, but I recall being in Tesco and they were looking for something ridiculous (20 or 30 quid) for it. I knew about them being cheaper online but didn't want to wait for it. I was not that desperate though!

I guess you'd just need to look in places like Currys, Argos etc if you wanted to buy it. I'm sure you. If you wanted really quickly then go to Amazon and pick one that doesn't express delivery or something.

If it's that much of a difference I'll just get it online and express delivery, was hoping there'd be somewhere selling them for a tenner or less now.

If it's that much of a difference I'll just get it online and express delivery, was hoping there'd be somewhere selling them for a tenner or less now.

AmazonBasics HDMI Ethernet Cable - This is the HDMI cable I use for Virgin TV, Blu Ray Player and Xbox 360. Never had a problem with it and they are cheap.

I'm getting an iPhone for free (girlfriend is getting an upgrade) and I'm going to keep my O2 Pay As You Go sim card. I was looking at the Text and Web tariff and it says:

300 free UK texts and 500MB UK web and Wi-Fi

Does this mean that my 500MB also includes my WiFi usage?

I'm getting an iPhone for free (girlfriend is getting an upgrade) and I'm going to keep my O2 Pay As You Go sim card. I was looking at the Text and Web tariff and it says:

Does this mean that my 500MB also includes my WiFi usage?

No mate.. Thats just the mobile data usage.. Though it could include certain bt wifi hotspots as well.. But not any free wifi or the one in your house

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at a tablet that has a "usb slave 2.0", what is that? Is it just a regular USB drive and I can plus things into it(mainly looking for a usb to plug a keyboard or external hard drive in)?

It's for the poor USBs that sadly havn't been liberated yet. Come the revolution.

But my understanding of a USB slave is that it links the device to a PC (PC becoming the master and the device the slave). ie. The Tablet would act as a USB hard drive to the computer. I'm also sure that the slave USB port is smaller or bigger than an ordinary USB port. So to answer your question...no I don't think you can plug things into a USB slave port to plug in external hardware. It's a USB Host port you need.

I've been wrong before*

It's for the poor USBs that sadly havn't been liberated yet. Come the revolution.

But my understanding of a USB slave is that it links the device to a PC (PC becoming the master and the device the slave). ie. The Tablet would act as a USB hard drive to the computer. I'm also sure that the slave USB port is smaller or bigger than an ordinary USB port. So to answer your question...no I don't think you can plug things into a USB slave port to plug in external hardware. It's a USB Host port you need.

I've been wrong before*

USB hosting is called USB On-The-Go (OTG). If it says that on a spec sheet then the device is capable of using USB devices such as keyboards. Not sure how many devices actually do it though, off the top of my head

Nokia N8

Samsung Galaxy SII

Samsung Galaxy Tab

HP Touchpad

If anyone knows more phones/tablets then feel free to add them

I'm moving ISP's later this month (Orange to Sky, for money saving purposes), and the speeds that Sky have said I should get are way better than what I've been getting with Orange.

I notice from SamKnows, that my Sky is one of the LLU services at my local exchange. Should this make a difference to my speeds?

Yes it should make a considerable difference. LLU means that the internet provider has gone into the exchange and put their own equipment into the exchange. If a provider doesn't have LLU they only hire the use from BT and sublet it to you. As BT are more likely to limit other providers using their equipment.

Sky LLU services are meant to be extremely good. I had Sky Connect and it was a terrible service.

Just a wee add on to this - I got Sky BB installed last Tuesday, and on the first day my speed jumped from the abysmal 0.74 Mbps I was getting with Orange, to............................................ 1.42 Mbps mad.gif.

Since last Tuesday it's went down to 0.91, and it seems pretty constant at that. All the documents I got from Sky said that over the first ten days they would start low, then increase the speed until day 10. This doesn't seem to be happening.

Anyone any idea how I can check and see if there's something wrong?