E-Chat Quick Question Thread

forehead7

Oh I wasn't going to, I went into a computer place today and the guy mumbled something about how they couldn't fix it as it would be connected to the motherboard. Not willing to argue the point when I have zilch knowledge about computers but I did sense he might have been fobbing me off because his English was limited.

So it can possibly be repaired without a return?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003S3R7RU/ref=s9_simh_gw_p147_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1WZQJG5HKQVS56AWB11D&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128533&pf_rd_i=468294

Anybody know if this is a decent laptop? I don't know a great deal about laptops (or computers in general). My wife was thinking about getting one to help with studies she is about to undertake and I would like to know whether the processor/whatever is good enough to play Fitba Manager and other strategy games.

Would greatly appreciate anyone's advice/comments.

Oh I wasn't going to, I went into a computer place today and the guy mumbled something about how they couldn't fix it as it would be connected to the motherboard. Not willing to argue the point when I have zilch knowledge about computers but I did sense he might have been fobbing me off because his English was limited.

His command of the English language may well have been dodgy, but he is correct in that your laptop will need a new motherboard. Not impossible for a decent repair shop to do, but obviously he just couldn't be arsed because replacing a laptop motherboard is a bit of a pain.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003S3R7RU/ref=s9_simh_gw_p147_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1WZQJG5HKQVS56AWB11D&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128533&pf_rd_i=468294

Anybody know if this is a decent laptop? I don't know a great deal about laptops (or computers in general). My wife was thinking about getting one to help with studies she is about to undertake and I would like to know whether the processor/whatever is good enough to play Fitba Manager and other strategy games.

Looks OK I guess - I'm personally not a fan of the Pentium series of CPU's but I guess it'll do the job to a point. You might get away with FM on it but you can probably forget about playing any graphics intensive games.

http://www.amazon.co...&pf_rd_i=468294

I had this one for just under a year and it's a decent laptop, but weighs a ton.

So I ended up selling it to my sister and buying a thinner, lighter model.

Not sure as I don't have your phone, but when you go to the page press the options/menu button and see if their is 'column view'. That should fix it.

I clicked on something else and cleared the info. Logged in again and bingo, it worked. biggrin.gif

Have a dot of the positive variety smile.gif

Looks OK I guess - I'm personally not a fan of the Pentium series of CPU's but I guess it'll do the job to a point. You might get away with FM on it but you can probably forget about playing any graphics intensive games.

Out of interest, what kind of processor and/or graphics card should I be looking for, which would allow me to play FM and other strategy type games?

If you're out of warranty and willing to give a screwdriver a go then download the service manual for your model (Acers are normally pretty easy to find) and take your time. It should just be a case of getting the keyboard assembly off and then pushing the sockets back into place.

Out of interest, what kind of processor and/or graphics card should I be looking for, which would allow me to play FM and other strategy type games?

To be honest if it's games you want to play, you're better with a desktop. The amount of money you'd need to part with to have a laptop capable of playing graphics intensive games is ridiculous.

To be honest if it's games you want to play, you're better with a desktop. The amount of money you'd need to part with to have a laptop capable of playing graphics intensive games is ridiculous.

Cheers dude, will have a good look round to see what best meets our needs

When sitting idle my wee mouse cursor shows the blue swirly thing at uniform periods as if it's running something every 5 seconds or so. It will swirl for a second then be normal then repeat it again every 5 seconds.

What does this mean?

When sitting idle my wee mouse cursor shows the blue swirly thing at uniform periods as if it's running something every 5 seconds or so. It will swirl for a second then be normal then repeat it again every 5 seconds.

What does this mean?

It means there's I/O activity. It could be anything from scanning for viruses to defragmenting the disk to indexing your files to make searches quicker to sending all your passwords to some Russian gangsters. No way of knowing without more details.

How do I find out how much memory I'm using on my HTC Wildfire?

There is an app called file manager, it's quite easy to use and tells you all that. There is also an option under setttings, go to SD card and phone storage and it should tell you there.

I'm needing to get Microsoft office and I know that student discounts are avaialble so when I plugged it into google it came up with This and This . The professional plus one seems to have more in it for a cheaper price, is there something I'm missing or is it just a good deal? :huh:

I'm needing to get Microsoft office and I know that student discounts are avaialble so when I plugged it into google it came up with This and This . The professional plus one seems to have more in it for a cheaper price, is there something I'm missing or is it just a good deal? :huh:

Anyone? :unsure:

Anyone? :unsure:

The only official student deal on MS Office 2010 is the Professional Academic version. I'd be wary of anyone else offering something different.