E-Chat Quick Question Thread

forehead7

Not to be That Guy Who Doesn't Answer The Question, but do you desperately need Microsoft Office? OpenOffice does a good enough job for pretty much anything except heavy use of tables or spreadsheet programming, and doesn't cost anything.

This is for any HTC Wildfire owners: when I put my Wildfire on charge it will let out this extremely high pitched shrilling noise, it gets louder and louder the longer it's on charge. Has anyone else experianced this and if so is there any way to stop it?

This is for any HTC Wildfire owners: when I put my Wildfire on charge it will let out this extremely high pitched shrilling noise, it gets louder and louder the longer it's on charge. Has anyone else experianced this and if so is there any way to stop it?

Had a quick google and on the android forum to see if anyone had this problem, i've not seen anything at all so...unfortunately it sounds like it's fucked mate, take it back.

Had a quick google and on the android forum to see if anyone had this problem, i've not seen anything at all so...unfortunately it sounds like it's fucked mate, take it back.

I've tried it a few more times and it's actually the charger making the noise, thanks anyway though.

My laptop screen (compaq presario) has went very, very dark. Nowhere near bright enough to use, I can only make out a few letters here and there.

Is it buggered or can I somehow mess about with it to get it going again? Also, can you use an external monitor for a laptop? ie seeing what should be on the screen somewhere else?

My laptop screen (compaq presario) has went very, very dark. Nowhere near bright enough to use, I can only make out a few letters here and there.

Is it buggered or can I somehow mess about with it to get it going again? Also, can you use an external monitor for a laptop? ie seeing what should be on the screen somewhere else?

Check the obvious though like brightness settings, but I would take a pop at the inverter inside the screen has gone.

By all means try and external monitor that will prove its your screen.

Firstly, i'm not the most technical guy with computers.

Now my problem is that my Sky Broadband internet connection has significantly slown down since yesterday and it's even cut off at times today. My download rate is awful as well as it's taking several minutes to download a small file. Futhermore i now can't watch videos on youtube which is strange as i've not experienced any problems until today, the videos take ages to load and when they do start, they cut out after two seconds.

I've looked online and downloaded some different security software to see if i have a virus, yet they've picked up no problems.

Can anyone help? :unsure:

Edited by Parscelona

Now my problem is that my Sky Broadband internet connection has significantly slown down since yesterday and it's even cut off at times today. My download rate is awful as well as it's taking several minutes to download a small file. Futhermore i now can't watch videos on youtube which is strange as i've not experienced any problems until today, the videos take ages to load and when they do start, they cut out after two seconds.

I've looked online and downloaded some different security software to see if i have a virus, yet they've picked up no problems.

When my internet gets slow, I reset the router. I don't think it's ever been as bad as you described though so it might be something that reseting can't fix.

Go to the Speedtest website and run a speed test. If you can, do it over a few days, ideally at different times of day and see if its consistently slow.

Are you using wifi? If so, is there anything that could be interfering with the signal. Can you see any other wireless networks around?

Oh, and try restarting your router too ;)

Having done ISP technical support, you've been pointed in the right direction. First check it's nothing internal (i.e you daughter downloading movies, next door leeching your wireless). Then check the line if it's DSL (move the router to the master socket). If you're still getting problems, phone them and get BT to check the line. Be aware that in this weather you'll be lucky if it's done by March.

Firstly, cheers for the responses. :)

I am using a Wi-Fi connection in my home as my dad has a netbook.

I’ve Tried

- Security scans yet they found no problems

- Reinstalled Adobe Flash Player to try and fix the youtube issue although i had no success

- Reinstalled Firefox yet didn’t make a difference

- Reset my router but there was no change

- Carried out speed tests as suggested by Mr X, funnily enough I found a saved image of a test I carried out in October and compared the results to my latest test,

October 9th 2010

October9th2010TestResults.png

December 4th 2010

December4th2010.png

Clearly something has gone wrong, is it possible that the weather conditions are affecting my internet performance, as this only started affecting me yesterday?

Also i have no idea how to go about finding out whether my neighbours are using my internet. :mellow:

Edit: Tried out some more tests today and the internet is working faster, maybe it was the weather. ^_^

Edited by Parscelona

I’ve Tried

- Reinstalled Adobe Flash Player to try and fix the youtube issue although i had no success

- Carried out speed tests as suggested by Mr X, funnily enough I found a saved image of a test I carried out in October and compared the results to my latest test,

October 9th 2010

December 4th 2010

December4th2010.png

Clearly something has gone wrong, is it possible that the weather conditions are affecting my internet performance, as this only started affecting me yesterday?

Also i have no idea how to go about finding out whether my neighbours are using my internet. :mellow:

Edit: Tried out some more tests today and the internet is working faster, maybe it was the weather. ^_^

Back when it was really windy my internet seemed to be failing more than usual so it might be.

I’ve Tried

October 9th 2010

December 4th 2010

December4th2010.png

What type of router do you have? If we knew that we could tell you how to get your router stats. This often provides clues in situations like this.

Right so a few days ago my Orange Wireless router keeps on turning itself off around every 10 minutes and needs manually restarted while my internet has also been going very slowly since the problem started.Anyone know how I can solve this?