E-Chat Quick Question Thread

forehead7

I thought there was already a thread on this but I had a look and couldn't see it.

My question is, if I buy a domain name (forehead.eu is available for £2.99 for the year), are there plenty of programs on the net which would help me program it and shit?

If you pay a couple quid more then you can get a professional web editor, not sure if it's a couple quid more a year or just a one off payment.

I'd need to look into it but I reckon having a website would be pretty cool. I'd obviously need to look into any fine print first.

Just looking for any nifty tips from anyone who's done it before.

This is the kind of post which gets website designers really pissy, because it looks like any fule can do their job. Personally I used iWeb to build a site and the 1-2-3reg.co.uk or somesuch entity to host it for a couple of quid a year. Frankly it's quite easy, just drag and drop stuff. You might want to look at Dream Weaver, the aforementioned iWeb or Rapid Weaver. However this is merely what I did, there may well be far better advice out there.

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to connect my HTC Legend to my Laptop via wifi so I can browse the internet on my phone? If this is possible can anyone tell me how I would go about setting this connection up?

Which way round do you mean?

Do you mean (1) using your phones data connection to browse the internet on the laptop, or (2) use your laptops internet connection to browse the internet on your phone?

(2) should be easy enough, just set up internet sharing (or whatever its called these days) in windows.

(1) depends on which version of Android you have and whether or not your mobile company has locked it.

Go to "Settings > Wireless & Networks > Tethering & Portable Hotspots" - if you dont have this then you cant do it

Once in there, go to "Portable Wifi hotspot settings > Configure wifi hotspot", put in a name for the SSID (anything you like), pick "WPA2 PSK" for security and enter a password (if youre bothered about securing it)

Then switch it on.

You should then be able to see the wireless network on your laptop

Which way round do you mean?

Do you mean (1) using your phones data connection to browse the internet on the laptop, or (2) use your laptops internet connection to browse the internet on your phone?

(2) should be easy enough, just set up internet sharing (or whatever its called these days) in windows.

(1) depends on which version of Android you have and whether or not your mobile company has locked it.

Go to "Settings > Wireless & Networks > Tethering & Portable Hotspots" - if you dont have this then you cant do it

Once in there, go to "Portable Wifi hotspot settings > Configure wifi hotspot", put in a name for the SSID (anything you like), pick "WPA2 PSK" for security and enter a password (if youre bothered about securing it)

Then switch it on.

You should then be able to see the wireless network on your laptop

I meant (2).

Hmm, would you be able to give a brief walkthrough of how to set up this internet sharing? I'm not good with stuff like that on computers...

p.s, I don't have a router, I get my internet via cable if that makes a difference.

I meant (2).

Hmm, would you be able to give a brief walkthrough of how to set up this internet sharing? I'm not good with stuff like that on computers...

p.s, I don't have a router, I get my internet via cable if that makes a difference.

I dont think Ive ever actually actually done it before!

A google search for internet sharing and whatever version of windows you have should get you a guide

Another problem on the HTC Chacha :lol:.

My phone usually comes up with the low storage message, so I need to go in and delete my internet history, facebook data etc. My mate was on it looking at it and the message came up, he asked what to do and I said just clear the data on the one with the highest data, so he done that. He deleted the contacts storage. It was easy enough to get most of my numbers back because of the link with Facebook, but from now on whenever I try to save a different number, ie one not from facebook, it doesnt have it and just doesnt save. Any help :(?

Rechargeable batteries, talk to me.

I have this and I would like some new batteries for it. Will any old batteries do assuming they are of the same calibre (not sure if that is the right phrase), i.e. 2300mAh NiMH or do I have to stick with UniRoss?

Uniross make both NiMH + Nicad , you dont need to stick to that brand, I would get the NiMH as they have a longer lifespan regarding number of recharges. (unless the batteries are for something like a remote control then NiCad be fine).

The 2300maH is the amount of charge each battery can hold in milliamp hours, the larger the number the longer between recharges.

I meant (2).

I had this problem. Simply put Android does not support Ad-Hoc networks out the box. Now if you have a Windows 7 laptop you are in luck as you can use one of these programs here. Connectify is meant to be the best but I've read good reviews about Virtual Router too. I don't have a Win7 machine so I had to root my phone, install Android Debug Bridge and then replace the WPA Supplicant file with the one listed here in Endor43 post. It is quite a complex process and not for the technologically impaired.

Uniross make both NiMH + Nicad , you dont need to stick to that brand, I would get the NiMH as they have a longer lifespan regarding number of recharges. (unless the batteries are for something like a remote control then NiCad be fine).

The 2300maH is the amount of charge each battery can hold in milliamp hours, the larger the number the longer between recharges.

Cheers. It'll be for things like my X-Box controllers, wireless mouse or tv remote.

I have Uniross 2800Mah batteries out of Maplin for my Xbox. Really long life between charges. I have 2 sets, once one runs out I change them and charge the old ones.

I'll look into it over the weekend. I only have one set and want a second for the same reason as you. Cheers.

Sky Go: is it possible to get this without being a Sky TV customer? I know you get it for free if you have Sky TV, but I see they have monthly tickets available, and I was hoping to try it if it was possible. We do have Sky in the house, but it's the very basic package as no one really bothers with watching the tv that much. As far as I'm aware that doesn't count towards being a Sky customer.

Anyway use it already and know the score here, it it would be possible to get the monthly ticket thing?

Yes. They'll change the thing on the end of the arm and, possibly, re-cable.

The engineer came today, didn't change a thing and told me that I could only record what I watch, should I be making a phonecall to Sky to complain?

The engineer came today, didn't change a thing and told me that I could only record what I watch, should I be making a phonecall to Sky to complain?

Is the dish your own? Its not a communal one with other flats?

If its your own then I dont see any reason why you couldnt get Sky+, so yes, worth a call.