E-Chat Quick Question Thread

forehead7

Okay been a bit of an idiot. Was trying to get a print screen of FM but it wasn't working so I just clicked "shift, ctrl, windows, alt and prt Scrn" all at once which seems to have caused all my internet to go very white except from text. Any ideas on how to fix it?

Okay been a bit of an idiot. Was trying to get a print screen of FM but it wasn't working so I just clicked "shift, ctrl, windows, alt and prt Scrn" all at once which seems to have caused all my internet to go very white except from text. Any ideas on how to fix it?

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Seriously I've no idea what pressing all them at once would have done, does nothing when I try it on mine. Still, turn your computer off and on though. ;)

Google chrome works fine, as does FM and everything, it's just IE that's broken :unsure:

What makes you think it was trying to take a screenshot on FM using every modifier on the keyboard that did it? What happens when you close IE and reopen it? Still all white?

Well when I clicked all the buttons it made a "ting" sound and then when I went on IE it was white. And yes it stays white.

I think what you've done is activated the mode that is used for people with poor eyesight. If you press shift alt + print screen it activates the "poor sight mode ". Perhaps due to the fact you were on Fm and pressed a few other keys, it didn't work properly.

Can I ask, what operating system are you using?

Right, another question.

Football Manager won't load up, so I sent an e-mail to Steam. They said to follow their instructions, and I went as far as I could. They said to go to C:/ProgramFiles/Steam/SteamApps/DirectX (or something like that) and run two different programs in that folder.

I can't find the Steam folder. It's not in Program Files or Program Files (x86). I right-clicked the Steam icon on my desktop and went to "Open file location" but there's not any folders in that barring "Dumps". Anyone got an idea where it could be?

EDIT: It doesn't matter. The Steam folder had managed to hide itself (I really couldn't tell you why) so I played around with that and managed to get it working again. Yes! :D

Edited by Smurph

How do I tell if my graphics card is integrated or dedicated?

If you play games, you'll most likely have direct X installed. Click on Start and in the search box type "dxdiag" without the quotes

The Display tab will give you info on your graphics card, and might say if its integrated or not

Alternatively, if its an off the shelf machine, look up the model number on the internet

Why do you want to know?

Help! Got a problem with my Internet on my computer, when I click on IE it says "choose the program you want to use to open this file" so I click Internet Explorer. Then it comes up with that little box that says "Do you want to run or save this file?" so I click run. Then it says "Choose the program you want to use to open this file" and it keeps going round and round in circles!! The exact same thing happens when I try to open Google chrome :(. I'm posting this on my iPod.

Is there an easy way for me to wipe the hard drive on my PC? Going to dump it when moving house as it's old and fucked, just don't want to leave any info on it (passwords etc).

Most techy folk recommend taking a hammer to it and making sure it's smashed up beyond any doubt. People can still recover stuff even after it's wiped. Plus it's great fun. :D

Most techy folk recommend taking a hammer to it and making sure it's smashed up beyond any doubt. People can still recover stuff even after it's wiped. Plus it's great fun. :D

This was my favoured option but the mrs didn't believe me! :lol:

This is spot on. The police, for example, are able to find illegal content by running some softward that recovers wiped data, and it's easy for anyone who knows anything about computers to get hold of the same software. Even I've used it in the past to get a load of documents back after a PC died and cleared everything off.