E-Chat Quick Question Thread

forehead7

Run Spybot and Malware bytes - you'll get both from google easily enough. They should pick up anything your anti-virus didnt

If you can get into Task Manager, have a look and see what is using up all the resources.

Also, go into ms config (Start > Run > type "msconfig") and look through whats in the startup tab. You should be able to work out what most of the stuff is from the file path and if you dont recognise anything dont switch it off! However, you might see some stuff thats obviously dodgy and can stop it from running when the PC starts up.

Nothing dodgy, nothing in the startup that shouldn't be there (apart from the Norton that came with the laptop, so I switched that off). However, when about to restart to apply the setting, the message 'force programme closures' appeared. AFAIK I wasn't running any programmes, so I looked in the start menu and quick time was highlighted. It seems it was running permanently off it's own bat for some strange reason, so I cleaned that up and it seems to have done the trick. Thank you. :D

Edit: bugger, it's started not responding again. Grr. :lol:

When in task manager the processor is showing 100% usage although no programs are running except task manager :unsure:

Stumped.

Nothing at all? Strange.

Try booting into safe mode and see if it still does it there

It doesn't apparently.

Having googled it appears that it may be something to do with the fan??? Have taken back off and cleaned up a bit but can't get into where the fan is but it looks dirty. Might need to take to computer shop to get it sorted.

It doesn't apparently.

Having googled it appears that it may be something to do with the fan??? Have taken back off and cleaned up a bit but can't get into where the fan is but it looks dirty. Might need to take to computer shop to get it sorted.

Where on google said it was the fan?

If it doesnt in safe mode then chances are something is running that shouldnt be. Boot into safe mode again, do a virus check and run Spybot and Malwarebytes

Where on google said it was the fan?

If it doesnt in safe mode then chances are something is running that shouldnt be. Boot into safe mode again, do a virus check and run Spybot and Malwarebytes

It won't do a virus check in safe mode. Looked at some advice forums and a few people with the same model of laptop have had the same problem and it seems to be dust clogging the vent so the fan is on permanently using the processor 100%. Solution: open back and clean the vents - Problem: can't get the screws out the back. Fuxake! :angry:

It took me 9hours to install Football Manager 2011 on my laptop via Steam. It took an additional hour to download the update.

I've just stuck my 2010 disc in 'cause I want to continue one of my games on that. No problem, until I pressed play, and it says "will run in approx. 4hours and 'x' minutes.

I'd assume it's the internet connection, which is wireless and supplied by BT. Is there any way I can make this go quicker? Would I need to buy a cable of some sort to connect my laptop to the router thing?

How do I find out the speed that I *should* be getting from my ISP? And should I change from BT?

Edited by Smurph

I quite often plug my tv into my laptop, via an HDMI cable if that matters, I've done it before but no idea how I did but I want the audio to be coming out the TV, at least for the extended part of the desktop. Right now the sound for the film I've got playing in the extended is coming out the laptop and the sound coming out the tv is from the main part of the desktop(msn notifications).

Any ideas how to reverse this?

Did you get this working?

If not: Start -> Control Panel -> Sounds & Audio [varies on each operating system]. Right-click the HDMI device on the list and set that as the default audio.

When you take the cable out, you'll have to reverse this option to get the sound back on the desktop.

I don't know of a more permanent fix than that, but it works for me.

I bought the Ultimate Steal edition of Microsoft Office 2007 last year but I lost it when my laptop went to the great recycling centre in the sky a few months back.

Looking to reinstall it but I've lost the reinstallation disc, although I do have the serial number.

If I acquire a copy from other sources, but enter my completely legitimate and paid-for serial number, will it work properly?

Did you get this working?

If not: Start -> Control Panel -> Sounds & Audio [varies on each operating system]. Right-click the HDMI device on the list and set that as the default audio.

When you take the cable out, you'll have to reverse this option to get the sound back on the desktop.

I don't know of a more permanent fix than that, but it works for me.

I did but I made the whole laptop run through the tv, then switched it back to tv and laptop extended desktop. Well that's what I did and it ended up working.

That sounds like a better way of doing it though, cheers.

I bought the Ultimate Steal edition of Microsoft Office 2007 last year but I lost it when my laptop went to the great recycling centre in the sky a few months back.

Looking to reinstall it but I've lost the reinstallation disc, although I do have the serial number.

If I acquire a copy from other sources, but enter my completely legitimate and paid-for serial number, will it work properly?

Depends really. If you download a "trial" version and unlock it with your serial number it will be fine. However, lots of pirate software comes 'pre-cracked'. If you download one of those then, not only will you not need your serial number, but theres no guarantee it will work.

Although if you contact Microsoft you might be able to get a replacement copy of the disc, if you can prove you actually bought it.

Depends really. If you download a "trial" version and unlock it with your serial number it will be fine. However, lots of pirate software comes 'pre-cracked'. If you download one of those then, not only will you not need your serial number, but theres no guarantee it will work.

Although if you contact Microsoft you might be able to get a replacement copy of the disc, if you can prove you actually bought it.

I hadn't even thought of the trial edition!

Downloaded this morning, installed with my serial number, activated with no problems at all over the internet.

Brilliant suggestion - green spot for you!

Ok, my question relates to WiFi. Basically for Nintendo DS Lites you can connect it to the internet. But I tried to connect it to my router (Bt Home Hub 2.0) but it says that the DS can't connect to it and I don't think it supports it. But you can buy USB sticks that plug into the pc/laptop, they're intended for people with wired broadband and it makes it wireless. My question is would that allow me to connect to it?

Either that or is it possible to change the security from WPA to WEP? I have no idea what either means.

Ok, my question relates to WiFi. Basically for Nintendo DS Lites you can connect it to the internet. But I tried to connect it to my router (Bt Home Hub 2.0) but it says that the DS can't connect to it and I don't think it supports it. But you can buy USB sticks that plug into the pc/laptop, they're intended for people with wired broadband and it makes it wireless. My question is would that allow me to connect to it?

Doubt it. It'll be a config problem. There's no reason the Home Hub wireless won't work directly.

Either that or is it possible to change the security from WPA to WEP? I have no idea what either means.

Have you followed the guide here?

Looking into getting a new phone, looking at an HTC Desire HD, but I dunno if its worth shelling out that wee bit more for the HD or just to get the normal Desire.

Long story short, is the HTC Desire HD worth about £10 a month more than a standard Desire?

Looking into getting a new phone, looking at an HTC Desire HD, but I dunno if its worth shelling out that wee bit more for the HD or just to get the normal Desire.

Long story short, is the HTC Desire HD worth about £10 a month more than a standard Desire?

Probably best to go into a shop and see which you prefer. The HD has a bigger screen - therefore is a bigger phone.

Personally, Id go for the HD but its down to personal preference really

My laptop has become infected with a virus that blocks all of my programs and I can't use Task Manager or System Restore. Is there any way to fix this without losing all my data? Some of it I really can't lose.

Have you tried booting into safe mode to see if you can system restore from there?

If you know the name of the virus then search on google, as there might well be a fix