E-Chat Quick Question Thread

forehead7

I'm trying to uninstall AVG from my laptop as it's not working right and when I go into control panel to uninstall it it comes up saying 'AVG installer application has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available'. Does anyone know how I can uninstall the program as this keeps coming up every time I try to get rid of it...

I'm trying to uninstall AVG from my laptop as it's not working right and when I go into control panel to uninstall it it comes up saying 'AVG installer application has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available'. Does anyone know how I can uninstall the program as this keeps coming up every time I try to get rid of it...

Maybe try re-installing it, to fix whatever problems, then uninstall it. Only thing I can think of.

Maybe try re-installing it, to fix whatever problems, then uninstall it. Only thing I can think of.

That's essentially what I'm wanting to do as it isn't updating right just now but when I go to uninstall it thats when it comes up with that error thing I posted above so I'm not sure how to get rid of it :unsure:

Whats the easiest way to post a picture on this ?

If it's on a website then right click it and click "copy image url" then click the picture icon above the typing box or put and [/ img] (without spaces) around the URL you copied.

Either that or you can attach photos from your hard drive below the typing box.

As for the AVG, can you not just download the latest version off their website then run that program?

I'm trying to watch Skins series 1 here, but somethings up with my DVD drive I think. First of all when the Skins DVD is entered, the drive is still called FM2010, and when you double click it it just takes you to a bunch of files within folders. Anyone shed some light?

post-26709-0-23844900-1297351721_thumb.j

post-26709-0-29169100-1297351738_thumb.j

I'm trying to watch Skins series 1 here, but somethings up with my DVD drive I think. First of all when the Skins DVD is entered, the drive is still called FM2010, and when you double click it it just takes you to a bunch of files within folders. Anyone shed some light?

Does it not come up with an option to watch it immediately when you enter it? Maybe try right clicking the disc in My Computer then trying "open with...."

Does it not come up with an option to watch it immediately when you enter it? Maybe try right clicking the disc in My Computer then trying "open with...."

Nope, no autoplay, and that's after I've configured the settings to always automatically play. I'm thinking it may have something to do with me always fucking around with Daemon tools and Ultra ISO and all that malarky?

Nope, no autoplay, and that's after I've configured the settings to always automatically play. I'm thinking it may have something to do with me always fucking around with Daemon tools and Ultra ISO and all that malarky?

Possibly, although if you've just been adding, removing and mounting drives then it shouldn't.

Try going into the Video folder of the disc. I popped in a dvd and went into it and a bunch of files can be opened with VLC player (the program I use to watch dvds and such) I'd suggest just clicking them and trying to open them.

If it's Skins then it might be separated into episodes before you get to VLC files.

My DVD drive won't open. When I push the ejct/open button, the light comes on and then nothing happens. I remember that there is a way to manually open the drive but for the life of me I can't remember what it is. If anyone could tell me how to get it open I would be very grateful.

My DVD drive won't open. When I push the ejct/open button, the light comes on and then nothing happens. I remember that there is a way to manually open the drive but for the life of me I can't remember what it is. If anyone could tell me how to get it open I would be very grateful.

Theres a little hole on the front. Stick a paper clip in it

edited to add - obviously I meant the end of a paper clip after you've pulled it apart!

Edited by Mr X

Theres a little hole on the front. Stick a paper clip in it

edited to add - obviously I meant the end of a paper clip after you've pulled it apart!

Thanks a lot, now I might actually be able to use my computer properly.

Permission wise. For example Google images and videos of youtube?

Same as if you got them from anywhere else - if you dont hold the copyright then you shouldnt, technically, be using them.

Probably best to check with your uni though. If what youre doing is purely for academic purposes then there are different rules that might apply.

Problem with my laptop: basically it switches on and off fine and quickly, then works well for exactly five minutes, then everything is not responding. This includes any programs or software, basically anything that's running. I've checked for viruses (nothing) and even did a system restore which made no difference.

Any ideas? :unsure:

Problem with my laptop: basically it switches on and off fine and quickly, then works well for exactly five minutes, then everything is not responding. This includes any programs or software, basically anything that's running. I've checked for viruses (nothing) and even did a system restore which made no difference.

Any ideas? :unsure:

Run Spybot and Malware bytes - you'll get both from google easily enough. They should pick up anything your anti-virus didnt

If you can get into Task Manager, have a look and see what is using up all the resources.

Also, go into ms config (Start > Run > type "msconfig") and look through whats in the startup tab. You should be able to work out what most of the stuff is from the file path and if you dont recognise anything dont switch it off! However, you might see some stuff thats obviously dodgy and can stop it from running when the PC starts up.

Run Spybot and Malware bytes - you'll get both from google easily enough. They should pick up anything your anti-virus didnt

If you can get into Task Manager, have a look and see what is using up all the resources.

Also, go into ms config (Start > Run > type "msconfig") and look through whats in the startup tab. You should be able to work out what most of the stuff is from the file path and if you dont recognise anything dont switch it off! However, you might see some stuff thats obviously dodgy and can stop it from running when the PC starts up.

Nothing dodgy, nothing in the startup that shouldn't be there (apart from the Norton that came with the laptop, so I switched that off). However, when about to restart to apply the setting, the message 'force programme closures' appeared. AFAIK I wasn't running any programmes, so I looked in the start menu and quick time was highlighted. It seems it was running permanently off it's own bat for some strange reason, so I cleaned that up and it seems to have done the trick. Thank you. :D

Edit: bugger, it's started not responding again. Grr. :lol:

Edited by Monster

Sometimes the best way to fix a computer riddled with software problems (but no malware, spyware etc.) is to reformat the Hard Drive and reinstall the operating system cleanly.

I quite often plug my tv into my laptop, via an HDMI cable if that matters, I've done it before but no idea how I did but I want the audio to be coming out the TV, at least for the extended part of the desktop. Right now the sound for the film I've got playing in the extended is coming out the laptop and the sound coming out the tv is from the main part of the desktop(msn notifications).

Any ideas how to reverse this?