E-Chat Quick Question Thread

forehead7

I'm at my parents' over the holidays and they have an issue with their Sky+ box showing "no satellite signal being received", yet not on all channels (for example Sky Sports 1 will be fine but Sky Sports 2 will have no signal) and at intermittent times (was fine all yesterday but been sporadic all afternoon today)

Other than switching off, waiting 5 minutes and switching on (done) and making sure the connections at the back of the box are secure (done), is there anything that can be done to improve this that doesn't involve me Rod Hulling myself on the roof or getting an engineer, who would no doubt come round when eveything is working?

This has got a wee bit stranger. Despite the fact the screen will display "no signal", if I go into system setup - signal test then I get a signal strength of anything between 40 and 60% and a signal quality of consistently 100%. Also, sometimes if I just leave the channel for 30 seconds it will come on, sometimes it won't.

I've tried:

switching off and on

making sure all connections are tight

taking out viewing card and wiping with dry kitchen roll

resetting the LNB through the installer menu

weather here cannot be a factor any more as it's thawed out 2 days ago.

Any other suggestions as to either the source of the problem or a potential fix?

This has got a wee bit stranger. Despite the fact the screen will display "no signal", if I go into system setup - signal test then I get a signal strength of anything between 40 and 60% and a signal quality of consistently 100%. Also, sometimes if I just leave the channel for 30 seconds it will come on, sometimes it won't.

I've tried:

switching off and on

making sure all connections are tight

taking out viewing card and wiping with dry kitchen roll

resetting the LNB through the installer menu

weather here cannot be a factor any more as it's thawed out 2 days ago.

Any other suggestions as to either the source of the problem or a potential fix?

Does it only happen on one signal, or both? If its just one, try swapping the connectors over at the back of the box. If the same one shows a problem then its a box issue, if it swaps over then theres something wrong with the LNB.

We've had all sorts of signal issues over the years and the causes have been varied from a wet LNB (the installer put the wrong casing on it) to a dodgy connection on the box

To be honest, if you've ruled out the weather, its almost certainly an engineer job

Trying to set up freeview on a new Sony bravia tv , I have sky plus via a cable through the wall because its multi room. But because its built-in to the telly I don't know where to go from here , should I be scanning through arial or cable , I'm completely clueless to how it works so any help would be great.

Trying to set up freeview on a new Sony bravia tv , I have sky plus via a cable through the wall because its multi room. But because its built-in to the telly I don't know where to go from here , should I be scanning through arial or cable , I'm completely clueless to how it works so any help would be great.

To ge freeview,you need to have an ariel plugged into the tv.is the cable you talk about purely a sky plus box cable?

If you have an outside ariel and it is plugged into the back of your tv,scan air and it will sort out all your tv channels,it takes a bit of time on the Sony tvs because of the tv listing planner on it,but it's worth it.

Posted in the gen non. Any help?

I use AVG but when my computer was virus-ed it wouldn't work because the internet was needed and the internet wasn't loading up.

I've never heard any problems with Norton, don't think you need the internet to put it on either.

If your OS has an option to load with safe mode then I'd give that a bash, usually gives you the option in the first couple of screens after you've turned it on, before any logging in happens.

Edited by forehead7

My internet keeps cutting out around 8pm at night, usually happens a couple nights a week, it did it tonight, last night and the night before. This time resetting it worked but usually it doesn't help. And it comes back online when I wake up in the morning. Any reason or just BT's general incompetence?

Here's the dealio, my computer has 2 accounts, mines (the administrator) and my sisters (the guest). Earlier today I was browsing when I clicked a link and it was a downloadable file, I'm on google chrome so I get the option to save or discard, but I pressed save by mistake. This link has given me a lot of viruses, I had 0 before, I do regular checks and they won't let me open my anti-virus software so I can't delete them all. Now my sisters works fine, but is there any way I could delete all the viruses when on her account?

Because I don't have the funds to put it in a shop just now to fix it, is there any other way I could delete these viruses without the anti-virus?

Cheers, people.

Here's the dealio, my computer has 2 accounts, mines (the administrator) and my sisters (the guest). Earlier today I was browsing when I clicked a link and it was a downloadable file, I'm on google chrome so I get the option to save or discard, but I pressed save by mistake. This link has given me a lot of viruses, I had 0 before, I do regular checks and they won't let me open my anti-virus software so I can't delete them all. Now my sisters works fine, but is there any way I could delete all the viruses when on her account?

Because I don't have the funds to put it in a shop just now to fix it, is there any other way I could delete these viruses without the anti-virus?

Cheers, people.

It might work, especially if her account has admin rights. Install and run Malwarebytes and that might get rid of whatever you have. Depending on what virus(es) you have you might be able to download specific fixes for them. Googling the virus name will point you in the right direction

It might work, especially if her account has admin rights. Install and run Malwarebytes and that might get rid of whatever you have. Depending on what virus(es) you have you might be able to download specific fixes for them. Googling the virus name will point you in the right direction

It doesn't have admin rights, I already had Malwarebytes, which is an awesome program and anyone who reads this I'd recommend downloading it.

And it doesn't let me change hers to admin rights, which is kinda suckish. Looking like I have to shell out for Norton which I'll use once then uninstall. It's that or a shop. dry.gif

It doesn't have admin rights, I already had Malwarebytes, which is an awesome program and anyone who reads this I'd recommend downloading it.

And it doesn't let me change hers to admin rights, which is kinda suckish. Looking like I have to shell out for Norton which I'll use once then uninstall. It's that or a shop. dry.gif

:o

Oh dear god no. Why would you want to do that? Even without admin rights, its worth trying to run your antivirus software etc logged in on her account. You could also try booting into safe mode and running it from there.

:o

Oh dear god no. Why would you want to do that? Even without admin rights, its worth trying to run your antivirus software etc logged in on her account. You could also try booting into safe mode and running it from there.

I ran the malwarebytes on her account but it only picked up what was on her account.

I'm curious what's safe mode and how do go about getting this?

I would use Google, but I find it easier if I am interacting with someone.

Cheers for the help btw.

I ran the malwarebytes on her account but it only picked up what was on her account.

I'm curious what's safe mode and how do go about getting this?

I would use Google, but I find it easier if I am interacting with someone.

Cheers for the help btw.

When the PC is booting up keep pressing F8 ( I think, I can never remember :lol: ) to get the boot options menu. One of those options will be to boot to safe mode

When the PC is booting up keep pressing F8 ( I think, I can never remember :lol: ) to get the boot options menu. One of those options will be to boot to safe mode

Right, I ran the Safe Mode and then ran the malwarebytes but apparently I had 0 viruses. I went back on my account with a bit of blind faith, but apparently I still have 35 serious ones.

I have no idea what to do now, any advice?

What it could be, now you've described it is a virus specifically in your profile. Obviously depends on what version of the OS it is, but sometimes Malwarebytes seems to pick up and finds the virus, but then leaves the file behind, making the whole thing start again. What you could try is going back to safe mode, and after running malwarebytes again, going into your profile (on my XP machine, its c:\documents and settings), clicking on your folder, and then looking in application data. you might have to make sure you can view hidden files) You might see a folder with a meaningless name "xxxyjyjyj002" or some gibberish like that. If you can find and delete something like that, then that might help.

Also, 35 viruses? What tells you that? Is it a new virus scanner you haven't seen before that is encouraging you to buy software? If so, then don't worry about that, there is likely to be only one virus, and its the "virus scanner".

Hope that helps you!

Right, I ran the Safe Mode and then ran the malwarebytes but apparently I had 0 viruses. I went back on my account with a bit of blind faith, but apparently I still have 35 serious ones.

I have no idea what to do now, any advice?

The program that is telling you that you have 35 viruses is actually the virus. It's a fake antivirus that is a real c**t to get rid of. Surprised MalwareBytes didn't pick it up actually. Did you update MalwareBytes before you ran it and did you run a full scan?

Are you able to download and install Microsoft Security Essentials?

Another option is pressing F8 just before the Windows loading screen and choosing system restore or you might need to choose repair my computer then choose system restore. System restore will allow you to restore the computer to the way it was before you got the virus but it might not work.