E-Chat Quick Question Thread

forehead7

Anyone able to offer some help getting a new adapter/charger for my laptop? I have an Acer Aspire VN7-791G which I got eight years ago, so unsurprisingly it's proving hard to find a replacement for the one I have.

I found this one online, but the reviews of the site are appalling so would rather avoid: https://www.chargers-online.co.uk/135W-Original-Acer-PA113105-Charger-Adapter-Power-Supply-p-98213.html

Will an adapter with a lower watt rating but the same voltage and amps do the same or does everything need to be identical? Was wondering if this would do the job https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234666719627 Has the same voltage and amps output (mine is 7.1, it says 7.11) but note the amp input is 2.2A and mine is 2.5A.

Apologies for a question that is probably more for an electrician but would like some advice before I wreck my laptop. Have emailed Acer for suggestions too - can't register for their forum for some reason or would ask there!

• 1 month later...

Does anyone have any experiences with data recovery from a knackered external hard drive. I have a 2TB external drive that I knocked off the table tonight, and it now doesn't connect to the laptop, and makes clicking noises. So it looks like I've damaged it. I realise I need to get some professional help here, but has anyone any experience of recovery companies?

• 3 weeks later...
Does anyone have any experiences with data recovery from a knackered external hard drive. I have a 2TB external drive that I knocked off the table tonight, and it now doesn't connect to the laptop, and makes clicking noises. So it looks like I've damaged it. I realise I need to get some professional help here, but has anyone any experience of recovery companies?

Maybe contact the old bill.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Anyone ever removed a screen from a laptop to do something else with it?

Define "something else".

Looks like there are lots of guides to reusing them as external monitors, if that's what you had in mind?

11 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Define "something else".

Looks like there are lots of guides to reusing them as external monitors, if that's what you had in mind?

Yeah essentially as a monitor for a PS4.  I've looked at some of the guides but they seem to be for monitors that have screws somewhere but my one does not.  Not really sure where to go after that.  

• 3 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Mr. Brightside said:

The driver for my WiFi stopped working on my laptop last night unexpectedly. I've tried uninstalling the driver and re-installing it as suggested in a few places with no joy. Anyone able to help? The laptop is an Asus VivoBook running Windows 11.

Are there any Windows updates outstanding? Start > Settings > Windows Update

• 3 weeks later...
On 28/01/2023 at 07:12, Mr. Brightside said:

The driver for my WiFi stopped working on my laptop last night unexpectedly. I've tried uninstalling the driver and re-installing it as suggested in a few places with no joy. Anyone able to help? The laptop is an Asus VivoBook running Windows 11.

Late response, but try “shift+shutdown” to command a complete shutdown at power off. Alternately, holding the power button for 40 seconds should perform a more complete reset.

• 1 month later...

Any advice on how to get rid of Positive Health E-Mails. I have tried unsubscribe but it is ignored and I continue to receive one or two E-Mails daily (in my spam folder) which I immediately delete without opening.  Official advice is to complain to Offcom but I can't be arsed to go though all the official hoops.

11 hours ago, Blue Brazil Forever said:

Any advice on how to get rid of Positive Health E-Mails. I have tried unsubscribe but it is ignored and I continue to receive one or two E-Mails daily (in my spam folder) which I immediately delete without opening.  Official advice is to complain to Offcom but I can't be arsed to go though all the official hoops.

Set up a rule to automatically delete them?

If they go to straight to your spam folder, why do you care? I must get a couple of hundred unsolicited advertisements every day - I didn't know anyone even tried the unsubscribe links anymore!

Just got a new laptop and wondering what is the current thoughts on the battery to keep it in tip top condition for as long as possible. I'm guessing it's similar to my Samsung phone which has a setting for only charging the battery to 85%?

Some streaming channels on my Panasonic TV are showing a weird blue effect that turns folk into Smurfs (see spoiler).

I first noticed this on my BT channels the other week, but it seems to also affect a select few YouTube videos that I watch through the YouTube app installed on the same TV.  Most YouTube videos appear normal though.  Anybody have any ideas what's causing such sorcery, and how to fix it? 

PXL_20230309_1922328532.thumb.jpg.51c1d2f26af97e7733970cbe8d512e9f.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Geeks, really hope someone can help me here.  My laptop (Lenovo) screen has broken for the 3rd time in 1 year. 1st time it was just a normal crack, 2nd and 3rd time the right-hand bracket breaks and then screen goes to f**k. Can't see nothing. Got it fix the first few times. However the IT guy at work say buy a cheap monitor and work from that....ok I've just bought a monitor and set it all up.  Problem is. The monitor when plugged into the laptop gives this - cannot display this video mode. So I have change the resolution on the laptop...but can't because I can't see the screen.  IT guy at work is on holiday.  Anyone have clue how to get round this problem

On 06/04/2023 at 07:02, SlipperyP said:

Hi Geeks, really hope someone can help me here.  My laptop (Lenovo) screen has broken for the 3rd time in 1 year. 1st time it was just a normal crack, 2nd and 3rd time the right-hand bracket breaks and then screen goes to f**k. Can't see nothing. Got it fix the first few times. However the IT guy at work say buy a cheap monitor and work from that....ok I've just bought a monitor and set it all up.  Problem is. The monitor when plugged into the laptop gives this - cannot display this video mode. So I have change the resolution on the laptop...but can't because I can't see the screen.  IT guy at work is on holiday.  Anyone have clue how to get round this problem

Maybe something like this?

Win key + P -> keep holding Win key -> press P three times -> let go of Win key. That should duplicate the laptop display onto the monitor.

Assuming you can login ok without seeing the screen (I think you might have to press a key at the login screen before typing your password).

Edited by charger29

15 hours ago, charger29 said:

Maybe something like this?

Win key + P -> keep holding Win key -> press P three times -> let go of Win key. That should duplicate the laptop display onto the monitor.

Assuming you can login ok without seeing the screen (I think you might have to press a key at the login screen before typing your password).

It worked. I had to sign in blind, but it worked.

I owe you a pint or two.

Cheers man🍻

• 4 weeks later...

Is this a good laptop for Football Manager and also fairly heavy coding work in Python?

HP Victus 16-E0038NA 16.1-inch - Ryzen 7 5800H - 16GB 512GB NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060

Specs

Spoiler

Storage: 512 GB

SSD storage capacity (GB): 512

Storage type: SSD

Memory: 16 GB

Memory Type: DDR4

Model: Victus 16-E0038NA

Processor speed: 3.2 GHz

Processor brand: AMD

Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060

Graphics card memory type: GDDR6

Processor: Ryzen 7 5800H

Can get it for juat under £800. Unsure if thats good or if theres a better, cheaper, option.