E-Chat Quick Question Thread

forehead7

4 hours ago, Homer Thompson said:

Those plugs look older than me, and I wasn't born in the 90s. That's why I asked.

It's almost certainly OK but worth checking

Right, but I was taking issue with you asking if the aerial has been upgraded to receive Freeview, because there's no such thing as a Freeview or "digital" aerial. 

I tried a few things, infra red etc but none of them worked reliably. Best thing I found was a pretty ordinary indoor aerial, works much better with digital than the old coat hanger type with analogue broadcasting. Depends on the signal strength in your area and you have to play around with positioning. Quite a small outlay if it doesn't work.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/SLx-Digital-Freeview-27806R-Innovation/dp/B07GXS9ZXS/ref=pd_sbs_1/259-4881059-0246166?pd_rd_w=zT2Cf&pf_rd_p=a3a7088f-4aec-4dbd-97cc-9a059581fe7b&pf_rd_r=JY0YP7GJNP3NK6RE830F&pd_rd_r=9f204e06-b1e7-4d40-ba80-b9c10fd85879&pd_rd_wg=EKg0Y&pd_rd_i=B07GXS9ZXS&th=1
P.S. I got mine without an amplifier and it worked fine, no idea if they're worth the extra.

So to clarify, would this just plug into the TV with no need for anything in the aerial connection?

20 minutes ago, paul-r-cfc said:

Shite. Really should have taken that thing off the wall then before the painter came round.

It might not work, you need a decent signal so you might still want a plan B for the roof aerial.

It might not work, you need a decent signal so you might still want a plan B for the roof aerial.

Ach, it's fine. Only time I ever watch live TV is for football which I'll be getting off my mum's virgin media account anyway! Anything else can be found on iplayer etc.

• 2 months later...
Wifi speeds are all to f**k, getting 0.6mbps download but 9mbps upload.
Any idea what could be causing this, phoned the provider and they were absolutely useless.
Rebooting the router would be the first thing. Have you got anything connected via network cable? If so, check the speed on there. If its the same then chances are it's a line fault. If its OK then its an issues with the wireless router or the devices. Presumably you've checked on more than one device?

Rebooting the router would be the first thing. Have you got anything connected via network cable? If so, check the speed on there. If its the same then chances are it's a line fault. If its OK then its an issues with the wireless router or the devices. Presumably you've checked on more than one device?
Checked on several devices although all wireless, I'll try a wired device and do a speed check tonight.

30 minutes ago, Empty It said:
15 hours ago, Homer Thompson said:

Checked on several devices although all wireless, I'll try a wired device and do a speed check tonight.

Also log in to the router's control panel, it might show the speeds and other troubleshooting info about the line. 

Also log in to the router's control panel, it might show the speeds and other troubleshooting info about the line. 
So I've come home to it miraculously fixing itself despite the provider claiming it was definitely a problem inside the address and wasn't on their side, sure.

• 5 weeks later...

Any decent adblock apps for Firestick? Youtube seem to have ramped up the ads to pretty much making any video unwatchable. Tried to watch a 20 min video and had 12 ad breaks which were unskippable and it's always the same 2 adverts. Not sure if there's something up with my YouTube app or they've just went mental because it doesn't seem as bad on my other devices that don't have adblock such as my TV in the bedroom.

What to do when a phone runs out of charge but and no longer turns on despite using multiple different cables/chargers that work with another phone? 

When I plug it into my computer, it recognises something is there (with the manufacturer name in device manager) but the phone doesn't charge or appear as a drive (presumably because it needs to be unlocked).

Any decent adblock apps for Firestick? Youtube seem to have ramped up the ads to pretty much making any video unwatchable. Tried to watch a 20 min video and had 12 ad breaks which were unskippable and it's always the same 2 adverts. Not sure if there's something up with my YouTube app or they've just went mental because it doesn't seem as bad on my other devices that don't have adblock such as my TV in the bedroom.

Have you tried Newpipe? It's a third party YouTube app that gets rid of the ads for you. Not sure how it deals with subscriptions etc.

Every 2/3 months YouTube tries to block it but you just need to download the update it and it'll be fine again.

The logo doesn't show up right on my firestick but other than that its perfect for me (on any android device).

What to do when a phone runs out of charge but and no longer turns on despite using multiple different cables/chargers that work with another phone? 
When I plug it into my computer, it recognises something is there (with the manufacturer name in device manager) but the phone doesn't charge or appear as a drive (presumably because it needs to be unlocked).

Something similar happened to a relative of mines iPhone.
It turned out the USB component inside the phone had broken. I just bought that single component for maybe £5 on ebay and replaced it myself using a fairly simple YouTube guide.

This was around 5 years ago though and its obviously tougher to get into phones yourself nowadays without damaging them.

Could the battery itself be damaged/almost dead? Or maybe something is stuck in the charging port stopping enough voltage getting through.

22 hours ago, charger29 said:

It turned out the USB component inside the phone had broken. I just bought that single component for maybe £5 on ebay and replaced it myself using a fairly simple YouTube guide.

This was around 5 years ago though and its obviously tougher to get into phones yourself nowadays without damaging them.

Could the battery itself be damaged/almost dead? Or maybe something is stuck in the charging port stopping enough voltage getting through.

Couldn't see anything amiss with the charging port (removed fluff as well), and the youtube video I saw for this phone involved taking off the screen with what looked like a heatgun!

But funnily enough I connected it a few times today and eventually it just started up again - with ~60% charge! Think it's about 5 years old so might need to find another one in case it does the same thing again... :huh:

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/02/2022 at 23:16, Ludo*1 said:

https://smartyoutubetv.github.io/