E-Chat Quick Question Thread

forehead7

9 minutes ago, Empty It said:
12 minutes ago, pandarilla said:
Folks I've changed my phone but can't seem to find the P&B app to buy in the play store.

Am I missing something?

And if I can't get the app is there anyone who accesses the main site from their phone?  Is that an easy thing to do (right now I'm using my laptop)?

I know these will seem like stupid questions but with my old phone the app was perfect and really easy for me to use. 

The P&B app is no more and hasn't been available for ages now, you can access it through the Tapatalk app.

Cheers.

Is that pretty easy to use?

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know how to set up a smart meter monitor (app version)

Got it pretty much done but something is wrong with the rates.

It's one of the flashing led sensors. I've put in the rate of impulses as 1,000 impulses per kwH because that's what it says on the meter but think that's a standard thing for most meters.

Also put in the tariff rate which I think is correct. But it's giving me around £10 per day which is is clearly wrong.

Think it must be the impulse rate but can't find the correct value. Any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody able to offer a reason why some apps on my Firestick have a dramatic drop in my internet speed?

Our download speed is around 30-35mb but I have an IPTV app on my stick with a built in speed test which only shows about 6-8mbs and struggles to play a lot of stuff. Netflix, iplayer etc all play fine on my stick. I have the same iptv app on my phone and it works great so unsure why the app on my Firestick has performance issues

I've Googled what settings to use for the app and for the Firestick but nothing seems to make a difference and struggling to find anything relating to this specific issue.

Anybody able to offer a reason why some apps on my Firestick have a dramatic drop in my internet speed?

Our download speed is around 30-35mb but I have an IPTV app on my stick with a built in speed test which only shows about 6-8mbs and struggles to play a lot of stuff. Netflix, iplayer etc all play fine on my stick. I have the same iptv app on my phone and it works great so unsure why the app on my Firestick has performance issues

I've Googled what settings to use for the app and for the Firestick but nothing seems to make a difference and struggling to find anything relating to this specific issue.
A lot of the iptv apps have a vpn built in now.

That would explain the drop in speed.

Aye get a separate speed checker app on your fire stick and that'll tell you if its IPTV, if the speed is low at the stick you can buy and adapter so you can hardwire it to the router.
Cheers, aye have a separate speed check on the stick which gives same results as I get on my phone so seems to be the app more. I might try plugging it into the router though as might give a wee boost

Cheers, aye have a separate speed check on the stick which gives same results as I get on my phone so seems to be the app more. I might try plugging it into the router though as might give a wee boost
You can try going into the app settings and clearing the cache, that may help.

Cheers, that makes sense. Much I can do to get around it?
Other than use a different app, probably not.

A lot of the iptv services need to go through a vpn to get epl games.

If you can't use a different app then you could switch to a different iptv provider, that doesn't have a vpn built in and use a separate vpn app or to one that doesn't need a vpn at all.

Cheers, that makes sense. Much I can do to get around it?
You could install packet capture app on your phone to extract the m3u for the IPTV, then run the service on a stock IPTV Smarters app or XCIPTV app on the firestick to see it that runs better. But you would need to arrange an alternative VPN if it is blocked.

• 1 month later...

So I've got an aerial connection like this but my TV is going to be a wee bit away from it. Is there such a way to buy an adaptor of some sort that would wirelessly transmit the aerial signal to the TV to negate the need for a big cable?

This may be utter nonsense but I had it in my head that it was possible and I'm not certain the wireless aerials I've seen online are what I'm looking for.

Any help much appreciated!

dc0e9a3519f1ddbe1aab4bec5968e9eb.jpg

15 minutes ago, paul-r-cfc said:

So I've got an aerial connection like this but my TV is going to be a wee bit away from it. Is there such a way to buy an adaptor of some sort that would wirelessly transmit the aerial signal to the TV to negate the need for a big cable?

I tried a few things, infra red etc but none of them worked reliably. Best thing I found was a pretty ordinary indoor aerial, works much better with digital than the old coat hanger type with analogue broadcasting. Depends on the signal strength in your area and you have to play around with positioning. Quite a small outlay if it doesn't work.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SLx-Digital-Freeview-27806R-Innovation/dp/B07GXS9ZXS/ref=pd_sbs_1/259-4881059-0246166?pd_rd_w=zT2Cf&pf_rd_p=a3a7088f-4aec-4dbd-97cc-9a059581fe7b&pf_rd_r=JY0YP7GJNP3NK6RE830F&pd_rd_r=9f204e06-b1e7-4d40-ba80-b9c10fd85879&pd_rd_wg=EKg0Y&pd_rd_i=B07GXS9ZXS&th=1

P.S. I got mine without an amplifier and it worked fine, no idea if they're worth the extra.

Edited by welshbairn

This may be utter nonsense but I had it in my head that it was possible and I'm not certain the wireless aerials I've seen online are what I'm looking for.

Any help much appreciated!

dc0e9a3519f1ddbe1aab4bec5968e9eb.jpg
You used to be able to get them, I'm fact I think I have one in the cupboard. A quick Google searches didn't come up with anything so maybe they're just not sold anymore. Can't imagine there's much of a demand any more.

I tried a few things, infra red etc but none of them worked reliably. Best thing I found was a pretty ordinary indoor aerial, works much better with digital than the old coat hanger type with analogue broadcasting. Depends on the signal strength in your area and you have to play around with positioning. Quite a small outlay if it doesn't work.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/SLx-Digital-Freeview-27806R-Innovation/dp/B07GXS9ZXS/ref=pd_sbs_1/259-4881059-0246166?pd_rd_w=zT2Cf&pf_rd_p=a3a7088f-4aec-4dbd-97cc-9a059581fe7b&pf_rd_r=JY0YP7GJNP3NK6RE830F&pd_rd_r=9f204e06-b1e7-4d40-ba80-b9c10fd85879&pd_rd_wg=EKg0Y&pd_rd_i=B07GXS9ZXS&th=1
P.S. I got mine without an amplifier and it worked fine, no idea if they're worth the extra.

Cheers. Will look into that.

To be honest, it isn't something I desperately need as most of my TV watching will be scadging off my mum's virgin media account but would just be handy to be able to get Freeview on the big telly for the odd time I would use it.

To be honest, it isn't something I desperately need as most of my TV watching will be scadging off my mum's virgin media account but would just be handy to be able to get Freeview on the big telly for the odd time I would use it.
They look pretty old plugs. Has the ariel, presumably on the roof, been upgraded to receive freeview?

4 hours ago, Homer Thompson said:
13 hours ago, paul-r-cfc said:

They look pretty old plugs. Has the ariel, presumably on the roof, been upgraded to receive freeview?

Eh? You do not need an upgraded aerial to receive Freeview, you can still use an aerial from the 90s or earlier that you'd been receiving analogue signals on before the switchover. 

Edited by Ginaro

Eh? You do not need an upgraded aerial to receive Freeview, you can still use an aerial from the 90s or earlier that you'd been receiving analogue signals on before the switchover. 
Those plugs look older than me, and I wasn't born in the 90s. That's why I asked.

It's almost certainly OK but worth checking