E-Chat Quick Question Thread

forehead7

56 minutes ago, BFTD said:

You'll need to set up file sharing on the XP machine when they're hooked up, but it's pretty straightforward. This looks like a reasonable guide. You just need the bit up to 'Connecting from client', as it isn't an XP machine you'll be connecting from: https://www.eduhk.hk/ocio/content/faq-how-share-files-windows-xp-simple-file-sharing. Just copy any files you want to transfer into the Shared Documents folder.

On the Windows 10 machine, you just go to File Explorer, click on 'Network' on the left-hand pane, then select your XP machine. Any shared folder will show up. Look in the Shared Documents folder, and your files should be there. Just select and copy them over to wherever you fancy on your Windows 10 machine.

You might need to set up static IP addresses on the two machines before they can talk...but you might get lucky, it's been a while since I've done this. They'll probably default to addresses that can communicate automatically. It might not work without a bit more configuration, but nothing we won't be able to help with.

I'd think you would at least need to set the IP on the XP machine, as it wont be connected to the router it will most likely assign itself an IP address in a different range

1 minute ago, Mr X said:

I'd think you would at least need to set the IP on the XP machine, as it wont be connected to the router it will most likely assign itself an IP address in a different range

Aye, I was just figuring they'd both default to the 169.254.x.x subnet. We can always talk him through that if it doesn't work.

5 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Aye, I was just figuring they'd both default to the 169.254.x.x subnet. We can always talk him through that if it doesn't work.

We can. 

If its just the two connected together via cable then you'll probably be right. If the W10 machine connects to the router via wireless it will get a different range

Anyone clued up on Sky Q, specifically the mini-boxes? 

Got the main Sky Q box in the living room and 2 mini boxes up stairs, which have been giving me grief since the day they were fitted. The mini boxes used to drop out when the main box went into stand by mode, which was understandable, but that issue has been sorted now.

However the more mystifying issue now is that the main box is working away fine, and neither of the mini boxes will ‘connect to the network’, even though I can be standing in the same room with my WiFi working perfectly. Sky’s technical help is abysmal, and all they can tell me is that the issue is with my router; either the settings or the proximity to my boxes. I’m 99% sure that’s bullshit because I have a PC in one of the rooms that hasn’t dropped the WiFi connection for as long as I can remember. 

Anyone had a similar experience and know of a way to fix it? It’s infuriating as there is a box yards away which is working fine. I’ve googled this problem multiple times and yet to find a fix, it seems to be a common issue because the Sky Q forum is full of people pulling their hair out with the same problem. 

14 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Got the main Sky Q box in the living room and 2 mini boxes up stairs, which have been giving me grief since the day they were fitted. The mini boxes used to drop out when the main box went into stand by mode, which was understandable, but that issue has been sorted now.

However the more mystifying issue now is that the main box is working away fine, and neither of the mini boxes will ‘connect to the network’, even though I can be standing in the same room with my WiFi working perfectly. Sky’s technical help is abysmal, and all they can tell me is that the issue is with my router; either the settings or the proximity to my boxes. I’m 99% sure that’s bullshit because I have a PC in one of the rooms that hasn’t dropped the WiFi connection for as long as I can remember. 

Anyone had a similar experience and know of a way to fix it? It’s infuriating as there is a box yards away which is working fine. I’ve googled this problem multiple times and yet to find a fix, it seems to be a common issue because the Sky Q forum is full of people pulling their hair out with the same problem. 

I thought the mini boxes connect to the Sky Q box not directly to the router, although I could be wrong.

Its a while since I had a mini box but I gave up on it in the end. It was switched off most of the time and when I switched it on to use it, it was completely hit or miss whether it would connect or not. Even when it did connect it would claim I didnt have a subscription to the sports channels when I did.

Sorry, that probably doesnt help much. Have you tried forcing all the boxes to do an update?

18 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

The Sky Q boxes only work with 5GHz WiFi.  But 5Ghz is worse for going through walls than the 2.4 Ghz band...

... and by default the Sky Q router merges these networks together so you won't know if the wifi you are seeing next to your box is 5 GHz or only 2.4 GHz.

You can go into the sky router settings and unmerge the 5Ghz from the 2.4 Ghz and see if you are actually getting a usuable 5GHz wifi signal in the room with your sky Q box.

I'm moving south in a few weeks and will be having to use my work's monitor in lieu of a television to play my consoles off. The monitor doesn't appear to have an audio 3.5mm jack slot so any ideas what I can do for audio? I've got headphones but I'm not keen on having them on all the time. Have been trying to hunt for speakers but everything seems to be 3.5mm inputs. 

Edited by NotThePars

1 hour ago, NotThePars said:

I'm moving south in a few weeks and will be having to use my work's monitor in lieu of a television to play my consoles off. The monitor doesn't appear to have an audio 3.5mm jack slot so any ideas what I can do for audio? I've got headphones but I'm not keen on having them on all the time. Have been trying to hunt for speakers but everything seems to be 3.5mm inputs. 

I had to do something similar once, and ended up using this with some speakers

8 hours ago, picklish said:

I had to do something similar once, and ended up using this with some speakers

Cheers, mate. I think I've already been given an SPDIF cable from my work. Assume you just plug the speakers and HDMi port into that and then once it's connected to the monitor you get the sound and display going fine?

Cheers, mate. I think I've already been given an SPDIF cable from my work. Assume you just plug the speakers and HDMi port into that and then once it's connected to the monitor you get the sound and display going fine?
Yes, Mr X junior has one for the same reason. You'll need an extra hdmi cable as the box sits between the console and the monitor.

Eta - if you haven't more than one hdmi device you want to use then you can get splitters which do the same thing but means you only need one cable to the monitor and don't have to faff about swapping cables

32 minutes ago, Mr X said:
1 hour ago, NotThePars said:

Yes, Mr X junior has one for the same reason. You'll need an extra hdmi cable as the box sits between the console and the monitor.

Cheers. Has he a decent pair of speakers for them? I've picked up a 25 quid set as a temp measure which I think I can power via my PS5 or laptop but no idea of the quality. Think Amazon are fine for returns if they're not..

Tbh, all this is a spur to find a good place to rent quick so I can just buy a fancy TV and get on with everything.

Cheers. Has he a decent pair of speakers for them? I've picked up a 25 quid set as a temp measure which I think I can power via my PS5 or laptop but no idea of the quality. Think Amazon are fine for returns if they're not..
Tbh, all this is a spur to find a good place to rent quick so I can just buy a fancy TV and get on with everything.
No, he has a fairly old set of cheap pc/desk speakers. They're fine for him and he wears headphones most of the time anyway

On 04/04/2021 at 16:30, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

The Sky Q boxes only work with 5GHz WiFi.  But 5Ghz is worse for going through walls than the 2.4 Ghz band...

... and by default the Sky Q router merges these networks together so you won't know if the wifi you are seeing next to your box is 5 GHz or only 2.4 GHz.

You can go into the sky router settings and unmerge the 5Ghz from the 2.4 Ghz and see if you are actually getting a usuable 5GHz wifi signal in the room with your sky Q box.

5GHz is absolutely shite for travelling further than a few yards, going through walls is just a no chance, if the boxes only work on that band then its an absolutely shite setup they have created, 

Only thing i can think for @IrishBhoyto try is either wifi extenders (highly inconsistent with the 5GHz as well) or asking (really paying) sky to install another router upstairs which is an equal pain in the arse, or a DIY method is to run an cable from router or sky q box to the mini boxes and see if that works

Im sure virgin routers do the same in that they auto bounce you between 2.4GHz and 5GHz to keep a stable connection, least with other virgin boxes they connect via wires so thats better

Just updating to say I bought a bluetooth dongle for 25 quid and after some initial latency issues I've now got the sound synced up with the Echo Dot so all sorted; Cheers anyway, boys. Saved myself a little and have halfway alright sound.

18 hours ago, 54_and_counting said:

5GHz is absolutely shite for travelling further than a few yards, going through walls is just a no chance, if the boxes only work on that band then its an absolutely shite setup they have created, 

Aye it is not ideal.  I think not using the 2.4 ghz band is a technical limitation for streaming tv between boxes.

The Sky Q minis do work as there own mesh network but sky's networking is pretty garbage with poor signal strength.

We're converting one of our spare rooms into a second sitting room. Going to put a TV on the wall. Does anyone know of a way of wirelessly casting the Sky Box from the living room?

We're converting one of our spare rooms into a second sitting room. Going to put a TV on the wall. Does anyone know of a way of wirelessly casting the Sky Box from the living room?
Sky Q with a mini box in the bedroom would be the "official" way.

You can get wireless hdmi transmitters but the last time I looked they were pretty expensive and you'd be limited to watching the same channel.

Another option would be casting from a phone or tablet

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone ha any issues with Apple Podcasts since the iOS upgrade the other day? It can take hours longer for new episodes to appear on that compared to the likes of Spotify, Acast and even iTunes on my laptop. No idea what is going on. Have started using Overcast for now but not a fan and would prefer to go back to Apple Podcasts if it started behaving.

Was putting my xbox one in my series X box just to store it when I realised I've just used the hdmi from the xbox one in the series X, the one from the series X has stickers on it saying ultra speed. Would I see any difference if I changed these cables over?

Was putting my xbox one in my series X box just to store it when I realised I've just used the hdmi from the xbox one in the series X, the one from the series X has stickers on it saying ultra speed. Would I see any difference if I changed these cables over?
Depends on the resolution of the TV and how old the old hdmi is.

It's possible the old cable doesn't support 4k or hdr.