E-Chat Quick Question Thread

forehead7

The last time it happened I found out about the beeps but I couldn't tell what beeps corresponded to which issues. It doesn't sound any different to how it normally sounds, and although the HDD light isn't flashing I listened to that specifically when I had the case open and it made... a sound. I don't know if it was its normal sound or if was otherwise significant, but it was there.
I also took [mention=1702]Mr X[/mention]'s advice and attempted the Ubuntu drive, but it still has the same problem of not sending a signal to the monitor, so it was pointless.

The beeping patterns are usually quite noticeable so it's maybe not got that feature.
Agreed with Mr X, it's a process of elimination now. Remove everything except the essentials for booting.
If there's multiple ram sticks try each stick on its own, remove gpu and try intergrated graphics etc.

Look at the picture, I don't know what any of the bits in it are. There's only one bit of ram. It has a GPU but I'm not actually sure where it is, the fan is for the cpu and... I'm at a loss as to where the other one would be. I've taken some of the cables out and plugged them back in already, but I can do it a bit more thoroughly

Edited by Miguel Sanchez

Look at the picture, I don't know what any of the bits in it are. There's only one bit of ram. It has a GPU but I'm not actually sure where it is, the fan is for the cpu and... I'm at a loss as to where the other one would be. I've taken some of the cables out and plugged them back in already, but I can do it a bit more thoroughly
Take the ram out and put it back in. As you say, try unplugging all the cables and making sure they are plugged in properly.

The other thing you could try is putting a gfx card in but I definitely wouldn't be going out to buy one.

We have a new development (it's still not working normally)

When my last PC packed in it was because the hard drive failed. It was old, so fair enough. I was able to save what files I had on it though because I could plug it in to my new PC with a USB adaptor. I took my current hard drive out and tried connecting it to my laptop. Nothing happened. I tested my old one which I still have and that connected as normal like detachable storage. I plugged my current one in again to see if it made a noise or anything and my laptop shut off and wouldn't turn on. I unplugged the hard drive, turned the laptop on and it when it did it let out a single massive loud beep when I did. What on earth is going on?

1 minute ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

When my last PC packed in it was because the hard drive failed. It was old, so fair enough. I was able to save what files I had on it though because I could plug it in to my new PC with a USB adaptor. I took my current hard drive out and tried connecting it to my laptop. Nothing happened. I tested my old one which I still have and that connected as normal like detachable storage. I plugged my current one in again to see if it made a noise or anything and my laptop shut off and wouldn't turn on. I unplugged the hard drive, turned the laptop on and it when it did it let out a single massive loud beep when I did. What on earth is going on?

Try the Ubuntu USB drive without the hard drive plugged in

48 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Only saw the picture after my last post.
If I was you I'd be disconnecting almost every cable on the motherboard which isn't necessary for booting i.e those in red below (I'm presuming they're all SATA data/power cables). 
The only things I'd have connected would be the HDMI, the ram, the CPU fan, and whatever proprietary power cables go from the power supply to the motherboard (I can't see any standard atx power connectors on the board anyway). Obviously don't go pulling anything out if you're not sure.
If there is display then the hard drive you mentioned above might be the issue.
If there's no display then you know it's either the motherboard, power supply, cpu, ram or gpu. If you don't have spare ram, power supply etc. then it'll be difficult narrow the issue down further.
Some PC's don't have bleeping sounds, they have a blinking light on the front for diagnostics. Might be worth looking at the manual for info on this.

Untitled2.png.341f3c605a4213412c1b58862e82a38f.png.1d22a6123ca0384cca758cabeb2de858.png

2 minutes ago, charger29 said:

Only saw the picture after my last post.
If I was you I'd be disconnecting almost every cable on the motherboard which isn't necessary for booting i.e those in red below (I'm presuming they're all SATA data/power cables). 
The only things I'd have connected would be the HDMI, the ram, the CPU fan, and whatever proprietary power cables go from the power supply to the motherboard (I can't see any standard atx power connectors on the board anyway). Obviously don't go pulling anything out if you're not sure.
If there is display then the hard drive you mentioned above might be the issue.
If there's no display then you know it's either the motherboard, power supply, cpu, ram or gpu. If you don't have spare ram, power supply etc. then it'll be difficult narrow the issue down further.
Some PC's don't have bleeping sounds, they have a blinking light on the front for diagnostics. Might be worth looking at the manual for info on this.

Untitled2.png.341f3c605a4213412c1b58862e82a38f.png.1d22a6123ca0384cca758cabeb2de858.png

f**k it I'll give it one last shot

All of the ones you've circled are connected to the hard drive. What will/should happen if I unplug them and turn it on?

All of the ones you've circled are connected to the hard drive. What will/should happen if I unplug them and turn it on?
It would only boot to the startup screen with the options for BIOS. It would then give an error that their is no OS connected.

1 minute ago, charger29 said:
29 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

It would only boot to the BIOS. It would then give an error that their is no OS connected.

Weird, I replied here and it's gone. Tried it with those cables taken out. The fan came on but nothing else happened. No picture. No other noise that usually happens. 

Weird, I replied here and it's gone. Tried it with those cables taken out. The fan came on but nothing else happened. No picture. No other noise that usually happens. 

The noise you usually hear is presumably the hard drive starting up.
How old is the PC?

If I had to put money on it, I'd guess it's the RAM. Shame you've only got one stick, or you could try swapping them out. Possibly one of the supply lines on the PSU is goosed.

As Mr X gently alluded to, how old is this thing anyway? If it's as old as it looks, it would not be expensive to get a used replacement from your local PC shop; the one near here normally has some old Dell/HP units that they got for free when a local business was upgrading the staff machines.

2 minutes ago, charger29 said:

The noise you usually hear is presumably the hard drive starting up.
How old is the PC?

I'm genuinely surprised by how much noise the hard drive seems to make, I didn't think all the noise it made was that.

Just now, BFTD said:

If I had to put money on it, I'd guess it's the RAM. Shame you've only got one stick, or you could try swapping them out. Possibly one of the supply lines on the PSU is goosed.

As Mr X gently alluded to, how old is this thing anyway? If it's as old as it looks, it would not be expensive to get a used replacement from your local PC shop; the one near here normally has some old Dell/HP units that they got for free when a local business was upgrading the staff machines.

I've had it since August 2018

Just now, Miguel Sanchez said:

I'm genuinely surprised by how much noise the hard drive seems to make, I didn't think all the noise it made was that.

I've had it since August 2018

Was it new then?

f**k it, just give us the make/model number from the case. We could be playing Guess Who? all night  :P

3 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Was it new then?

f**k it, just give us the make/model number from the case. We could be playing Guess Who? all night  :P

It was new, but I always felt a bit off with it. I've never had refurbished tech but this didn't feel brand new even though it was in a manufacturer sealed box. 

Untitled3.png.3cd022dbd23e3b1ff9dfbb73ba27f6a5.png

FFS, I typed out a big reply to this, and the piece of shit editor on this website lost it all when I tried to look at the motherboard picture again  :bairn

The salient points: going by what you've already tried, I'm guessing PSU or RAM. If not them, it's probably the motherboard. Unlikely to be the processor without other parts also being dead.

Looks like the PSU is external and proprietary. You can test it with an multimeter to see if it's actually supplying the voltage/current needed. It might be dying and only supplying enough for the low-power devices. If you know someone else with the same machine, fucking great - borrow their PSU and see what happens. If not, you'd be taking a risk in buying another, considering they seem to cost about £40-£50, and you've no guarantee it'll help.

Your local PC shop can swap the RAM for you and see if that works, but will charge for their time and you'll need to buy more RAM on top of that if that's the problem. It might be worth just buying another stick and trying it out, as it looks like it would cost about £30. But, again, it might not help.

If it's the motherboard, you're reduced to looking on eBay for a replacement that someone's scavenged from a dead machine. It probably wouldn't be worth the money, and you wouldn't get a generic board into that case. Lenovo won't sell you a new board for less than you paid for the machine originally.

If all else fails, you can recover the parts (processor, RAM, hard drive) and put them into a new machine, but frankly they're all low-end parts that aren't really worth keeping for the cash you'd need to spend on a new motherboard and PSU (never pay for a cheap case, people always have a few kicking about).

I'm sure one of us will help with what to buy if you want to swap parts out, but I don't think there's any getting around having to spend a bit of money to find out what's wrong, and possibly ending up having to buy a new machine. Just don't get another of the integrated office-style PCs, as they're an absolute arseache to diagnose!

11 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Sounds like the hard drive is goosed big time, what were you watching or downloading lol

4 minutes ago, 54_and_counting said:

Sounds like the hard drive is goosed big time, what were you watching or downloading lol

Committed suicide after realising his top ten games was full of weeb shit IMO.