E-Chat Quick Question Thread

forehead7

Depend on the hardware in the PC!

If it's got an old 100mb network card then a new cable isn't going to make much difference, if any.

Gigabit network cards are cheap as chips though and that will make a difference - although you'll probably still need the new cable too.

Yeah the hardware is probably antiquated shit. Was enough of a problem just getting Windows 10 installed on it because of how past it it was.

It's needing binned soon any road.

• 3 weeks later...

For anyone looking to move away from Lastpass because of their pricing change or just looking for a password manager in general, I highly recommend Bitwarden

Its open source, free to use and has basically the same functionality as Lastpass, including multi device sync, web extensions and iphone and Android apps

Does anyone have a mac and use a bluetooth mouse with it? I just bought a non-apple bluetooth mouse and I'm having connection issues. Mouse randomly loses connection and doesn't work or starts to lag. Already tried to "reset the bluetooth module" but that hasn't worked.

My work laptop that was Windows 7 had to be swapped for one with Windows 10.

Windows 10 insists that all USBs are encrypted with Bitlocker or must remain read only.

I have an iPod classic that I have always added downloads to on an old PC that runs Windows XP. This PC was only ever connected once to the internet to download iTunes. That was years ago and it has never been connected to the internet since (I use it for old games and iTunes). All music I add to my iPod had been done with this old PC. Amazon downloads were put on a USB and then downloaded to the old PC. From there they were just imported to the (offline) iTunes library and then added to the iPod via the cable. CDs were imported to the library via a disc drive that connects with another USB cable (you can get CDs for less than a quid online, so it's cheap).

The issue here is that the USBs drives, once encrypted with Bitlocker, cannot be read on Windows XP, and USB drives cannot be written to on Windows 10 without being encrypted with Bitlocker.

I have recently bought a few albums and individual songs on Amazon, but now I have no way of getting them on to my old XP PC.

I fear that downloading iTunes on the laptop, if it will even let me (it's a work laptop), will wipe everything that is already on the iPod. Thousands of songs on it were added via CD.

Any idea what I can do here to get the tunes over to the old PC?

Edited by DA Baracus

Windows 10 insists that all USBs are encrypted with Bitlocker or must remain read only.
I have an iPod classic that I have always added downloads to on an old PC that runs Windows XP. This PC was only ever connected once to the internet to download iTunes. That was years ago and it has never been connected to the internet since (I use it for old games and iTunes). All music I add to my iPod had been done with this old PC. Amazon downloads were put on a USB and then downloaded to the old PC. From there they were just imported to the (offline) iTunes library and then added to the iPod via the cable. CDs were imported to the library via a disc drive that connects with another USB cable (you can get CDs for less than a quid online, so it's cheap).
The issue here is that the USBs drives, once encrypted with Bitlocker, cannot be read on Windows XP, and USB drives cannot be written to on Windows 10 without being encrypted with Bitlocker.
I have recently bought a few albums and individual songs on Amazon, but now I have no way of getting them on to my old XP PC.
I fear that downloading iTunes on the laptop, if it will even let me (it's a work laptop), will wipe everything that is already on the iPod. Thousands of songs on it were added via CD.
Can't you log into amazon on the old pc and download the songs there?

2 hours ago, Mr X said:
12 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Can't you log into amazon on the old pc and download the songs there?

No, it isn't connected to the internet and I worry that the anti virus stuff it has won't be up to the job given how long ago it was connected! Plus I don't think I have a cable to connect it.

No, it isn't connected to the internet and I worry that the anti virus stuff it has won't be up to the job given how long ago it was connected! Plus I don't think I have a cable to connect it.
You could burn to CD on the new pc but that's seems like a major faff.

A network drive on one machine that the other could access would work but that needs a network cable for the old pc

On 21/03/2021 at 11:31, DA Baracus said:

Do you use the XP PC for anything else?  If not, does it matter if it is briefly exposed to a bit of malware?  Especially if you are disconnecting it after?

Otherwise can you upload the music files to a cloud service like Google Drive then download them from there?  Even if it;s to a different machine then you can use a USB from there?

Edited by Quiet Riot

My PC is turning on and as far as I can tell is powering up everything as normal - fan spinning, makes the same noises as normal, etc. But it's not registering any hardware. My monitor isn't getting a signal and my mouse isn't lighting up. Anay ideas?

8 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

My PC is turning on and as far as I can tell is powering up everything as normal - fan spinning, makes the same noises as normal, etc. But it's not registering any hardware. My monitor isn't getting a signal and my mouse isn't lighting up. Anay ideas?

Have you got multiple displays? Mine boots up to hdmi even when it isnt on before switching to display port when windows loads.

Try getting into the BIOS when the PC boots up or hitting F8 to see if the boot menu comes up.

5 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Have you got multiple displays? Mine boots up to hdmi even when it isnt on before switching to display port when windows loads.

Try getting into the BIOS when the PC boots up or hitting F8 to see if the boot menu comes up.

I don't, but I've tried plugging it into other displays and with VGA and HDMI cables, nothing. Am I likely to do damage to it if I'm forced it off constantly by holding in the power button?

Ed - tried another keyboard and nothing, and it's not opening up any menus. The hard drive light on the front isn't on either.

Edited by Miguel Sanchez

11 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I don't, but I've tried plugging it into other displays and with VGA and HDMI cables, nothing. Am I likely to do damage to it if I'm forced it off constantly by holding in the power button?

Ed - tried another keyboard and nothing, and it's not opening up any menus. The hard drive light on the front isn't on either.

Turning it off with the power button isnt going to do any damage.

So, you cant get into the BIOS or boot menu?

@Mr X

It might well be in one of those menus but there's nothing showing up on any screen I plug it into, so I don't know.

I'm going to try and get at the hard drive and just check everything's connected. This happened about a year and a half ago as well, it pretty much fixed itself after I unscrewed the heatsink and put it back when I was poking around and having a look. I've tried that this time and nothing, so... time for a look, I suppose.

Edited by Miguel Sanchez

46 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

@Mr X

It might well be in one of those menus but there's nothing showing up on any screen I plug it into, so I don't know.

I'm going to try and get at the hard drive and just check everything's connected. This happened about a year and a half ago as well, it pretty much fixed itself after I unscrewed the heatsink and put it back when I was poking around and having a look. I've tried that this time and nothing, so... time for a look, I suppose.

Yeah, doesnt sound like anything simple, Im afraid. Once you've poked about, you could try downloading a linux distro that will run off a USB stick and see if you can boot into that.

Just now, Mr X said:

Yeah, doesnt sound like anything simple, Im afraid. Once you've poked about, you could try downloading a linux distro that will run off a USB stick and see if you can boot into that.

Now, remember, your name is Homer Thompson. : TheSimpsons

I opened it up, unplugged everything inside and put it all back in. Still nothing. There's a big round watch-style battery connected to something on the motherboard, is it worth trying changing that?

1 minute ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Now, remember, your name is Homer Thompson. : TheSimpsons

I opened it up, unplugged everything inside and put it all back in. Still nothing. There's a big round watch-style battery connected to something on the motherboard, is it worth trying changing that?

That will be the CMOS battery. If you have one it wont hurt to change it. I would try booting into Ubuntu from USB first

https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/create-a-usb-stick-on-windows#1-overview

Is it making any sort of beeping sound when turned on? The number/speed of the beeps can tell you what the issues are.

39 minutes ago, charger29 said:

Is it making any sort of beeping sound when turned on? The number/speed of the beeps can tell you what the issues are.

The last time it happened I found out about the beeps but I couldn't tell what beeps corresponded to which issues. It doesn't sound any different to how it normally sounds, and although the HDD light isn't flashing I listened to that specifically when I had the case open and it made... a sound. I don't know if it was its normal sound or if was otherwise significant, but it was there.

I also took @Mr X's advice and attempted the Ubuntu drive, but it still has the same problem of not sending a signal to the monitor, so it was pointless.

The last time it happened I found out about the beeps but I couldn't tell what beeps corresponded to which issues. It doesn't sound any different to how it normally sounds, and although the HDD light isn't flashing I listened to that specifically when I had the case open and it made... a sound. I don't know if it was its normal sound or if was otherwise significant, but it was there.
I also took [mention=1702]Mr X[/mention]'s advice and attempted the Ubuntu drive, but it still has the same problem of not sending a signal to the monitor, so it was pointless.
Is it a dedicated graphics card? If so, is there onboard graphics you can try?

At this point it's really just process of elimination to work out what's wrong