E-Chat Quick Question Thread

forehead7

17 minutes ago, jimmy boo said:

What would be an idiot proof method of wiping an old laptops hard drive before I recycle it?

Take the drive out and put a few drill holes through it.

OR if you want the laptop intact

Choose Reset this PC in Windows, choose delete all files. Then create a new account and run something in this article.

https://www.raymond.cc/blog/make-your-recoverable-datas-unrecoverable/

• 4 weeks later...

I had a strange thing happen yesterday.

I use a Chromebook and after a long session on the Covid19 thread I closed it and did some gardening. 

A couple of hours later I was on again and tried to use Gmail but got a 400 error.

Long story short, one of my browser permission  settings had barred access to Gmail. Changed and all ok.

I didn't do it.    WTF?

Chromonavirus?

What's the best Android emulator do download onto my laptop to play mobile games on it?
Last time I tried, none of them were particularly good.

I don't believe there's that many so probably worth just trying one and see how it goes.

Bluestacks was generally considered the best but apparently Remix is also good

• 3 weeks later...

Not really a question, just wondering if HP actually sell any ink cartridges for their printers anymore. Got one that must be at least 15 years old and have had no problems, but have always bought their own brand ink as I don't use very much and it seemed worth the extra to guarantee it wouldn't mess up the printer. Just looked at what they're asking now, £136.99 for just the black cartridge without the 3 colour one! Got refilled ones for £19.69 the pair from Stinkyink, decent reviews. 

Not really a question, just wondering if HP actually sell any ink cartridges for their printers anymore. Got one that must be at least 15 years old and have had no problems, but have always bought their own brand ink as I don't use very much and it seemed worth the extra to guarantee it wouldn't mess up the printer. Just looked at what they're asking now, £136.99 for just the black cartridge without the 3 colour one! Got refilled ones for £19.69 the pair from Stinkyink, decent reviews. 
HP always ramp up prices of ink/toner for obsolete models.
They hope you'll end up buying their flimsy plastic shite printers instead.
Epson and Canon aren't quite as bad.

• 3 weeks later...

Looking for help. All the files on my wife’s user profile on a MacBook have been deleted somehow while everyone on my separate profile is in tact.  Does anyone have any idea How his has happened and how to recover these files? They are not in the trash.

• 1 month later...

My IPTV suppliers host got busted the other day, hes starting up again but in all honesty his streams for the Scottish club TVs weren't the best and never worked alot of the time. Has anyone got a subscriber with a good Club TV section?

1 hour ago, Empty It said:

My IPTV suppliers host got busted the other day, hes starting up again but in all honesty his streams for the Scottish club TVs weren't the best and never worked alot of the time. Has anyone got a subscriber with a good Club TV section?

No. Not any more. Pretty sure theyve been targetting those lately

I do know someone who can replace your supplier for a reasonable price

I'll maybe give you a PM at a later date, going to see what this guy comes up with.

Just now, Empty It said:
3 minutes ago, Mr X said:

I'll maybe give you a PM at a later date, going to see what this guy comes up with.

No bother. Its not me, by the way!

Its quite likely the poster who it is will see this and PM you anyway

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve zero experience with them, but need a budget time lapse or video camera to set up and record overnight. Got a leak at work and can’t figure out where it’s coming from each night so need at least 12 hours of footage.

Dont know if a second hand GoPro is best or if there are any better alternatives? Assume I’d also need a big SD card to get a full 12 hours?

I’ve zero experience with them, but need a budget time lapse or video camera to set up and record overnight. Got a leak at work and can’t figure out where it’s coming from each night so need at least 12 hours of footage.
Dont know if a second hand GoPro is best or if there are any better alternatives? Assume I’d also need a big SD card to get a full 12 hours?
Got an old mobile phone lying about? Stick a memory card in that and it should do the trick.

• 2 weeks later...

Best way to watch club tv that requires out of UK IP, I know you can just use a VPN but when the subscription requires an address would registering then using a VPN be a problem without an international address?

On 15/07/2020 at 11:15, Honest_Man#1 said:

In what respect is it difficult to pinpoint?

8 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

In what respect is it difficult to pinpoint?

Think I’ve managed to get it now, but essentially a plantroom of about 5000+ sq metres was regularly having the entire floor flooded with water during the night, leaving no indication of the source.

14 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Think I’ve managed to get it now, but essentially a plantroom of about 5000+ sq metres was regularly having the entire floor flooded with water during the night, leaving no indication of the source.

Leaky expansion vessel and/or pump?

Edited by 8MileBU