E-Chat Quick Question Thread

forehead7

17 hours ago, jimmy boo said:

My HP Pavillion 15 laptop battery (HP K104) is gubbed. HP want £63 for a replacement but i've seen them on Amazon and elsewhere for £23. Would I be taking a chance buying the cheaper alternative in case it's rubbish or are they all much the same anyway? I actually rarely use it for long periods on battery only but would like to have the option than not. 

If you don't regularly rely on having it unplugged I'd take a chance on the non HP version. Check out the reviews on Amazon first, seen one for £12 but the reviews are shite.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ARyee-15-ab038TU-15-ab018TU-15-ab017TU-15-ab016TU/dp/B0796QHGF1/ref=pd_sbs_107_2/259-0487443-5608761?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0796QHGF1&pd_rd_r=ee8e4ff8-8935-4796-b4b0-578eb6940168&pd_rd_w=v7NDv&pd_rd_wg=LLDdy&pf_rd_p=f4a31d1d-8f61-48f5-b6f4-a22ba06df575&pf_rd_r=CH148VYZRFQPXBFRSXC4&psc=1&refRID=CH148VYZRFQPXBFRSXC4

All the non HP ones seem to be made in China except Green Cell which is from Poland which I'm tempted to go for. Don't know why as more than likely the HP ones are made in China.

Have an app on my phone that I get movies.
How do I then get this onto my tv ?
Depends on your tv to be honest. If it's reasonably modern (last 5 years or so) then you should be able to screen mirror, which means the TV will play whatever video and sound your phone is playing. If your TV is older than taht or does thave that feature you may need to invest in a chrome cast or roke stick or similar.

8 hours ago, G_Man1985 said:

Have an app on my phone that I get movies.
How do I then get this onto my tv ?

8 hours ago, spud131 said:

Depends on your tv to be honest. If it's reasonably modern (last 5 years or so) then you should be able to screen mirror, which means the TV will play whatever video and sound your phone is playing. If your TV is older than taht or does thave that feature you may need to invest in a chrome cast or roke stick or similar.

Worth checking that the app supports casting first too, Ive been caught out with that before.

When you are playing something and you can see the controls overlay, check theres an icon that looks like a bit like this

Image result for screencast icon

• 1 month later...

Anyone else had any issues with the Samsung s10 slowing down and not responding when using the camera? It works fine when used through apps like WhatsApp or Facebook etc. The actual camera app just makes the phone unusable for about ten minutes though.

15 hours ago, grumswall said:

Anyone else had any issues with the Samsung s10 slowing down and not responding when using the camera? It works fine when used through apps like WhatsApp or Facebook etc. The actual camera app just makes the phone unusable for about ten minutes though.

I had this the other day.  It seemed to be when you accessed the camera from the lock screen for me.

Also, the fingerprint sensor is utterly shite compared to my OnePlus 6

I have a laptop, Samsung phone, iPhone and iPad in the house, the first two of which connect to my (BT) Wi-Fi no problem.  However, the latter two (i.e. the Apple products) won't log in as the Wi-Fi password (unchanged from factory settings) doesn't seem to be accepted when using them, but it does with the non-Apple products.  Maybe it's just coincidence they're Apple, maybe not.

I've already disconnected the Samsung from the Wi-Fi, selected 'forget network' and then re-selected and successfully logged back in using the same password as attempted by the Apple products.  I have already reset the router and it makes no difference to the problem.

Any ideas wtf could be going on?  :huh: 

Edited by Hedgecutter

I have a laptop, Samsung phone, iPhone and iPad in the house, the first two of which connect to my (BT) Wi-Fi no problem.  However, the latter two (i.e. the Apple products) won't log in as the Wi-Fi password (unchanged from factory settings) doesn't seem to be accepted when using them, but it does with the non-Apple products.  Maybe it's just coincidence they're Apple, maybe not.

I've already disconnected the Samsung from the Wi-Fi, selected 'forget network' and then re-selected and successfully logged back in using the same password as attempted by the Apple products.  I have already reset the router and it makes no difference to the problem.

Any ideas wtf could be going on?  default_huh.png 

Is it a new BT router or an older one?

ETA - forget that, I think I know what it is. Apple devices have a problem with connecting to WiFi that is dual speed. You need to split the WiFi into one 2ghz channel and one 5ghz

Does anyone else's Sky Go app actually work on a laptop? I've had the app on my Windows 10 laptop for  few years now and it seems every 30 seconds the picture goes way below SD and blurry and unwatchable. It then returns to crystal clear for a bit then goes crap again. BT picture on their website is usually fine so it can't be a router/connection issue. It's so annoying it's preferrable to watch Sky games on my IPTV on the laptop rather than the bloody Sky service i'm paying for....grrrrrrr.

Does anyone else's Sky Go app actually work on a laptop? I've had the app on my Windows 10 laptop for  few years now and it seems every 30 seconds the picture goes way below SD and blurry and unwatchable. It then returns to crystal clear for a bit then goes crap again. BT picture on their website is usually fine so it can't be a router/connection issue. It's so annoying it's preferrable to watch Sky games on my IPTV on the laptop rather than the bloody Sky service i'm paying for....grrrrrrr.
Use chrome or Firefox and bin the app

29 minutes ago, scoobles said:
1 hour ago, jimmy boo said:

Use chrome or Firefox and bin the app

The reason I went with the app was that it wouldn't work on any browser and Sky refused to sort it going by endless threads on Skys own help forums.

14 minutes ago, Mr X said:

The browser used to use silverlight which died a long time ago.

Stupid question, but have you got the latest version of the app?

I was hoping you would chip in Mr X😀 It was maybe a couple of years ago I installed it on my laptop and every time I open it, it says checking for updates which occassionaly it does but more often than not it doesn't so i've always assumed it is the latest version.

11 hours ago, jimmy boo said:

I was hoping you would chip in Mr X😀 It was maybe a couple of years ago I installed it on my laptop and every time I open it, it says checking for updates which occassionaly it does but more often than not it doesn't so i've always assumed it is the latest version.

Not used the windows app, Im afraid. The only suggestions on google are update your graphic and sound card drivers and try changing the monitor resolution