E-Chat Quick Question Thread

forehead7

6 minutes ago, grazza said:

Shopping around fora premium  VPN as current subscription is expiring at end of the month looking at pro and cons on each each option. 

I tried out golden frog a few weeks ago. It seems pretty decent and is relatively cheap

NordVPN are doing a really good offer if  you're prepared to sign up long term. Theyre Liverpool FCs official VPN :huh:

Private Internet Access (PIA) is decent.
£6ish a month or under £40 for the year.
5 devices allowed at same time.
No throttles on torrents or streaming.
Loads of servers in 30+ countries.
Been using them 3 years and no hassle.

Just Google "PIA vpn" if that's what you're looking for

The PIA sounds decent but going on their website its a bit of a mess doesn't give me confidence from first impressions.price tho for year is good though.

I'm currently with express vpn seems to do the job but may see if i can do trial on nord vpn to compare.

19 hours ago, scoobles said:

Private Internet Access (PIA) is decent.
£6ish a month or under £40 for the year.
5 devices allowed at same time.
No throttles on torrents or streaming.
Loads of servers in 30+ countries.
Been using them 3 years and no hassle.

Just Google "PIA vpn" if that's what you're looking for

I had that but it doesn't work for accessing UK gambling sites or BBC programmes anymore from Spain, which was my main reason for getting it.

I had that but it doesn't work for accessing UK gambling sites or BBC programmes anymore from Spain, which was my main reason for getting it.
The one I mentioned, which I is actually called vyper vpn seemed to working for geolocation stuff. Certainly I could access US Netflix with no problems. Speed was decent too.

On 04/01/2019 at 10:51, grazza said:

taken the plunge and gone for nord great deal for next 9 hours wherr you get  3 years for $107.55 so works out $2.99 a month

Went with that deal too but it's VAT on top if you let them know you're in the UK, not sure if that is avoidable. In Lanzarote at the moment and it's working a dream on UK gambling sites, bit random on BBC iplayer.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at getting my wife a laptop, for general work use, internet browsing, Steam gaming and games like Sims etc. Had a look at gaming laptops but they seemed to be aimed at games more similar to CoD, Skyrim etc and obviously command a higher price. Don’t want to be paying more than £650-700 but preferably less.
Any help re what spec I should be aiming for, maybe even a link to the full package lol.

Many thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone suggest a reliable method of sorting DNS errors? Comes up as DNS Probe Finished No Internet on Chrome and just a general "unable to access that site" on Firefox.

I've tried typing in all the command line things like : ipconfig /flushdns, netsh int ip set dns etc etc, tried clearing browser cache, and tried setting DNS server to  8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4

It's only my laptop as my phone / table / smart TV don't have the issue. Laptop is less than a year old.

17 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

It's only my laptop as my phone / table / smart TV don't have the issue. Laptop is less than a year old.

So you're connected to the wifi/ethernet but can't access any websites on the laptop?

All those other devices are connecting through the same internet connection? What happens if you set up a hotspot on your phone (using 3/4G) and connect through that? Check your HOSTS file in C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc as well in case something in there is blocking it. Or maybe it's firewall related?

Edited by Ginaro

55 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

So you're connected to the wifi/ethernet but can't access any websites on the laptop?

All those other devices are connecting through the same internet connection? What happens if you set up a hotspot on your phone (using 3/4G) and connect through that? Check your HOSTS file in C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc as well in case something in there is blocking it. Or maybe it's firewall related?

It's sporadic, and as soon as I disconnect then reconnect to Wifi it sorts itself for about 5 minutes and then everything goes down again.

I think firewall might be the culprit, will have a look.

2 hours ago, Ginaro said:

I've browsed for half an hour using my phone as hotspot and not one issue. Prior to that on Wifi I'd turned the firewall off and that worked  for a few minutes but then the DNS errors kicked back in again.

Found that file, all it says is this

image.png.829c07a5e21dd9afc4a9673879295156.png

6 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:
3 hours ago, Ginaro said:

I've browsed for half an hour using my phone as hotspot and not one issue. Prior to that on Wifi I'd turned the firewall off and that worked  for a few minutes but then the DNS errors kicked back in again.

Found that file, all it says is this

Ok, that hosts file looks normal, just wondered if something was being blocked by it. So it would seem to only be the laptop+wifi combination where it goes wrong.

If you go to the command prompt and do "ipconfig /all" it lists all the info about your network adapters, including IP and DNS settings. Try that before and after the DNS problem to see if you notice any changes in the settings? Maybe log in to your router's control panel on your phone, and look for a device list and again see if anything changes?

Also google "dns errors after 5 minutes" and see if there's anything else you could try.

• 3 weeks later...

How many folk on here have crossed the great divide and swapped from Apple to Android? Is it a simple process to take everything onto my new phone from my old one? Any help, tips or tricks greatly appreciated.

Im moving from the iPhone SE to the OnePlus6T mainly because my phone operator has entered administration and thought it was a good reason for a change.

Edited by Adam101
thanks Jimmy :)

13 hours ago, Adam101 said:

How many folk on here have crossed the great divide and swapped from Apple to Android? Is it a simple process to take everything onto my new phone from my old one? Any help, tips or ticks greatly appreciated.

Im moving from the iPhone SE to the OnePlus6T mainly because my phone operator has entered administration and thought it was a good reason for a change.

You can get cream for that.

Does anyone make small form factor Android phones any more that aren't absolutely extortionate?

There are plenty of basic Android phones that do all I need them to do for between £100 and £150 but they're all huge. I want something about the size of an iPhone SE.

1 hour ago, Gaz said:

Does anyone make small form factor Android phones any more that aren't absolutely extortionate?

There are plenty of basic Android phones that do all I need them to do for between £100 and £150 but they're all huge. I want something about the size of an iPhone SE.

The earlier samsungs like the s3 etc arent that big but do a job

• 4 weeks later...