E-Chat Quick Question Thread

forehead7

• 3 weeks later...
Cheers for your help. Don't have too much tech knowledge with TV's to be honest, but I'll show it to someone who does, and hopefully it'll be one of those two things. Saves me buying another TV.

http://www.justanswer.com/tv-repair/75oiv-defective-tv-sony-kdl-40bx420-here-s-happening-tv.html

May be boned

Probably been asked on before a few times. It's to do with broadband, wifi, routers ect.

With Virginmedia, no complaints broadband has been great even if I've not been reaching the full 150mbps. Long story short I'm living up in the converted loft for a short period of time and the mbps isn't too great. At some points I'm still getting 20mbps on the PS4 and thats with another PS4 in the house along with the tivo box being used and a few mobiles and tablets connected up but a lot of the time I'm struggling to get beyond 5mbps. The wireless router is a few years old now and there are no hardware updates available for it, its a d-link 300 mbps one. Is it worth me buying another one to see if that will improve the wifi reach? I seen this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00HEKKB0I/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1AUCPBF2P18HS and it looks decent for the price. Even when I'm moving back downstairs I'll be looking to get more out of my broadband even though on average it's about 30mbps on the ps4 and even more on the pc because of the dual broadband.

Is that the way to go or is there another way I can boost the WIFI? Bro in law was talking about running cables up through the house to go directly into it but theres flooring down and it's probably not going to be easy to access and worth the hassle.

5 hours ago, Deeside said:

Use Powerline Ethernet adaptors connected to an access point. Basically it sends your network signals through your power lines in the house. Connect one end to the router and another to an access point elsewhere in the house. Some POE adaptors have built in WiFi also.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-WPA4220KIT-Powerline-Configuration-Smartphone/dp/B00DHB2T44/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1471398543&sr=8-1&keywords=powerline+wifi

Or connect the devices direct to the powerline, or through a small network hub

10 hours ago, Deeside said:

Use Powerline Ethernet adaptors connected to an access point. Basically it sends your network signals through your power lines in the house. Connect one end to the router and another to an access point elsewhere in the house. Some POE adaptors have built in WiFi also.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-WPA4220KIT-Powerline-Configuration-Smartphone/dp/B00DHB2T44/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1471398543&sr=8-1&keywords=powerline+wifi

4 hours ago, Mr X said:

Or connect the devices direct to the powerline, or through a small network hub

Cheers lads. 

That looks like a decent bit of kit and pretty straight forward. Just need to make sure the wiring up here is on the same circuit as the rest of the house but pretty sure it is.

I currently have an iPhone 6 and I am going to get rid of it next month.  I paid a shop to unlock the phone.  When I prepare it to sell, if I wipe the phone's memory will it still be unlocked, or will it lock to the first sim used?

I currently have an iPhone 6 and I am going to get rid of it next month.  I paid a shop to unlock the phone.  When I prepare it to sell, if I wipe the phone's memory will it still be unlocked, or will it lock to the first sim used?

Remain unlocked is the usual outcome. Any time i have unlocked a phone i punt it back to factory then reinstall. Always find an unlock without can cause issues further down.

When viewing web pages on Chrome, I've always went back a page by using the backspace arrow. Now, however, this doesn't appear to work, with a pop-up bit telling to press Alt + left arrow to go back.

I've had a scout around settings and online but can't seem to find a way to reset this. Anyone know if it's possible / how to?

Just got asked for a password to sign in as admin on my laptop, never before. Got a hint for it "him". Got nowhere, never set a password for it. Tried everything, bios, safemode etc., no joy so stuck it on factory reset. Does it sound like a virus or just a worn out laptop?

P.S. Wouldn't complete factory reset, think it's fucked. Any recommendations for future proof (ish) specs for a new laptop just used for browsing and streaming? Thinking of Sony or Toshiba as they've been reliable for me.

Just got asked for a password to sign in as admin on my laptop, never before. Got a hint for it "him". Got nowhere, never set a password for it. Tried everything, bios, safemode etc., no joy so stuck it on factory reset. Does it sound like a virus or just a worn out laptop?

Is it a 2nd hand laptop or brand new (to you)?

20 hours ago, Swarley said:

Is it a 2nd hand laptop or brand new (to you)?

It was second hand but I've had it for years without needing a password. It was beginning to fall apart anyway, ordered a new one.

• 3 weeks later...

OK, I've managed to successfully raggle my wall in preparation for putting the TV on the wall.  I had been informed by my mate that I can use a Sky Eye type thing so I can put the box elsewhere and plug the other part of the Sky Eye into the TV and it will work.  I'm starting to think that might not be true as everywhere I've looked online says that the Sky Eye is only for additional TV's, not the primary one.  Can anyone shed any light on how I can do this?

Unless there's a new one recently that uses your wifi or bluetooth, then I used the old style one.

For it, it doesn't matter if it's the primary one or not, but it works through the AV cable so there'd be no HD on the one you're using it for. They're niggly b*****d things though because if you use a splitter or if the cable runs too long the box doesn't get the return signal from the eye to control it.

Spend some cash, and get Sky Q with a secondary box which DOES work over wifi instead.