AFC Wimbledon....

KingfaetheSooth

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems like a good season to move to London - football all over the place! Essex and Kingston (baw hair away from Wimbledon) are the options.

Wimbledon actually play in Kingston (they own Kingstonian's ground, natch, contradicting my earlier coomment about them not having any assets) is that helps.

Yeah, it's a fantastic achievement for the club, and the fans.

What I'd be interested to see is their budget for wages compared to that of others in the leagues that they have come through to get this far in nine years. It must have been bigger than most teams every year though, surely?

Not sure about earlier seasons in the Combined Counties and Ryman leagues, but I doubt AFCW's budget is in the top half dozen of this season's conference. I think they managed this with very much a mid table budget.

I just presumed that coming through something like six (?) leagues in nine years must mean that some serious money was spent on getting some decent quality players in.

I was aware that Crawley Town's budget for the season was massive compared to the rest of the BSP, but wasn't aware how far behind AFCW were in comparison.

With regards to budgets, we were estimated to have the 14th biggest budget in this season Blue Square Bet Conference - though these things are never an exact science. We've certainly had an advantage in the CCL and the Ryman Leagues - though there was the odd big spender in there too! (Withdean 2000 and Wallingford had bigger budgets in the first season in the CCL.)

As a Swindon fan, lookign forward to it, loads of southern teams, as well as ones listed (oxford more then any other game) also southern sides like Bristol Rovers, Cheltenham and Plymouth

Bring it on!

Delighted for Wimbledon, their climb up the pyramid is a great football story.

Cheers Waspie - much appreciated!

The FA said football fans couldn't run a bath and that reforming a team such as Wimbledon Town was not in the wider interests of football - with over 500 regular volunteers, more than 30 adult and youth teams, several fair play awards, five promotions, strong integration into the community, financial stability and now promotion to the Football League - I think AFC Wimbledon have proved that the FA blazers were wrong!

It just goes to show what can be achieved with good football governance in the Board Room, excellent communication, planning and strategy not to mention a togetherness between supporters, management and players that many clubs envy.

We have an absolutely superb CEO in Eric Samuelson who works for £1 a year and has developed a fantastic relationship with an amazing manager in Terry Brown. Hats of to our young squad too who have defied the odds - our budget was 14th in the Blue Square Bet Conference. BRING ON THE FOOTBALL LEAGUE!!

A short video of the penalty shoot-out below if you or anyone else is interested. Lots of press coverage out there too!

The FA said football fans couldn't run a bath and that reforming a team such as Wimbledon Town was not in the wider interests of football - with over 500 regular volunteers, more than 30 adult and youth teams, several fair play awards, five promotions, strong integration into the community, financial stability and now promotion to the Football League - I think AFC Wimbledon have proved that the FA blazers were wrong!

It just goes to show what can be achieved with good football governance in the Board Room, excellent communication, planning and strategy not to mention a togetherness between supporters, management and players that many clubs envy.

We have an absolutely superb CEO in Eric Samuelson who works for £1 a year and has developed a fantastic relationship with an amazing manager in Terry Brown. Hats of to our young squad too who have defied the odds - our budget was 14th in the Blue Square Bet Conference. BRING ON THE FOOTBALL LEAGUE!!

A short video of the penalty shoot-out below if you or anyone else is interested. Lots of press coverage out there too!

Hopefully in the Championship within the next 6 years. :)

I remember detesting the "original" Wimbledon (can't even remember why now!) but I'm absolutely delighted for AFC. Some great scenes there :)

• 1 month later...

From the BBC's Michael Crick on Twitter: 'A colleague reminds me Glen Mulcaire scored the first ever goal for AFC Wimbledon, in a friendly back in July 2002.'

• 3 years later...

Archived