AFC Wimbledon....

KingfaetheSooth

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

YASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! :D

Gotta feel for whoever lost right enough, to play 46 games in the league, then playoffs, then the final all the way to penalties...effectively going as far as possible without actually getting promoted. That's going to hurt the Luton players and fans for a long, long time.

BUT C'MON THE AFCCCCCCCCC! Back in the Football League! :D

Yeah, it's a fantastic achievement for the club, and the fans.

What I'd be interested to see is their budget for wages compared to that of others in the leagues that they have come through to get this far in nine years. It must have been bigger than most teams every year though, surely?

Yeah, it's a fantastic achievement for the club, and the fans.

What I'd be interested to see is their budget for wages compared to that of others in the leagues that they have come through to get this far in nine years. It must have been bigger than most teams every year though, surely?

Not sure about earlier seasons in the Combined Counties and Ryman leagues, but I doubt AFCW's budget is in the top half dozen of this season's conference. I think they managed this with very much a mid table budget.

Based on what? It's a fan-owned club with no assets. Terry Brown has already asserted that they'll have amongst the lowest budget in the league next season. It was certainly comfortably lower than Luton's and absolutely dwarfed by Crawley's.

a lot of London/M25/Home Counties teams in League Two next term: Wimbledon, Barnet, Dagenham, Gillingham, Southend, Aldershot, Northampton, Oxford, maybe Stevenage...

Lot of good away days for the Dons there. The fourth division is normally a repository for perennial Northern strugglers, next season has a real southern feel to it, unusually.

Based on what? It's a fan-owned club with no assets. Terry Brown has already asserted that they'll have amongst the lowest budget in the league next season. It was certainly comfortably lower than Luton's and absolutely dwarfed by Crawley's.

Accrington and Macc Town will really give AFCW a run for their (lack of) money

I just presumed that coming through something like six (?) leagues in nine years must mean that some serious money was spent on getting some decent quality players in.

I was aware that Crawley Town's budget for the season was massive compared to the rest of the BSP, but wasn't aware how far behind AFCW were in comparison.

I just presumed that coming through something like six (?) leagues in nine years must mean that some serious money was spent on getting some decent quality players in.

They obviously had a vastly larger fanbase than the average Combined Counties club. Being able to pay people at all is a significant advantage at that level. Don't underestimate what the draw of the club itself is capable of though: Danny Kedwell turned down a big-bucks move to Crawley last summer.

a lot of London/M25/Home Counties teams in League Two next term: Wimbledon, Barnet, Dagenham, Gillingham, Southend, Aldershot, Northampton, Oxford, maybe Stevenage...

Lot of good away days for the Dons there. The fourth division is normally a repository for perennial Northern strugglers, next season has a real southern feel to it, unusually.

As a Swindon fan, lookign forward to it, loads of southern teams, as well as ones listed (oxford more then any other game) also southern sides like Bristol Rovers, Cheltenham and Plymouth

I had a lot of time for the Original Crazy Gang back in the 80s. What they achieved back then was nothing short of amazing and I'm sure the likes of Harry Bassett, Alan Cork, Lawrie Sanchez and Wally Downes who were there for that metoric rise through divisions will be pleased to see them back in the FL in such a short space of time.

Fucking brilliant, Wimbledon have been the biggest story in British football over the past decade.

Five promotions in nine years, three in four since Terry Brown arrived. And as said above, whereas in the early years they had the advantage of bigger crowds and resources, that hasn't been the case at this level, Brown just seems to be an outstanding manager and the club as a whole is well run.

I'm made up for them.

Seems like a good season to move to London - football all over the place! Essex and Kingston (baw hair away from Wimbledon) are the options.

Really pleased for them, a great story. And a big GIRUY to Luton - horrible club who've shown once again they are not a League club

Archived