AFC Wimbledon....

KingfaetheSooth

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have come to the view that as we will have to play the franchise at some time, the sooner the better. The first time is going to be hard for many people, but 8 years since AFCW were formed, things have moved on for Wimbledon fans. There are still many (myself included) in the 'never forgive, never forget' camp but I imagine the number of AFCW fans who will boycott the fixture will be relatively small. (I say relatively small it will be in the hundreds and they will be vocal)

There were certainly a few old Wimbledon FC fans who have continued to watch the MK Dons, but their numbers have dwindled. I would imagine that the number of old Wimbledon fans who watch them regularly at home is now well under 100. Quite a few have returned to watch AFC Wimbledon in recent seasons. Indeed a well-known Wimbledon FC fan who continued to watch MK was spotted at an AFC Wimbledon home game only a few weeks ago for the first time - it transpires that she had stopped receiving subsidised train fares for traveling to Milton Keynes (from the MK Chairman Pete Winkelman) and as a result was no longer watching them.

There is still a lot of animosity towards those that went to watch MK Dons - families were split - I know of two brothers who went opposite ways for example. A few have been ostracised and would not be welcome back - but those that have returned have (in the main) been made welcome.

As to the name, Yoss has it pretty much spot-on. When we approached the London FA to start the club in 2002, we tried to get the club to be named FC Wimbledon - this was turned down as being too similar to Wimbledon FC - who still existed at that point. On the spot, it was decided to go for AFC Wimbledon - the other suggestion was Real Wimbledon. :D Some AFCW fans would like to see the name changed back to Wimbledon FC and some see the AFC pre-fix as a badge of honour. One suggestion has been to change the name when we get back into the football league as that will be a significant milestone.

As to this seasons FA Cup match, I'm not commenting until after the two replays! :P

AFC Wimbledon beat Alty 2-0 last night to leapfrog creepy Crawley and go back to the top of the Blue Square Bet Conference. Good times! :)

Cheers for all that. Quite interesting.

Looking at the vidiprinter on the beeb, it has the penalties as:

Stevenage score: 0-1

MK Dons score: 1-1

Stevenage score: 1-2

MK Dons score: 2-2

Stevenage score: 2-3

MK Dons miss: 2-3

Stevenage score: 2-4

MK Dons score: 3-4

Stevenage score: 3-5

Now, shouldn't the penalty shoot out end there, or have the rules changed? :unsure:

It continues anyway:

MK Dons score: 4-5

Stevenage score: 4-6

MK Dons miss: 4-6

Again, shouldn't it stop there? :unsure:

But continues:

Stevenage miss: 4-6

MK Dons score: 5-6

Stevenage miss: 5-6

MK Dons score: 6-6

Stevenage score: 6-7

It has it finishing there. :unsure:

Maybe I care too much. :P

Ebbsfleet 2-2 Wimbledon going into extra time. Three goals in the first twenty minutes and Ebbsfleet had the better of it until the last twenty seconds, when Wimbledon equalised.

Top marks to the Al-Jazeera commentary as well. They must literally be in with the fans, because the mics are picking up stuff that would make Winston Churchill blush.

But of a tight squeeze that, but well done in the end. Would have felt slightly embarrassing if they'd fucked it up as well after all that talk about the next round.

But of a tight squeeze that, but well done in the end. Would have felt slightly embarrassing if they'd fucked it up as well after all that talk about the next round.

I think it was always set up for only one of them to get through.

Had MK Dons won, I'm not sure AFC Wimbledon would have done what they did tonight. I'm not saying they would have thrown the game, but it would have been such a weight on their minds.

Hi all, Luton fan in peace, just had a read through the thread, its great to see so many AFC Wimbledon fans/followers, I too was disgusted back by the whole move, Ive only seen AFC Dons play once, back in 2004 away to Dunstable in the FA cup winning 3-0, best bit was a 30 ft sliding tackle by a male streaker on the linesman, knocked him clean off his feet haha! ive followed their progress and have to say they are doing great this season, keep it up, I really hope you win the play offs (did I hear they are not at Wembley this year?)

Ive seen the fakes once too, Luton beat them 1-0, and Luton fans even sang AFC WIMBLEDON throughout the gamebiggrin.gif, I boycotted the away game, Winkleman is not getting none of my money! Im glad to say Luton won that 4-1.

I love the Hells Bells picture, shes great aint she, even for a Torquay fan lol

I have to say well done to Steveange , whats a shame for the frenzied masses at MK.

Really happy to hear Winklemans money is also drying up! stopping subsidiced rail fares, he'll stop handing out free tickets to school kids soon.

NO TO FRANCHISE.

Archived