17 Cambridge United 8 2 3 3 10 7 3 9

18 Forest Green Rovers 8 2 3 3 9 11 -2 9

19 Eastbourne Borough 8 2 2 4 15 18 -3 8

20 Histon 8 2 2 4 9 14 -5 8

21 Hayes & Yeading United 8 2 1 5 10 20 -10 7

22 Kettering Town 8 1 3 4 7 11 -4 6

23 Bath City 8 1 3 4 7 14 -7 6

24 Altrincham 8 0 1 7 4 17 -13 1

Thought, i better get this one in now as the mighty Dons play Luton and Crawley next up! :D

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A few years ago a decent conference playing budget (annually) was 3/4 of a million quid.

I'd imagine it's at least 3 times that figure now. The standard in the conference is improving every year and with that improvement in standard, is also an improvement in player wages.

I've been pleasantly surprised how well my team Newport have started in that league. Actually, all the promoted sides have started pretty well this term.

I'd expect the Wombles to finish in the play offs but I'll be surprised if they actually win the league.

Its quite sad seeing some of the names in that division now. I remember my dad taking me to some of them when Burnley played them when I was a nipper back in the early 90's.

Good luck to AFC Wimbledon, getting out of that league. I count 11 former league sides in that division this year.

It's difficult to get out of, but the teams that get into the leagues tend to do quite well.

Serious question, what is your budget like compared to the rest?

Not totally sure - I reckon AFCW are about mid-table budget-wise and certainly well behind the likes of Crawley (who are spending silly amounts of money) and Luton who have the biggest crowds in the division. I would put the playing and management budget in the region of £650K per year. but we'll see the figures shortly. I reckon the budget will be fairly similar to the one at Palmerston FWIW. The budgets in the Conference range from £1.5M+ to £150K pre season!! One of the biggest changes AFCW faced was playing players for 48 weeks of the year instead of 39 weeks!

AFC Wimbledon have gone full-time this season, (though to be fair many of the players were full-time last season) with mainly younger players and a fairly small squad. Where the club have invested well IMO is in things like a club chef, fitness coach, medical facilities, performance monitoring equipment, weights room, sports psychologist, a good scouting network for new players and the opposition etc etc. The players have basically been given the platform & infrastructure they would at a club much higher the pyramid - and so far it seems to be working. I'd be delighted with getting to the play-offs - I'll be amazed (and obviously delighted) if we win the league.

Good stuff, hope to see them win it this year.

Oh and you'll probably be visited on this thread soon by that obnoxious little Livingston w****r, the one with curry and cider in his username...

Cheers mate.

A few years ago a decent conference playing budget (annually) was 3/4 of a million quid.

I'd imagine it's at least 3 times that figure now. The standard in the conference is improving every year and with that improvement in standard, is also an improvement in player wages.

I've been pleasantly surprised how well my team Newport have started in that league. Actually, all the promoted sides have started pretty well this term.

I'd expect the Wombles to finish in the play offs but I'll be surprised if they actually win the league.

I reckon the budgets have come down quite drastically in the last few seasons. I imagine that only Luton and Crawley will be spending £1.5M+ - though there will be a few in the £1M region.

I imagine Newport have a bigger budget than AFCW, though not as good a manager. :P I'll also be amazed if we win the league.

Hopefully they win the league and continue their rise back to the top. Would love to be at the game when they finally get a chance to play MK Dons (And hopefully hammer them) :D

Cheers fella.

Are AFCW still part time?

No - see post above

Got to agree it would be good to see AFC Wimbledon in the Football League after coming up the leagues so fast

Cheers

Good luck to AFC Wimbledon, getting out of that league. I count 11 former league sides in that division this year.

It's difficult to get out of, but the teams that get into the leagues tend to do quite well.

Cheers again!

I make it 13, 14 if you count Gateshead.

I missed Barrow and I'll need to check on Gateshead - for my own education !

EDIT : I don't think you can count Gateshead. The original team was disbanded and reformed in 1977, after a 4 year hiatus. Thereafter it has only played in the non-leagues.

It is very much seen as a continuation of the original club, though, and claims the history of the old club. I'd pretty much see them as the same team as the one unjustly flung out the football league in 1960, just re-constituted a wee bit.

They have ambitious plans for a new ground and have just gone full time, so it wouldn't surprise me if they returned to the FL in a few years time. It's a very well run club these days.

So do you think Gretna 2008 are ex SPL etc?

I don't really have an opinion either way. From memory they;re a new team formed by the Gretna supporters.

If we're being uber-pedantic, AFC Wombles, Barrow (went bust 1999, re-formed as a new company, relegated to conference north in their new guise), and Newport Co (went bust April 1989, re-formed in some tiny pub league five levels below Division 4 in August 1989 as Newport AFC, didn't re-assume the County name til 1999) aren't the original league teams either.

Continuity however is claimed by these clubs supporters and officials.

Does it really matter?

Hope they get promoted its horrible that clubs can get bought over by scummy franchise outfits like MK Dons.

Without going into this whole debate again, they weren't bought over by another club, it was the existing owners who decided to relocate.

Got beat 3-0 by Luton at Kenilworth Road last night in front of over 7,000 fans.

Aye it was a sore one. Shocking defending for the first two goals, though both 'goals' might have been disallowed for fouls on another day and the Luton keeper made a couple of top drawer saves.

I'm not as despondent as I expected after a 3-0 defeat. Good luck to Luton, I have a lot of time for them and hope they win the league if the Wombles come up short - I reckon they will. ;)

Big home game this coming Thursday against big-spending Crawley Town - another defeat would be a blow - but not the end of the world.

Onwards and upwards - the pressure is off now Wimbledon are not top and we'll get our league place back sooner rather than later - though probably not this season IMVHO. :ph34r:

Archived