Out of the mouth of babes...

kiwififer

Spent some quality bonding time with my 11 year old at the weekend, teaming up to rip the piss out of the wife for claiming that ivor the engine was one of Thomas the Tank engine's mates. Fairly low level faux pas which she made worse by doubling down and insisting we look up. 
Jones the Steam likes this.

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

We don't live together, so this exchange took place via Whatsapp -

Her - "I'm off to bed soon"

Me - "Ok, goodnight"

Her - "I'M NOT GOING JUST YET!!!! 😡😡😡"

Eh? :blink:

Got to say, I'm with her on that one!

14 hours ago, hk blues said:

Got to say, I'm with her on that one!

Surely in this context the whole point of "i'm going to bed soon" is to end the current conversation in a way that allows the sender to wind down and both parties to exchange pleasantries before going to sleep? 

11 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

Surely in this context the whole point of "i'm going to bed soon" is to end the current conversation in a way that allows the sender to wind down and both parties to exchange pleasantries before going to sleep? 

Possibly, but not surely. It's like somebody saying I need to be going soon and then you immediately bring their coats. 

11 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
13 minutes ago, hk blues said:
Possibly, but not surely. It's like somebody saying I need to be going soon and then you immediately bring their coats. 

Maybe if folk would just say what they mean.....

I'm not sure where the confusion between soon and now lies.  

16 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I dunno about you but if I tell someone "I need to be going soon" it's me trying to politely tell them to begin to finish up whatever they are doing / saying as i'm wanting to be on my way.

Just now, Todd_is_God said:

I dunno about you but if I tell someone "I need to be going soon" it's me trying to politely tell them to begin to finish up whatever they are doing / saying as i'm wanting to be on my way.

Agreed.  My point still stands. 

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

Well because if "soon" doesnr neccesitate the same actions as "now" then there is literally no point in saying it

It doesn't necessitate the same actions as "now" at all.  As per the previous poster's valid point, soon is used as a polite clue to start winding things down, not to put an immediate stop to them.  

That's why I said the poster's GF was right to be miffed at the guy ending the chat when he did.