Personalised Number Plates

mid-table

6 minutes ago, superbigal said:

I used to have EG04LAN but the rozzers had f**k all else to do but stop me. It got sold for a small profit.

If I was a copper anyone with "Ego" in their number plate would be getting pulled over in fact I would pull you over let you go and pull you over again once I caught up with you.

I was always adamant I would never get a private plate (because they are for wanks) until I had a browse through the DVLA website one day and found one that matched my surname pretty well. Ended up bidding for it through an auction and won, but I know anyone sitting behind me on the motorway will be thinking what a w**k. Quite happy I’ve got it now and will keep it for the rest of my driving life, if for whatever reason I wanted to sell it on it would go for roughly what I paid for it. 

Anyone with a plate that starts ‘W33’ is instantly marked out as a weapon. Used to work with a guy who had a plate with that plus his initials after it, and he was about 5’ 12” and 90 kilograms. 

There’s a scheme burd from round about where I stay who has an old style Renault Clio that sounds like a tumble dryer trying to take off, with the plate ‘W33 COW’, which I imagine actually flatters her. 

1 hour ago, IrishBhoy said:

I was always adamant I would never get a private plate (because they are for wanks) until I had a browse through the DVLA website one day and found one that matched my surname pretty well. Ended up bidding for it through an auction and won, but I know anyone sitting behind me on the motorway will be thinking what a w**k. Quite happy I’ve got it now and will keep it for the rest of my driving life, if for whatever reason I wanted to sell it on it would go for roughly what I paid for it. 

The wife bought me one, got it changed over and handed me the plates, so didn’t have a lot of choice. Not really my thing but hey ho. Still can’t fathom out why they bother people so much though

11 minutes ago, heedthebaa said:

The wife bought me one, got it changed over and handed me the plates, so didn’t have a lot of choice. Not really my thing but hey ho. Still can’t fathom out why they bother people so much though

Aye, in the grand scheme of things they are pretty inoffensive. I think some people still see it as a vulgar way of showing you have money, which may have been true 15 or 20 years ago but definitely not nowadays. 

2 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

Aye, in the grand scheme of things they are pretty inoffensive. I think some people still see it as a vulgar way of showing you have money, which may have been true 15 or 20 years ago but definitely not nowadays. 

There is that, but I'm more insulted by being asked to join in the pretence that the random jumble of letters and numbers looks like anything other than that. No matter the font or spacing  used.

18 minutes ago, heedthebaa said:

DSC_0935.JPG

3 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

Think it was £300

5 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

There is that, but I'm more insulted by being asked to join in the pretence that the random jumble of letters and numbers looks like anything other than that. No matter the font or spacing  used.

That’s very true, you need to have a relaxed attitude towards the spelling of names to be able to decipher some of the plates. Don’t want to say the full name or plate number as it might be enough to identify him, but a guy I know has the surname McCulloch and a plate that is supposed to resemble that name. It has 3 numbers in it which are obsolete, and none of the other letters are an ‘L’, and two of them are ‘M’. 

I genuinely had no clue  it was a private registration for months until he told me he had bought it himself, for a quite ridiculous price. Don’t think he was too pleased when I burst out laughing in his face and instantly went to find the rest of the work to tell them :lol: