Unpopular opinions.

3 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

If it takes a wedding for all of your mates to have a great time together then perhaps you're not such good mates after all.

I've had decent times at weddings, but generally better, more memorable times with mates outwith weddings. Wedding invitations are like drawing the Old Firm in the cup: exciting at first but eventually a rigmarole you can't really be fucked with almost identical to the previous time.

Surely you can do both? Weddings are totally different from any other mates night out. Different vibe, different crowd, totally different setting. Theres no way you can imply what your first sentence implies. 

Surely you can do both? Weddings are totally different from any other mates night out. Different vibe, different crowd, totally different setting. Theres no way you can imply what your first sentence implies. 
I wouldn't read too much seriousness into my unpopular opinion.

Of course you can do both but there's a much higher level of obligation to attend a wedding and there are other socially restrictive conventions one feels the need to adhere to.

I don't think anyone who enjoys weddings is a weirdo, and I've enjoyed the odd one myself, but none of them would trouble a list of best 100 nights out I've had. When I think back to the weddings I've attended I struggle to differentiate them. Perhaps that says more about the company I keep than weddings in general though.

Just now, DiegoDiego said:

I wouldn't read too much seriousness into my unpopular opinion.

Of course you can do both but there's a much higher level of obligation to attend a wedding and there are other socially restrictive conventions one feels the need to adhere to.

I don't think anyone who enjoys weddings is a weirdo, and I've enjoyed the odd one myself, but none of them would trouble a list of best 100 nights out I've had. When I think back to the weddings I've attended I struggle to differentiate them. Perhaps that says more about the company I keep than weddings in general though.

Yeah... I did clarify tha there are shit weddings, but the ones of my own and my close pals have been absolutely fantastic day and nights out

12 hours ago, 10menwent2mow said:

Absolutely this. There was a spell about 10 years ago when all my mates were in their late 20's and getting married, we were at all the fancy places round Aberdeen (Norwood, Marcliffe, Pittodrie House, Ardoe) and someone would drive and have a cool box in the boot and we'd pop out every now and then. The price of drink was scandalous then at these places, presume it's worse now. 

They are ready ripping off the bride and groom for food, venue hire, rooms, why can't they just charge reasonable prices for booze. Robbing b*****ds. That's without thinking about what the happy couple get ripped off for photographers, bands and cake. 

That one's fairly simple, becuase they fucking can. If a pub was too expensive, people would just go to another one. can't really do that when someones getting married

12 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Weddings should be filed with work events under Organised Fun.

In the same way I really cannot be bothered with New Year and the “forced fun” and expectation of having the time of your life, when it’s usually a long night in the house regurgitating the same Hogmanay format & chat you have every year with the same family folk, or you go out to the freezing cold to pay a fortune to see a few fireworks and shake hands with folk who’d happily walk past you any other time of the year.

51 minutes ago, deegee said:

In the same way I really cannot be bothered with New Year and the “forced fun” and expectation of having the time of your life, when it’s usually a long night in the house regurgitating the same Hogmanay format & chat you have every year with the same family folk, or you go out to the freezing cold to pay a fortune to see a few fireworks and shake hands with folk who’d happily walk past you any other time of the year.

^^^My kind of guy.

1 hour ago, deegee said:

I genuinely hate new year's eve. I'm generally quite a sociable person, but new year does my head in.

I hate the stupid p***ks who are out shouting happy new year at people or wanting to shake your hand or hug you for no reason. Away and get to absolute f**k.

For me it's filed alongside Halloween as a night for utter, utter cretins out doing what they think they should do, even though it's utter shite.

Fortunately, the missus feels the same about it, so we just get a good carry out in and ignore it.

Just now, VincentGuerin said:

I genuinely hate new year's eve. I'm generally quite a sociable person, but new year does my head in.

I hate the stupid p***ks who are out shouting happy new year at people or wanting to shake your hand or hug you for no reason. Away and get to absolute f**k.

For me it's filed alongside Halloween as a night for utter, utter cretins out doing what they think they should do, even though it's utter shite.

Fortunately, the missus feels the same about it, so we just get a good carry out in and ignore it.

I used to love it. Growing up it was a party. Visiting neighbour's houses in the early hours, taking a bag of drink. It all died out in the 90s though. 

Now it is just a festival of rotten TV. 

4 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

If it takes a wedding for all of your mates to have a great time together then perhaps you're not such good mates after all.

I've had decent times at weddings, but generally better, more memorable times with mates outwith weddings. Wedding invitations are like drawing the Old Firm in the cup: exciting at first but eventually a rigmarole you can't really be fucked with almost identical to the previous time.

What a strange post, nobody has said anything like what you’ve insinuated in the first paragraph. Weddings are just another event that all your mates attend and are therefore good fun. You’re also allowed to have good nights out with mates separate to weddings.

Bizarre stuff.

What a strange post, nobody has said anything like what you’ve insinuated in the first paragraph. Weddings are just another event that all your mates attend and are therefore good fun. You’re also allowed to have good nights out with mates separate to weddings.
Bizarre stuff.
But people have listed having all your mates around as the best part of it. You don't need a wedding to do that so I don't really see what they offer.

5 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:
6 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

But people have listed having all your mates around as the best part of it. You don't need a wedding to do that so I don't really see what they offer.

You pretty much do need a wedding for anyone with a real circle of friends, that therefore includes some folk who work/live elsewhere, some with kids and everyone with other social engagements - and work - to juggle as well. 

There can be no doubt that Hogmanay has went massively downhill and is a shadow of its former self, but can anyone pinpoint how or why this happened? my memory is of it going downhill after the millennium which was always going to be hard to beat. but I wisny that auld then and I did enjoy a good few parties up until 9 or 10 year ago when it seemed to die a death completely. thoughts?

3 hours ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

There can be no doubt that Hogmanay has went massively downhill and is a shadow of its former self, but can anyone pinpoint how or why this happened? my memory is of it going downhill after the millennium which was always going to be hard to beat. but I wisny that auld then and I did enjoy a good few parties up until 9 or 10 year ago when it seemed to die a death completely. thoughts?

I think it died away in the 90s. Remember first footing in the early 90s when I was 12 or 13 with my parents and siblings. Folk we didn't see all year would come to us as well. Jive Bunny playing on the record player. By the late 90s it had stopped. 

As to why, I really don't know. I blame Jive Bunny.