Unpopular opinions.

1 minute ago, DiegoDiego said:
4 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:
Opportunities in Scotland before there were professional clubs in Scotland?  Rhyme that yin for me.

Plenty other sports than football.

In the context of women's football - well done for out-pedanting ,me

In the context of women's football - well done for out-pedanting ,me
It wasn't in that context though, you said "give them opportunities in sport" not "the sport". Either you made a forgivable grammatical error and can't admit it, or you were simply wrong and can't admit it.

Either way don't try and cast me as the bad guy for pointing it out.

9 hours ago, Gordon EF said:

Wearing a suit to interviews or expecting others to is the worst kind of boomer behaviour.

The thinking was that if you wear a suit, a tie, we'll polished shoes and the correct socks then you have prepared for the interview and you might actually want the job.

By comparison if you simply wear the clothes that you normally wear then your attitude is "Hey is that vacancy still there? Might be interested.  If not, that's okay."

Not wearing a suit when everybody else is can feel awkward.

Thankfully it has been several years since I have had to wear a suit in a work environment.

Just now, Fullerene said:

The thinking was that if you wear a suit, a tie, we'll polished shoes and the correct socks then you have prepared for the interview and you might actually want the job.

By comparison if you simply wear the clothes that you normally wear then your attitude is "Hey is that vacancy still there? Might be interested.  If not, that's okay."

Not wearing a suit when everybody else is can feel awkward.

Thankfully it has been several years since I have had to wear a suit in a work environment.

Exactly, which is absolute boomer thinking. I could easily not give a shit about a job, be determined to do a fucking terrible job of it, and be woefully underqualified, but it's pretty easy to pit a suit on.

It's this sort of thinking that has had UK productivity behind most other western countries for years. A load of boomers in charge making hiring decisions based on people's clothes or facial hair or some shit.

22 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

Further to my post on PTTGOYN, women's football is awful and has no place on mainstream TV or media.

It's not an unpopular opinion. On the contrary, plenty of bitter divorced da-types have highly negative opinions on women's football and spend an inordinate amount of time and effort telling everyone else how little they care about it. 

5 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Exactly, which is absolute boomer thinking. I could easily not give a shit about a job, be determined to do a fucking terrible job of it, and be woefully underqualified, but it's pretty easy to pit a suit on.

It's this sort of thinking that has had UK productivity behind most other western countries for years. A load of boomers in charge making hiring decisions based on people's clothes or facial hair or some shit.

The same people are also very concerned about punctuality.  They despise the concept of work from home.  They can't stand banter in the office and they dislike tea breaks and lunch breaks.

You need to demonstrate your willingness to be in "work mode".

I prefer to see work as getting things done and properly at that.  Appearances are less important.

It feels really odd wearing a suit to an interview for a job where it'd be deeply impractical to wear one day-to-day.

In my last job, one of my colleagues turned up to work every day dressed up to the nines - dress suit, immaculate hair and make-up, jewellery, the works, like she was away to a board meeting. Our bosses loved her for it, and you'd occasionally hear comments about how it was a shame nobody else took such care in their appearance.

The job primarily consisted of raking through filthy, often flea-ridden bags of donated goods, getting down on your knees and scrubbing furniture, and manhandling it in and out of people's houses on a dirty old furniture van. Apparently it never occurred to the folk in cherge that she could play dress-up every day because she NEVER DID ANY FUCKING WORK.

I'll never wear a suit to an interview much in the same way I'll never wear one to court. 

The world has moved on since such archaic nonsense. Judge people on their personalities and their actions, not their appearance.

Edited by Mr. Alli

I think the only time I've worn a suit in the last 10 years was got my old man's funeral. I'll chuck on a shirt and tie when I'm representing at an appeal tribunal in person, but that's it. 

Back in the early 90s I got a sparky apprenticeship job offer over another boy because I'd had a shirt and tie on for the interview, and he didn't. A bizarre piece of decision-making considering that isn't exactly practical workwear anyway. I turned it down so I could go back to school and skive about for 5th and 6th year 😂

I like to begin an interview wearing a tuxedo and then change into a smoking jacket and cravat half-way through. Wardrobe changes mid-interview, while maintaining ludicrous levels of over-formality, really demonstrate how good at the job I'll be. 

Edited by Gordon EF

Genuinely delighted to see so many younger posters who refuse to slap on a three-piece cage just for a job. Hopefully it'll go the way of the dodo as a result.

Or a new generation of scabs will screw you all over, but let's try not to think about that.

13 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

It was bad enough first time round without you repeating it.

You can enjoy women's football for its own sake and on its own terms.  Plus with Rangers, Celtic and G City being professional teams and with Hibs and Hearts going semi-pro from this season we now have opportunities for young lassies to aim for a career in sport.  This is a good thing. 

As a little example...Broughton Academy in Embra is - delightfully - an SFA Performance School.  Here's a photo of this year's 'graduates'.  Only one of them has a league-winning medal for playing for their team at the highest level in Scottish Football:

1076377401_broughtonperformance.thumb.jpeg.cf1b14b93f1d91dbee9bc5950c3d9423.jpeg

Nice wee story and good for you and the young women. The quality is still poor however.

3 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:

It's not an unpopular opinion. On the contrary, plenty of bitter divorced da-types have highly negative opinions on women's football and spend an inordinate amount of time and effort telling everyone else how little they care about it. 

Whereas you not being divorced or a father loves the sport?

4 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

And your point is? The quality is light years ahead of women’s football even at Tier 6. Fact.

Anyone ends a point with "fact" is an absolute weapon. Honest.

Anyway the quality in, say, Liga MX is light years ahead of the West of Scotland League. Yet you support Auchinleck Talbot over UNAM. The quality in La Liga is light years ahead of the SPFL yet hundreds of thousands of us support Scottish clubs instead of just watching Real Sociedad on telly each week.

My point is someone supporting a part-time village outfit has a brass neck going on about the quality of another level of football. If it was just about quality then none of our teams would exist and no-one would watch them. 

1 minute ago, jimbaxters said:

Whereas you not being divorced or a father loves the sport?

You're doing an absolutely stand up job of convincing everyone you have "no interest" in women's football 😂

I don't get into a frothing mess over women's football, mainly because I am capable of accessing a webpage and clicking on the stories I want to read. Seemingly this is beyond you. I appreciate one must make allowances for junior thickos, but christ it really isn't that difficult.